Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2008, 04:46 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Looking for input on which satellite dishes are the best. Has anyone had luck with the Motosat HD-SL5 unit. How about Weingard? I currently have an S360 Tracstar unit that is no longer able to follow the new Directv satellites.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2008, 04:46 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Looking for input on which satellite dishes are the best. Has anyone had luck with the Motosat HD-SL5 unit. How about Weingard? I currently have an S360 Tracstar unit that is no longer able to follow the new Directv satellites.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:25 PM   #3

We have had the new MotoSat HD-Sl5 for three months and are finding that it works very well with DirectTV. Our system includes the NOMAD 2.

Recently DirectTV made some changes to its Satellite IDs. When the MotoSat suddenly became erratic, we were told that we needed to download an upgrade . This can be done online if you have the correct cables. In our case, MotoSat sent us an upgrade module which we plugged in, followed directions, and then returned the module.

The system now works perfectly again.

Thus, it appears that MotoSat is very compatible with DirectTV and has plans to continuously upgrade the software when necessary.

Plus Noel (Bischon Frise)
Joel & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:08 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Jerry..
we have had ours since early this year. The MotoSat 5LNB has been wonderful.
I did get the latest upgrade done also without any problems occurring before the upgrade...All I can say is..I LOVE MY MOTOSAT!!

I will never go back to any other sat. system.

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:32 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Another satisfied MotoSAT customer here.

MotoSAT has such a great reputation, there is no need to look elsewhere.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:48 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I chose MotoSat. I had an early one on our last coach and found it to work excellent. I chose it over the Weingard, as I felt that MotoSat has the most experience in motorized dishes and build a robust unit. A 5 LNB unit is the only way to go if you want to use a DVR and want HD TV.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:00 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just chiming in to say that my Wingard 3005 has been flawless and locks on in minutes, HD delight inside and out. I hope I'm as happy with it in a couple of years. Only time will tell, I'm putting a red led on the mast to be as cool as you guys...LOL

Al

Morancy Adventures!!
03HRVacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:44 AM   #8

We have the moto sat antenna and love it. takes a bit to lock on. Also if you have a computer you can download the latest update with a cord you need to order from motosat. only problem with that is if your computer is Vista, not xp, Vista does not have a hyperterminal and cannot transfer the information to the Nomad 2. I hope that someday that Moto Sat will develop a program that doesn't require hyperterminal to upgrade. May just get an old xp latpop just to upgrade. the modules work great tho. Ya gotta love the blue light on the dish but the one on the nomad 2 sure is bright at night so the cabinet door is closed.
Melorene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:52 AM   #9

Melorene,

With Windows Vista, Hyperterminal does not exist, but Telnet does. Perhaps, Telnet will give you the access to MotoSat that you need to do an upgrade. Telnet is not installed in Vista by default. You will have to install it:
1. Go to Windows HELP and type Telnet
2. Select Frequently Asked Questions
3. Select How do I install Telnet
4. This will give you step by step instructions for installing Telnet.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:17 PM   #10

Telnet and Hyper-terminal are not the same and are not interchangeable. You cannot use Telnet to update the Nomad 2 TV controller. Telnet works with the MotoSAT Datastorm D3 controller but the D3 does not require Hyper-terminal.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:35 AM   #11

I had my King Dome removed and a Motosat HD-SL5 installed in its place earlier this year. The Motosat works great. Had to give up recording TV shows on the DVR while I'm driving, but it was worth the sacrifice.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:58 PM   #12

I hear great things about the Motosat, but I have two of the Winegard 3005's, one on the coach one on my race trailer. I got them because it is easier to find a service center for Winegard than it is for Motosat. No real problems with the Winegards, they seem to work great.

CSX4350 is offline   Reply With Quote