Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #29

I am on my second Shurflo 5.7 in about 10 years--couple of years now for the second one and so far so good. Couple of issues especially if you have a "high-use" pump application [eg, RO]: 1] rerouting pump 12v power to a clean 20 amps source with a relay to the pump switches is a key upgrade to perserve pump life; 2] some RVs use a controller [logitech??] of some type to link multiple switches--could this be a contributing factor for failures? 3] Low voltage [ie long wiring runs between switches] and the subsequent over heating could cause pump seals to fail; 4] using a loop of flex pipe to isolate pump from pex pipe is a good idea; 5] Not sure you really need a 5.7 in an RV unless you have RO--having "multi-faucet" output capacity with 100 gals of water onboard seems like overkill.

Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #30

Algoma - actually will use the 4048 temporarily until I switch to the AquaJet folks are talking about.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
The original 5.7 failed on our initial shakedown run of our MH less than a month after we bought it. A replacement 5.7 was out of the question due to cost management, but we did find a 4.+ unit on a shelf in an RV parts store. The GPH was less, but the pressure was about 6-7 psi higher, but still within the limits of the plumbing.

I replaced the pump, which included a debris screen filter fitting, in less than an hour, connected to existing wiring, flipped the switch and voila! I have, what appears to be, the same volume, flow, and pressure of FW from my tank, but the gph rate is 1 gallon less per hour than the original.

By far, the easiest repair I have made on the coach to date...
jnp_macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnp_macklin View Post
The original 5.7 failed on our initial shakedown run of our MH less than a month after we bought it. A replacement 5.7 was out of the question due to cost management, but we did find a 4.+ unit on a shelf in an RV parts store. The GPH was less, but the pressure was about 6-7 psi higher, but still within the limits of the plumbing.

I replaced the pump, which included a debris screen filter fitting, in less than an hour, connected to existing wiring, flipped the switch and voila! I have, what appears to be, the same volume, flow, and pressure of FW from my tank, but the gph rate is 1 gallon less per hour than the original.

By far, the easiest repair I have made on the coach to date...
My 5.7 was cycling on and off so I took it apart and cleaned off the calcified valves. I put it back together and it now works fine. As a precaution I ordered a new valve assembely. Here are the prices I found....$85. at Camping World, $59. on the Internet and $35. at . http://www.solar-electric.com/
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
rerouting pump 12v power to a clean 20 amps source with a relay to the pump switches is a key upgrade to perserve pump life

using a loop of flex pipe to isolate pump from pex pipe is a good idea
That is how I installed my 5.7 Pump 9 years & 8 months ago.
It is still working great with no problems even at being Full Time all of those years.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #34

Alpine Owners Club
I have a Aquajet!! 5.3GPM and its reliability is fantastic. In fact 2 years ago I bought a spare and its still in the box. Cost is $169 and well worth it.
jdarling10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #35

Alpine Owners Club
After replacing four Shurflo 5.7 pumps in a period of 7 years I have gone to the Aquajet 5.3. I only did this in January, but so far I am pleased with its performance When traveling I have always shut the pump off, otherwise without fail, I would find it running whenever I stopped even through I would have at least half a tank of water.

2005 Alpine 36 MDDS
2994 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Old 06-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
My Aqua-Jet pump is on 24/7 while traveling or not. Sometimes the water pressure is too low at the place where we happen to be staying and the on-board water pump will supplement the water pressure.

Occasionally, I will hear my pump cycle for a split second and that tells me that it is trying to pressurize the city water supply because its way TOO low.

if your pump is running when you are not using any faucet or water THEN you have a leak, a problem with your pump that needs attention or a circulation problem.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
I have also found my Aquajet running (cavatating) after a long drive and the tank is at least half full and there are no water leaks. If the tank is full, it doesn't seem to happen. Don't know why this is happening except the supply line is very small, haven't messured it but it's about 1/2 dia. I think a larger supply line would help but seems like it would be hard to connect a larger fitting to the tank. Any suggestions other than turning the pump off while traveling.
thebings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
I would look at the pressure switch on the pump to see if it is working correctly. That could be the cause of the cycling.

When you think about the entire water pump and delivery system, the water pump should pressurize the water lines until it reaches it set limit and then turn off. If that set pressure is maintained and never reduces then the water pump should not turn on again until it does sense water being used or the pressure has been reduced below the set point.

If the pump cannot maintain the pressure then it will keep running until it can reach the pressure.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
And if you dont have a supply of water to the pump it will never build pressure to activate the pressure shut off switch
thebings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #40

Took my 5.7 n+1 off the shelf & installed today. Last one died on the way to Colorado 'bout a month ago, so we've been running on the ancient 45psi spare which worked fine. New one runs great. For now. Still have the spare mounted for quick change-over.
When new one dies, I'll try the Aquajet.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Took my 5.7 n+1 off the shelf & installed today. Last one died on the way to Colorado 'bout a month ago, so we've been running on the ancient 45psi spare which worked fine. New one runs great. For now. Still have the spare mounted for quick change-over. When new one dies, I'll try the Aquajet.
Aquajet is the real deal.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:52 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a problem with my ShurFlo 5.7 cycling Arizona wind and sun sells ShurFlo diaphragm valve kits at low prices.

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, replace