Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:18 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
We bought our used coach this past June, just in time for the hot Phoenix summer. Needless to say we only stay @ parks w/ 50A during that time of year.

While getting to know the coach, we finally decided that due to the performance of the front air (15 degree in/out temp difference) that we would replace it.

We were at an Outdooor Resorts in Indio during the middle of the summer (remember being from Phx we only call it "slightly warm" at that time) and under the cover of darkness (cooler) we replaced the front roof air. We were 2 of the only 8 coaches present in the whole resort at the time!

(That's me on the ladder in the background)

Well, turns out while removing the A/C drain kit from original A/C unit they pretty much broke into a 1/2 dozen pieces. So we installed the unit without the drain cups (we needed another A/C gasket to do it right anyway).

Back at home I attempted to source the drain cups, but without spending $40/each, it wasn't gonna happen (super glue didn't work either). So off to the hardware store.

I ended up fabbing my own using 4" PVC pipe end caps. The cap has a pretty square profile, i.e. |__| Some have a very rounded end face, which caused clearance issues, plus the water exit is on the side.

Here's the original drain cups:

This is what I ended up with:

I had to cut the height of the cap down, but it's just PVC, so that was easy. I re-used the hoses and misc connectors. I used small angle brackets to fasten the new cup to the bottom of the A/C unit, using SS screws due to the water in the cups. After fixing a kink in the front hose that I found in the holding tank compartment, they have been working great!

The new A/C was really worth it while spending 2 weekends @ Lake Mohave in July and August almost freezing ourselves out of the coach!

Jeff_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2007, 12:18 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
We bought our used coach this past June, just in time for the hot Phoenix summer. Needless to say we only stay @ parks w/ 50A during that time of year.

While getting to know the coach, we finally decided that due to the performance of the front air (15 degree in/out temp difference) that we would replace it.

We were at an Outdooor Resorts in Indio during the middle of the summer (remember being from Phx we only call it "slightly warm" at that time) and under the cover of darkness (cooler) we replaced the front roof air. We were 2 of the only 8 coaches present in the whole resort at the time!

(That's me on the ladder in the background)

Well, turns out while removing the A/C drain kit from original A/C unit they pretty much broke into a 1/2 dozen pieces. So we installed the unit without the drain cups (we needed another A/C gasket to do it right anyway).

Back at home I attempted to source the drain cups, but without spending $40/each, it wasn't gonna happen (super glue didn't work either). So off to the hardware store.

I ended up fabbing my own using 4" PVC pipe end caps. The cap has a pretty square profile, i.e. |__| Some have a very rounded end face, which caused clearance issues, plus the water exit is on the side.

Here's the original drain cups:

This is what I ended up with:

I had to cut the height of the cap down, but it's just PVC, so that was easy. I re-used the hoses and misc connectors. I used small angle brackets to fasten the new cup to the bottom of the A/C unit, using SS screws due to the water in the cups. After fixing a kink in the front hose that I found in the holding tank compartment, they have been working great!

The new A/C was really worth it while spending 2 weekends @ Lake Mohave in July and August almost freezing ourselves out of the coach!

Jeff_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:07 PM   #3

Another great job Jeff! Also good to be able to put a face with the name
hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:22 AM   #4

My wife and I drove out to Outdoor Resorts one of "those" days in late July to take care of some business. As we approached from L.A. the thermometer in our car hit about 108 deg. in Riverside, and by the time we pulled into our spot at ODR it hit 122 Degrees!!! It was so hot I thought my eyes were floating in molten lava!
There were only a very few coaches there..yours probably being one of them. It certainly made me decide to never leave my coach there during the hottest summer months. It can't be very good for the coach to sit unattended in that kind of blistering heat!
Old 02-01-2007, 11:32 AM   #5

Yep,
brutal out there in the summer months. Those ODR sites are FULL right now!
hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote