Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:02 PM   #1

A/C Condensation Leak - Should my coach have drains?

I came home today to find water coming in from the front A/C. I've had a few drips before, but nothing like this. I've done some searching on the forum and I found where someone said there is a drain pipe coming down the coach. However, it said it was only on certain models. Does anyone know if mine has the drain pipe or if mine is just supposed to come off of the side of the coach? Thanks!

GT

GTHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2009, 04:32 PM   #2

GT,

All the Alpine Coaches have drain lines for Air Conditioner condensation. Remove the cover over the washable filter on the bottom side of the Air Conditioner. With a flashlight, you should then be able to see a clear drain tube that is about 1/2 inch in diameter. For the front air conditioner that tube should exit underneath the coach at about midway. For the rear air conditioner that tube should exit some where in the engine bay area. I've found that I can sometimes clear this tube by blowing compressed air through it from the exit point in the engine bay or underneath the coach. Of course, if anything nasty comes out, it might end up inside your coach. You can also pull the shroud off the top of the air conditioner to see the condensation drain tray from above, so that you can visualize how this drain system works.

Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:04 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
GT:

We have the same coach. I've had the same problem, too.

The front drain line exits at the front left corner of the coach. Open the front generator slide and you'll see a 1/2" white tube right by the fuel fill.

The rear drain line exits and the rear left corner of the coach. Open the engine hatch and you'll see a 1/2" white tube about 10" from the side of the coach, quite near the radiator fill.

I discovered the cause of my leak when I decided to blow out the tubes because the water was running across the roof. When I blew (low tech mouth-on-tube method) lots of water came shooting out of the inside vents. The tubes were not well connected under the units.

Like Dale mentions, remove the covers from the ceiling and with a flashlight you'll see the tubes. They run left to right. They meet another tube (going to the drain) at a black plastic tee. That's where my additional pressure forced the already leaking joint completely open. Just push them back together.

Now, if my coach is reasonably level, the drains work. Of course it only took two years to get it completely fixed. I knew about the tubes, but suspect a clog was backing up water, causing a slow leak. My blowing out the tube seems to have cleared the obstruction.

BTW I found the front tube runs up the middle of the coach to the TV cabinet (above TV) then turns left and goes to the corner before dropping. To see it, you have to remove the TV (and preferably throw it away).
Old 08-14-2009, 08:10 PM   #4

GT:
I've never had the water come inside, but then I've never been able to keep the water from draining out of the air conditioning units and onto the roof either. Guaranty spent several days trying to get the water to drain overboard with no success. Then Cummins Cal Pacific spent even more time installing a new "Drip Pan Kit;" still no success. Both lines are clear, I've hit them with my air compressor from the exit point and the air comes out very nicely just where it's supposed to at the drip pan and cups. Guaranty gets it back in September for another go at it. If anyone has any suggestions I'm open to try anything at this point. I'm really getting tired of the dust on the roof turning to mud and then running down the sides of the black and silver paint. I know, I'll just have it repainted to Cinnabark and then maybe the mud won't show so badly. Now that's a great idea!!!
Old 08-15-2009, 01:17 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Dick:

I've found the level of the coach makes a difference. There was an earlier thread about what folks consider level. Well, my "old level" was the computer desk, and the front AC would spill over onto the roof. The rear was (usually) fine.

My "new" level is the dining table, verified also by the lack of swing in the watercloset door. That level keeps both my ACs draining properly.

The drain pans under the AC units are very shallow and very little tolerance for their "out of level".
Old 08-15-2009, 09:33 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
A/C Condensation Leak

Dick I don't know if this is the problem but here is what happened to me. Three years ago after driving from North Dak where we purchased the MH we turned the a/c on and hello water inside. Went straight to Ironhorse RV a tech got on a ladder looked at the a/c and said the gasket under the unit has been tighten down to much. I let them put a new one on and it never leaked again. Hope this helps you can tell by looking at the difference in the two units(that is if one leaks and one does not.)
jack and josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:39 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
On my '02 I traced the front drain tube and found low spots. These effectively blocked the tube. After I made sure that the tube had a slope to it everywhere, it drained fine. The '02 ran the drain line all the way back to the fridge and then thru the holding tank area to the drivers side, so it was a much longer run than the newer ones, but low spots can cause traps in any small drain line.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:27 PM   #8

My thanks for all the new suggestions from takepride, Jack, and Dale. I'll definitely give all these a try before we see the folks at Guaranty next month. Fortunately, Jack, so far all the condensation run-off has been out side on the roof and not on the living room floor.