Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #1

99 36fds need steering stabilizer shock

Where can I find one
When you jack front of coach up the wheels turn hard right

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #2

There is something wrong with your steering if that happens and a stabilizer won't fix it. Take it to a shop and get it looked at.

Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #3

Took steering stab shock off and is perfect
Obviously oil is trapped in one side of cyl of shock and won't let shock cycle
I'm going to take a trip in it without the stabil shock and try it
Old 09-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #4

That must have been an add-on as the coach does not have one as standard. Driving it without one is how it was meant to be. Your original question sounded like you wanted to add one to fix a problem.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #5

We found on an 06 that a large steering stabilizer shock had fought w/the ball joints & worn them out prematurely. Might have yours checked or DIY. If there is enough play to feel in either the drag link or tie rod then the ball joints are due for replacing.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #6

I had one of the big blue cylinder on our Alpine. It had one end attached to the tie rod. It seemed that if that attachment slipped just a fraction it would cause the steering wheel to be off center when going straight. Engineer mike may be right about premature tie rod ball wear as the cylinder puts a lot of pressure of them. Any way took the cylinder off and have been ok since. Seems like any add on just causes unintended things to happen.

doug
01 Alpine 36 MDS 330 Cummins
Old 09-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #7

For purposes of info only, the sole purpose of the stabilizer discussed above is to keep the front wheels straight in case of a front tire blow out. I had a catastrophic blowout at 45mph on the right front which resulted in the coach going hard right into a guard rail and taking about 200 feet of rail out and the left side of the coach and right rear of the toad. I won't dispute that maybe I could have handled the coach better than I did and avoid some of the damage, but the 2 preventative things I did after the MH was fixed was to install the steer stabilizer and install the pressure pro tire pressure system. Yes the steer stabilizer will cause the coach to steer right or left if not properly aligned and I have had to realign it once in the 8 years it has been on my coach. It surely does give me comfort on the road that in case of a blowout this will help the coach go straight. Believe me after the disaster it was some time before my wife and I felt comfortable when there was a sudden drop on the right side of the road.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #8

Not that I have one but the Blue Ox TruCenter allows you to recenter the steering while driving. I have looked at them all and would probably choose this unless I can afford a new motorhome that has Comfort Drive!
Old 09-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #9

Steering stablizer

I am referring to the blue Safe-T-Plus cylinder. I did not mean to infer that the cylinder was not a good idea. I have read comments from others, that have the cylinder, that it saved them from a catsrophe (ms). I would have left mine on but could not keep it adjusted. I have no first hand knowledge about excessive wear on the tie rod or drag link ends. May or may not be. I Shouldn't haven't commented as I have no first hand knowledge about that.

PS: Henderson Line Up has an on the fly add on to the cylinder that you can adjust from the driver seat to keep going straight when road conditions want to pull your coach sideways.

Tags
steering