Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:10 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
While fixing other things I started a few of my own re-works.

The jake brake switch was not in a comfortable location for me, I find this location to be much better. I can shift and operate the jake brake while resting my arm and hand beside me.

I had to add an A/B switch for antenna/cable on the front TV due to changing that TV. I thought I may as well make use of the space above the switches for storage of spare remotes while not in use. We use a Harmony for normal use.

I started with 4 batteries in my first coach, went to 6 and now 8. When I started the Hydro caps were not that expensive and I have only had to buy 6 more at a time twice, so I have stayed with them. I did not like the fill system as it would usually overflow one or two cells when I used it. I have always liked the Hydro caps they keep the area corrosion free and require much less filling. My concern with using the AGM batteries is that if one battery goes bad in a bank of parallel connected batteries it is said that you should replace all the batteries to keep the bank in balance. The Golf cart batteries will be much cheaper in this situation.

I have photos in other posts of storage tubes, insulation over engine and front cabinet venting.

Dale

Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2007, 10:10 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
While fixing other things I started a few of my own re-works.

The jake brake switch was not in a comfortable location for me, I find this location to be much better. I can shift and operate the jake brake while resting my arm and hand beside me.

I had to add an A/B switch for antenna/cable on the front TV due to changing that TV. I thought I may as well make use of the space above the switches for storage of spare remotes while not in use. We use a Harmony for normal use.

I started with 4 batteries in my first coach, went to 6 and now 8. When I started the Hydro caps were not that expensive and I have only had to buy 6 more at a time twice, so I have stayed with them. I did not like the fill system as it would usually overflow one or two cells when I used it. I have always liked the Hydro caps they keep the area corrosion free and require much less filling. My concern with using the AGM batteries is that if one battery goes bad in a bank of parallel connected batteries it is said that you should replace all the batteries to keep the bank in balance. The Golf cart batteries will be much cheaper in this situation.

I have photos in other posts of storage tubes, insulation over engine and front cabinet venting.

Dale

Old 09-21-2007, 05:11 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
You are getting quite a reputation as the "great" Alpine organizer, so I promise not to tell a soul that during your first few minutes in your new coach you became quite frustrated at not being able to get the DirecTV remote to work.... until you realized you had the wrong remote.

Norm
Old 09-21-2007, 05:22 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Norm,

Great to hear from you. I was afraid that you had run off into the woods when you were not able to pick up your new coach. We all hope you can sell that property, get your coach and join us at the rallies.

My claim is that I am good at figuring out how to fix things or make them better, but not that I don't ever get confused. Now you know why I use the Harmony remote. Also like everyone else I fine that the entertainment system can be a pain, even when you know how it works. I am waiting for a MotoSat antenna with 5 LNB's for Directv, which will cure most of my issues with the system.

Dale

Dale
Old 09-22-2007, 06:50 AM   #5

Nice work!

The Jake Brake relocation makes a lot of sense, putting in an intuitive location.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:33 AM   #6

Dale, have you researched whether a 5 LNB is available from MotoSat?

Gary
Old 09-22-2007, 08:03 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Gary,

I talked to the MotoSat rep. at the Redmond rally about this and he said that they would make one sometime. I hope it is soon, dealing with having to switch satellites to get the channel you want is a real annoyance. It is all the worse since I changed to the DVR which has two tuners. My dish only receives satellite 110 on one cable, so you can not get those channels if the receiver is trying to use tuner 2.

Dale
Old 09-22-2007, 08:14 AM   #8

Dale, Could you be a little more definitive with your map lights. Just where did you mount them. If you have pictures I would really appreciate it.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:09 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Ted,

I didn't mention them because they are now installed, both sides, on all of the coaches, I think they started in 2006. The drivers side mounts just ahead of where you see it in the photo on the low small flat area between the side window and the raised part of the dash. The passengers side mounts toward the rear on the top of the "arm rest." It is a Hella light about 23" long from end to end. They can be gotten from the factory accessory store or probably somewhere on the internet.

Dale
Old 09-22-2007, 07:24 PM   #10

Dale, I know that you will find out about the 5 LNB unit before I will. Let me know when it is available. I really like the one I have now. I have never lost a signal in poor weather and it finds the satellite first time, every time. It is very enjoyable viewing HD programming without hitting any A/B switches or searching for other satellites.

