Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:35 AM   #1
A&E awning beeping

After several days of hard rain and some some snow the black control box on the auto retract A and E awning is beeping. I am currently connected to shore power. I can stop the beeping by turning the awning black control box off. Can't try the awning as I am parked next to my house and it is still raining. Does anyone have any idea what the beeping means or how to stop it. The basement area is not wet. Thanks in advance.

Jerry 2006 34 Alpine

jerry and toni smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
For my A&E, that's supposed to mean the outside temperature is below freezing, and I think the awning is out (which means you should bring it in). But my beeping is somewhat erratic also - haven't figured it out.

GMDavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:40 AM   #3
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar
The A&E manual gives some instructions on diagnosis. Try those...When I had the problem none of the diagnostics solved the problem so I left the control box off. You may have water in the wind sensor electrical connection on the roof. My problem was solved by having the wind sensor replaced as it had failed.
2008 Jeep Sahara '4Dr"
Ronnie Bledsoe
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
Alpine Owners Club
Good Morning Jerry,

I've got the same problem and just left the toggle switch off on the black box. We never leave the awning out for extended periods if we're not there and never leave it out overnight. So, since I'm not using the functions the wind sensor provides (if it were working) we don't bother with it.

So, after reading of other users having the same sounding problem, I decided to eliminate the frustration by just turning off the switch. I have not taken the time to follow the suggestions in the Troubleshooting Guide (see page 3, item #9).

The Troubleshooting Guide is here:

And an interesting thread (owners with same problem) in another forum is here:
Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Weather Pro Awning Wind Sensor

Here's another interesting thread from an iRV2 Forum:
Wind sensor A&E Weather Pro Awning

(Maybe it'd be a good idea to send that A&E Troubleshooting Guide off to EM to add to the ACA Tech site.)

We just had a drop in temps up here from +15 to -15 (which is more seasonal for us [Prudhoe Bay, Alaska]).

Say hi to Toni!

Mike and Mike (Michele)

2004 Alpine 34 FDDS
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:53 AM   #5
The beeping means the control box is not communicating with the sensor. This happens when the sensor gets wet, it is too cold or too hot. When the condition that caused it changes it will start communicating again and the beeping will stop. As you said, turning the sensor switch to Disable will stop the beeping and it disables Automatic mode. You can still extend the awning and retract it, the wind sensor just doesn't work.

This is really not a malfunction, it is the way it is designed.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:18 AM   #6
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Even if the awning is in, if the outside temps drop below a set point (I think it is indeed freezing but I'm not sure) the blasted beeper beeps.

just disable the wind speed sensor (Toggle on the side of the control box) and it will stop

There are two major awning makers.. A&E and Carfree of Co.

I like the Carefree control system, It's way better than the A&E in my not very humble opinion

I like the A&E awnings however... (Where as I don't like the Carfree awnings)

EIther way... You loose.

One of these days I"ll de-engineer my A&E and re-design it right.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:20 AM   #7
Mike and all, thanks for your replies. If I am lucky it just may be that it is wet from exceptionally heavy rain. After it dries out I will try and then proceed from there. Mike you have the right idea. If the fix is excessive I will just use the power switch and keep the wind sensor off.

Jerry 2006 34 Bet your wind sensors are frozen in Alaska!
Old 12-13-2009, 11:35 AM   #8
A&E redesigned the sensor and control box a few years ago. My 2005 Dutch Star had the old design and it failed under warranty. Newmar replaced it with the newly designed sensor and control box. Look at you roof sensor and if it has aluminum foil on top it is the new design. Newmar also added an antenna to my control box to give the remote a longer distance, but it did not help. Now I understand there is a newer new design.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:45 PM   #9
As indicated in numerous other posts, the sensor is likely the problem. I had a similar experience where we were in a very heavy rainstorm and afterwards the beeping started coming from the control box. After hearing the same stories as you have here, I removed the sensor and disassembled it and found that one of the components on a small circuit board had burned out, likely due to water intrusion in the sensor. A & E won't just sell a replacement sensor and the only fix appears to be replacement of both the sensor and control box. I hope your sensor is still good, but this is a common failure of the 2005-2006 vintage automatic sensor/controls.
John & Carol Randolph
2005 Alpine 34 FDDS
2006 Jeep Liberty
johnwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:37 PM   #10
Got up on the roof today to inspect the AnE sensor. Discovered that the hard blowing rain had filled the space under the cap with water held inside by surface tension. Blew the water out and turned auto close back on. The beeping has stopped. Unable to try the awning due to side of house. This may be the reason that so many Sensors fail. Check the sensor after heavy rains or snow.

Jerry 2006 34, 2002 Jeep Liberty
Old 11-21-2010, 01:52 PM   #11
Heavy rain last night, walked by coach this a.m. and heard the beep, beep, beep. Guess the new new design hasn't fixed this issue. First time I've noticed it but it could have happened before & self-fixed. I'll drag the air hose out & blow out the sensor.
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #12
I've replaced two sensors and the related control box because A&E wouldn't sell them separately. Same issue; gets below freezing with moisture in the sensor and the sensor goes. I've found the beeping happens once the sensor doesn't work, and after that all I can do is disable the wind sensor at the control box and order a new set. I have an extra control box if anybody needs one - didn't replace the last control box.
Former Owner, 2006 36MDDS
2010 Arctic Fox 22GK Travel Trailer
2007 Toyota Tundra
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:05 AM   #13
Would be a good topic for the DRR X Desert Rat Quartzsite Rally gear head session ...Mel

Melorene is offline   Reply With Quote