Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytom View Post
Anybody replace the with a different pump. If so how did it work out? Getting tired of replacing mine
I have a Aquajet 5.3 and I just replaced it after several years of useage. I always keep a spare. The cost was 169.00 plus shipping. It is a great pump!

Joe Darling
38.5 2002 Alpine

jdarling10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2013, 07:53 AM   #16

I wonder why PPL or camping world doesn't carry Aquajet water pumps!

Old 04-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
The ONLY thing a Shur-Flow RV Water Pump is good for is a boat anchor and that's if you can tie a bunch of them together which should NOT be any problem as there are so many of them out there sitting in junk piles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytom View Post
Just ordered the Aquajet RV/ES 5.3
Good decision! You will NOT be disappointed with the Aqua-Jet pump.

My first Aqua-Jet was going on 10 years old and still worked great however I was heading out on a 5 week journey to Alaska from Florida about one year ago and did not want to have ANY water pump problems so I purchased a new one for $150. I kept the old one as a backup. Well later on the trip when we were in Watson Lake, Yukon a neighbor at the RV Park we were staying at for one night had tried to use his pump and discovered a crack in the housing due to improper winterizing. He needed a pump immediately and out came my backup to the rescue. He gave me $50 for it and ended up a very Happy Camper!

It is still working to this day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melorene View Post
I wonder why PPL or camping world doesn't carry Aquajet water pumps!
Because the Shur-Flo pumps need to be replaced so often that there are considered a consumable.

Whereas the Aqua-Jet water pumps are so reliable that they seldom need to be replaced.

You can't make any money on a product that doesn't fail.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 04-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #18

Maybe it's just luck. My Shurflo is original and still going strong after 15 years. Had Aquajet on my boat for 10 years and carried 2 as they always needed fixing.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #19

Mine is the one that came with my 08 rig and still works good.. am lucky and don't want to jinks it ..was just interested for future reference.. Mel
Old 04-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I gave up on the 5.7 after replacing it under warranty once or twice a year for several years ...5-6 times as I recall. I have a little 1.8 gpm Shurflo ...the backup I swapped out every time the 5.7 failed ...installed until I get around to getting an Aqua-Jet. Since we quit full timing I don't think about it as often.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Extreme™ Series Smart Sensor™ - SHURflo - According to this link the smart sensor 5.7 pump is still being manfactured. I have replaced mine 4 times, one time was my own fault, as I installed a solenoid valve backwards. The last one was because it was leaking at the o-ring between motor and pump head. Wonder if there is a part for that.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
I put a 5.7 in on 10/10/03.
It is still working with no problems.

Ran a 20 AMP wire from the battery to a relay and use the regular pump switches to turn the relay on.

Also put a loop in the water lines to cut down on noise/vibration.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Old Rv'er

I called SHURflo and they said the 5.7 Extreme Series pump is no longer being made. It is still listed on their web site for reference only (for parts).

bonzocfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
Hmmm, guess I will wait and see if they replace it with another model before I jump into a new brand and the re-routing of the plumbing to make it work.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #25

Very funny! We have 4 of them on our boat. One is in use and has been in use successfully for 3 years.

However, within a month of owning the boat, the one that came on the boat failed. Jabsco gave no indication they would warranty the pump or replace it when we called them.

So we bought a new one (needed a pump NOW!) from Amazon. Then it failed too!!!!

Amazon replaced it, but in the meantime my hubby took the first failed pump apart and discovered the problem was grit in the diaphram that prevented it from closing with a tight seal. Once thoroughly cleaned, the pump worked fine again.

The fixed unit went back into the box from Amazon and we stored it away.

Then over the next 3 months two more pumps arrived from Jabsco. Brand new!!! What a surprise!!

Since we're cruising in Mexico it's handy to have the spare pumps... I think all the trouble was using dock water to fill our tanks and then living on holding tank water when we lived at a marina in Ensenada (we filtered the water but it was just a single filter... should have been double).

We haven't used dock water in 3 years, and magically, the pump hasn't failed (we use a desalination system to make drinking water from ocean water and the desalinated water is extremely pure)...

So, if you dare, try taking the pump apart and clean the diaphragm really thoroughly...
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rv'er View Post
Hmmm, guess I will wait and see if they replace it with another model before I jump into a new brand and the re-routing of the plumbing to make it work.
I asked them that exact question and they said no. They have a pump with a 4.0 gpm, which is the highest volume unit they have. When mine finally gives up the ghost (I'm on my third), I'll switch to an aqua-jet pump.

bonzocfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #27

First 5.7 lasted almost 5 years. Replaced Feb 2012. This one is now failing and getting very hot - shutting off. Called them - ship it back and they may fix it or just send you a 4048 unit. Or alternatively, send back the label and they'll send a 4048. I'm doing the latter. Will look into the Aqua-Jet.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #28

Looking at the reviews of the 4048 on Amazon you may not want to do that.

Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, replace