As I write, I am recuperating from knee surgery that I had yesterday. I am really hoping to recover sufficiently to make the trip to the balloon festival. Gary
Old 09-24-2007, 10:44 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Dale, I am Alpine-less and know virtually nothing about the technical details of the Kingdome, but your DirecTV problem sounds like a missing (or non-operational) multi-switch connected between the antenna and the DVR receiver. Whether there is one built in to the Kingdome I have no idea-- but if you don't have one-- you need one. The switch is the "traffic cop" for the LNB signals; each tuner in the DVR "tells" the switch which bird it needs- and the switch selects the correct cable from the antenna. The switch is quite capable of sending the signal from one antenna cable to both DVR tuners at the same time.

It has nothing to do with 2, 3, or 5 LNB antennas. I have been using 5 LNB antennas at two locations for a couple of months now. One has the multi-switch built in and the other uses a wall-mounted switch -- hooked to 3 HD DVRs in the house. The additional two LNBs (from the 3 required for HD) were added to receive signals from the new 99 and 103 degree Ka satellites (both of which are in orbit but not yet operational).

Norm
Old 09-24-2007, 12:27 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Norm,

Thank you for the information but I think the multi-switch you are talking about is mainly used for multiple receivers on a single dish. As you noted you have the 5 LNB antennas in use. Check link below.

http://www.solidsignal.com/tech_faqs_02.asp

KingDome informs me that the receiver informs the antenna which satellite it requires a signal from. My problem is with the number of LNBs. The Kingdome can "look" at only one satellite at a time, so that when you change channels if the antenna is pointed at the wrong satellite then the antenna has to reposition. There is the second problem in that satellite 110 requires a different LNB to work. This is why a special HDTV converter is required to get 110 with the Kingdome and it is only on the cable to one receiver. Also if you look at your antenna with the 5 LNB you will see that the LNBs are different for the Ka satellites.

My Kingdome will automatically switch between 101 and 119, but when I want 110 I have to hit a button and 110 will only come in on one cable. This also requires me to leave it powered up all of the time. If it losses power then you have to go thru the whole search setup again. Those that use the MotoSat with 3 LNB do not have to do any switching, the antenna is always locked on to all 3 satellites.

By the way, I can see why you noticed my confusion with my new remotes, you must be the "remote king" with all that equipment at your house.

Dale
Old 09-24-2007, 08:23 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Dale: Continuing our efforts to sort this out...It is true that multi-switches were originally simply used to attach multiple receivers to one antenna. But with the advent of DVRs and dual LNBs the terminology fell behind. The DVR became the equivalent of two receivers and the dual LNB antenna became the equivalent of two antennae. The SS link you sent discusses the "old" multi-switches. Adding a 3rd LNB for a third HD bird required a differention beyond even/odd (left/right polarization) transponders.

The latest DirecTV 5 LNB HD dish has four cable outputs (I have no idea how 5 was divided into four). Those four cables must be connected to a new type of multi-switch-- which in turn feeds two output cables to each DVR in the home whether one or twenty. My "older" 5 LNB dish has a built in multi-switch but is only capable of output to two DVRs.

From your description it appears the Kingdome only has two LNBs (or perhaps only one ???) and has to use a kludge to grab the signal from 110. If they are unable to squeeze a third LNB in that plastic bubble-- how on earth are they-- or MotoSat for that matter-- going to squeeze in five-- especially given there is a 20 degree span from Ka Sat 99 to Ku Sat 119? Ahh- the technology rolls on and Dixie just wants her HD.

Norm
Old 09-25-2007, 07:41 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Norm,

You are right about the link I gave you and I am not totally up on all of this technology. The 2 issues that confuse this is the number of satellites a antenna sees at once and the number of receivers a antenna services. I guess the simple way to state the problem is the KingDome will see only one satellite at a time. And you are right I don't see how they will ever fit more LNBs in there. On the other hand MotoSat has a much larger dish and does do three LNBs at this time. They also make the much larger units, for internet on the satellite, so I think they probably can make one like the 5 LNB dishes that Directv in installing at our homes.

Dale