Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #1

'98 King Controls Fuel/Cruise problem

Fellow owner is stuck in WA, w/Cruise Control & fuel delivery problem.
C-engine, so throttle is mechanical (not ECM control of fuel injection), gas pedal is electronic & delivers signal to fuel modulator device on engine.
Engine has King Controls ETS Electronic Throttle System to control fuel delivery including CC feature. His is messing up, sending rev's high. Has at least some mechanical issue(s) like frayed cable.

Anybody had experience w/repair or replacement of this setup? I did searches here on iRV2 on King Controls, 98 throttle, etc. and came up w/nothing.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #2

Mike, I replaced my King Control unit some while back. If the unit is sent in they will check it and either repair the existing unit or provide a replacement with a warranty. Here is their website Cruise Controls for Diesel engines.

Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #3

Thanks Al, I forwarded the link to the owner who is laid up. He may be on to that as a source of repair, or he may have another "guy" the shop found. Either way he said he'd let me know how he works it out & I'll post the results.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:33 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
After many trials and tribulations I can finally get here with what I've found out. Algoma, your source seems to be the go-to place for repair. Mike, thank-you for starting this thread.
This morning as I was about to enter onto I-5 the throttle started raceing. Got the coach stopped, and in neutral. Engine running 2100 RPM. Luckily, was only 2 blocks from a truck repair facility, Pacific Power Products. They sent a guy over who was able to back off the throtle. Drove over to the shop, got there and the engine was turnning 1600 R's, and wasn't slowing down. The shop found Cruise King in MN and talked with them. Additionally, shop reported seeing several issues, including a fraying cable. They will take the unit off tomorrow and ship to Cruise King for repair.
After getting back to the S&B house, tried to access the ACA Tech Library section on the King Controls throttle/cruise and adobe reported that the doc was broken and could not be repaired. Found a doc from a Foretravel owner who had some trouble- shooting info. There are two springs that are supposed to pull the throttle back when the accelerator is backed off. I'm thinking that these springs both are broken. Tech reported that he saw other issues in addition. When I have more info on the particulars I will post.
Started to begin this post several hours ago while at the shop. However, the computer battery chose that moment to run out of juice, BUMMER.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:26 AM   #5

Cruise King has a good wiring diagram and diagnostic chart on the website that helped me in finding the problem. Turns out I had burnt out circuit board tracks so had to replace it. Luckily the King Control box is easy to remove and I think cost around $600 to replace. Jeff, the 2 springs you mentioned are Cummins parts and on my engine they were still in perfect condition.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Talked to service rep this AM, the working theory is that the fraying cable had a burr that was interfering with the springs ability to return throttle to idle. The controller is off and heading to MN for repair.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:34 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
The fix is in. Fantastic customer service all around. Got the coach back from Pacific Power Products on Friday (4/19) and called Cruise King LLC (507-334-0250) on Monday (4/22). According to Cruise King, the culprit was the unit being connected to the throttle arm incorrectly. This could have happened when WRV installed or when I had the exhaust manifold replaced in 4/10, the coach had about 80,000 miles on it at the time. If bettin' I'd say it was the latter.
The cable attaching the control unit to the throttle arm is about 2 1/2 inches long. The throttle arm is rotatable through 360-degrees and has three holes in it for attaching a throttle cable. For proper installation the arm needs to be rotated to about 8 o'clock and the control unit attached to the first hole.
In my case the throttle arm was in the 6 o'clock position and, in order for the cable to be taunt, the cable was installed in the third hole. This caused the cable to rub against the control housing, cutting into the housing and fraying the cable.
Cruise King charges to fix the control unit amounted to $166. Turn-around time was 1 day!!
I think that does it. Hope this is helpful.