Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2013, 06:12 PM   #1

5.7 Shurflo replacement

Anybody replace the with a different pump. If so how did it work out? Getting tired of replacing mine
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
How many times have you replaced the pump they last for years
Old 01-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #3

This is the third time
Old 01-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wow they make a good product too you think it's just that model that sounds like that model that changes speed with the demand of water flow, you can put any 12V water pump in there just make the correct fitting changes wire it in and your good
Old 01-27-2013, 06:56 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Installed my 5.7 Oct. 03. Still works great.
I installed mine with the power coming straight from the battery to a relay, using OEM switches to turn the relay on/off

This one has great reviews if you are going to replace it.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:04 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I also had problems with my 5.7 Shurflo, it was just a little over a year old. Company would not honor the warranty because they said it was a "RV manufacturer only" model that is only installed in New RV's and only has a one year warranty. It was installed by a dealer just before I bought the coach. This dealer is out of state so rather than hassle them for a replacement, I decided to go with a different company. I replaced it with a Aquajet/RV by Aquatec a little over a year ago and I am happy with it. It was easy to install with existing plumbing. Here is a link to their web site.
Aquajet RV/ES Pumps
thebings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #7

Thanks the bings and triker56 thats the kind on info I was looking for. Checked the reviews on various sights and they were outstanding. The best part is that this pump is $100 less than the 5.7. The Shurflo 5.7 is pure junk in my opinion.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:35 AM   #8

REf the comment about rewiring--think this is the way to go, no matter which replacement pump you select. If you were to trace the wiring between the 3-way switch in the kitchen area and the one in the bathroom you would find a lot of wire. I installed a common automotive relay--used the existing switch wire to activate the relay, and spliced into the heavy line feeding the shore-power cord reel in the same area for power. Used the inline fuse that came with the new pump to protect the new relay circuit. Unlikely you will be using the cord reel and pumping water at the same time--saves having to route a new/dedicated line back to the fuse main block....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Because customers had so many problems with it, Shurflo no longer makes the 5.7

bonzocfi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #10

I'm on my 3rd 5.7. They are great pumps while they work. Unreliability got to be enough of an issue I put a Y in the tank outlet, mounted my practically antique spare pump w/a check valve & Y back into the coach plumbing (two pumps on parallel lines). Now when 5.7#3 goes out I just crawl in & disconnect spade connectors on the 5.7 & plug in the spare. Got tired of finding the pinch clamps & swapping out pumps while camping (and in the middle of a shower). That apparently struck terror in the heart of the current 5.7 as it is lasting going on 3 years. All prior pumps were warranteed.

I have one more 5.7 replacement on the shelf. After that I'll try the AquajetRV pump. 5gpm @ 85psi. Impressive. But I'll keep the y-mounted spare just in case.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I'm also on my 3rd. The Aquajet will be my choice as well when the time comes!

bonzocfi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #12

Just ordered the Aquajet RV/ES 5.3
Old 01-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytom
Just ordered the Aquajet RV/ES 5.3
X2.
Installed this pump almost 2 years ago. Works great.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #14

I am also on my third 5.7 pump, and like EngineerMike, I have another one in the coach as a spare. It is wired with quick disconnects and can be installed in under 15 minutes. (I have a shutoff valve installed in the line from the tank to the pump, so I don't have to drain the tank first.) However the third one has been on the coach for around 5 years now, and I use it a lot. I rarely run off of city water, I always use the pump. If/when I need to put on the 4th one, I will also purchase the Aquajet mentioned above.

Some of the earlier mentioned pumps have a lower flow rate, if that matters to you.

For what its worth, Shurflo honored the 3 year warranty on my second pump. I waited too long to try and collect on the warranty for the first one. Date of manufacture is on the pump.

Tags
replacement, replace