Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #15

Looks like a combination of laminating more fiberglass as takepride did, and aluminum straping might be the ticket. Gotta be cheaper than new shrouds!
glacier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2011, 06:55 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Texun1:

Looks my shrouds would be $99.50. Yes, the repair would be a lot cheaper, though based on what I'm seeing, the shroud will eventually shatter as it gets more and more brittle.

BTW, last year I responded to a Duo Therm Exec's email to one of our members where he denied knowing of any problems with their product. Is he INSANE!!!! How could they be that immune to complaints. A good business person would not only know of the problems, but be working on the cure. Sounds like Dometic could use a personnel upgrade, followed by a product upgrade.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:00 PM   #17

Go online to PPL and they have some good prices. About 60% of what Camping World has and others that I have looked at. I picked up 2 for mine and got both for just $30 more than what 1 would cost at CW
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:16 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
PPL's price is $115 for the Penguin shroud.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texun1 View Post
Depends on your model but these folks have the best prices & service I have found.

Replacement RV Parts & Fender Skirts - AC Shrouds & more - IconDirect.com
I bought Shrouds from IconDirect as well here are some pictures.
AC Shroud Project - Windows Live

Dick
Old 05-01-2011, 11:16 PM   #20

Strapping over the top or reinforcement of the mounting holes is the only way on this rather poorly designed cover. Our covers were made of plastic as I recall. With the wind buffeting and the sun degrading the plastic it is no wonder they crack and fly away. I just don't want the poor unsuspecting drivers following to have to dodge the junk flying from our roof. We would never know when it departs!
beagle
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:55 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am replacing mine with the ICON part. I think a couple of extra screw holes will help spread out the forces on the shroud.
sCarycary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:10 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
You can drive screws doun through the top into sheet metal of the AC unit for extra support. Our Solar Panels were riveted on down through the top.

Dick
Old 09-22-2011, 12:34 PM   #23

The Dometic (and maybe other brands also) shroud is an integral part of the evaporator coil air box. When replacing the shroud, be sure to accurately replace the foam to close off the . IIWMI'd take the OEM foam & place it gingerly into the closest receptacle for trash. H.D. or Lowes has good strip foam. IIRCI used two different thicknesses, one on top of the other to get the closure correct, and could not follow the OEM foam route as it did not close the top to the coil area. Also, my wife noted the dramatic increase in efficiency (didn't know I'd done anything w/the AC) when I fixed the foam, and remarked, "Hey, what did you do to the AC? Its working great." Its an obvious difference when the outside air has to pull thru the hot coils to exhaust the heat from the coach, rather than blowing thru all the open slots left by bad foam placement and doing a half adze job.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #24

The Dometic replacement covers come with replacement foam strips. They are better than anything Lowes has.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote