Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2011, 07:04 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by takepride View Post
My LED halos (Angel Eyes) draw mere milliamps. I haven't notice that they make it harder to turn.

Leds are the greatest thing since sliced bread. they draw very little power and last almost forever. They do not load up the alt. and make the alternator harder to turn, thus reducing gas milage. If i was lucky enough to have LED accent lights on my motorhome, I would NEVER disable them.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Studies in Canada support my statements about 30-40% of accidents reduction statistics. And, I have not seen any new car which did not have DTRL's and we check new cars all the time. The Acura's and Hondas we drove all had them. My Jeep Wrangler does not have then I just turn the headlights on. The crown Vic does not have them, and again I turn them on. I believe the new Jeep Wrangler (2011) does have them, but have not checked.

And yes, again, if you defeat a system which is designed to provide safety, weather regulated or not, and I hit you because I did not see you, and would have if those lights are on, you bet your backside I would sue you. I don't need the hassle of all the trouble of an accident, which in your negligence you caused. So you get to pay the price.

Human nature - we don't normally accept blame when it our fault, we try to push the blame off on someone else. I want you to accept the blame, because I have learned it's easier to accept the blame when I screw up than pushing it off on someone else, so when you don't accept the blame, I going to rub your face in it, so you get the chance to grow up and do so. If this offends anyone, I'm sorry, the truth wins out always.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:49 AM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Ouch! This thread is getting a bit personal.

Here is a photo of the halos that come on when the key is in the on or accessory position. The halos are 100% LED and draw milliamps, thereby making the coach easier to steer.

I believe gatraveler may be able to find full assemblies to fit his Pace Arrow, and if not, can install the halos (only) with the use of a kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110411_153244.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	9453  
Old 04-13-2011, 02:26 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
I agree and I apoligise in advance to all. You do what you want, me I vote for safety and apperance.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:40 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Takepride. I was not trying to argue are to be hardheaded, but when someone says something as a fact when it is 100% wrong, it just drives me nuts. First. a guy calls me a shadetree. I have a FAA pilots license. I have a FAA airframe mech. license. I have a FAA powerplant mech. license. I retired from Delta Air Lines after 32 years. I then became a ser. mgr. for a large moterhome co. for 15 years. This does not sound like a shadetree experience to me. Then i am told that daytime running lights cut accidents by 40%. You have to know that our govt. would never allow manuf. to drop them if they were that great. The truth is and i quote.A 2008 study by the NATIONAL HIGHWAY SAFTY ADMIN. Daytime running lights offer NO statistically signifacant reduction in frequency or severity of the collision studdied.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
GA-Traveler - Canada found different, and that may be because they are so far north, they require them I believe by Law. Not saying its good/bad, just stating a fact. Now why some cars and not others have them is up for debate, and I don’t know the reason for that. Alpine put them on to make me be seen better and that is good for me, and good for the people I drive alongside of, in back of and in front of. Size does not make me easier to see, because of variable lighting conditions, everyone else’s vision acuity and the color of my MH. Lights help.

And since you are old Airplane guy, the FAA requires certain lighting on planes; think that is a good idea too. Coast Guard requires certain lights to be on in ships & boats, even sailboats at anchor, still good idea.

And I never said you were not qualified or called you a shadetree mechanic. Although certified RV tech, I’m more of a shadtree than you are. If you feel I insulted you I make a formal apology here. Formal education is a start, practical experience is necessary to really know how things work and how to fix them. FWIW – Those nuclear guys in Japan are learning a lot, even though they are “experts in the field”.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Renipladlo It was MegaRodie who came up with the shadetree remark. If it sounded like i was blaming you i apologize. I just happen to disike things that cost money and dont work. I wil give you facts and not just opinion. You are right Canada does mandate DRL's. You are also correct in that the further north you go the darker it gets and the better DRL's work. (not my opinion Transport Canada) According to transport canada they claim a 11.3% reduction with DRL's. My big gripe with DRL's is the cost with almost no benefit. According to the dept. of trans. the cost for gas for DRL's is 7.62 MILLION dollars per day. All my stat's can be checked by googleing daytime running lights. Some are on wikipedia and some are on discovery's how stuff works. I just feel 7.62 million could be better spent. I hope you don't think i have tried to be a know it all. This is just one of my pet peeves with big gov't.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:34 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
GA Traveler I am going to PM you, we can chat on this in e-mail as it's taking up forum space.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:35 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Guys:

I'm not sure how DRL's do or do not effect safety figures. All I know is my halos look COOL!

Old 04-14-2011, 05:32 AM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by takepride View Post
Guys:

I'm not sure how DRL's do or do not effect safety figures. All I know is my halos look COOL!

I thought my "Halo" looked cool also

Then I Mythplaced it!
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote