Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:06 AM   #1

ABS check out

Well, Tammy and I have went 800 miles and no problems with ABS light. Then after I went over a lot of bad roads the light came on. When I stopped in a rest area and turned the motor off and let the dogs out, started up motor and light was out. Stayed the night and took off the next day and rough roads again, light came back on. I checked each senor and reset to, they just do touch the rotor. The light never came on again in 600 miles. Something has to be bad to put a code in, the only thing that will let the light come on and off is the setting of the sensor. The sensor has a .04 allowance. If you have a voltage or any other problems it will give a code. The sensor adjustment is the only thing that does not give a code. One of the problems I found was somewhere down the line someone used grease to keep them from rusting or sticking in place. That is a no. They have a spray dry grease just for that. Two times I had to swipe off the grease when she got warm. The grease ran over the eye. In the book it said to use a dry black grease. That grease that was used was black but was not dry. Just putting and up date on the ABS system.

Larry Pate
2003 Alpine 38FDDS 350 ISC

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2015, 09:10 AM   #2

Larry--was hoping you would find the issue with your ABS light. I have had this same issue with my 2003 for years. Light may stay off for days then come on after I stop for fuel--I usually let the engine idle while refueling. I have never noticed any dis/mal-function with the ABS over the years--but this is probably hard to tell since there are relatively few occasions when a 33,000 lbs vehicle actually activates the ABS......keep digging....

Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:14 PM   #3

Good luck with the ABS issues Larry.I have had the exact same experience that Old Scout has stated. I and others would like to know the fix but until then I have wrote the ABS issue off as a lost cause.One would think that it would be an easy fix with so many folks having the same experience.
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:30 AM   #4

Thanks everyone, I was lucky to have a computer and program and some great people to talk me though it. My first mistake I made is not getting the history on the program wrote down then totally erasing the ECU history. I would reset the light but I was picking up old issues. When I got under the coach there was two new sensors installed. I took it to a service truck center and they gave me a list of what all was wrong $$$$. The only dealer that would look at it. I barrowed the computer so I could play. I erased everything and found no more codes but the light stayed on. That's when I contacted the factory rep. He gave a lesson on this and I have shared with you. Now here's the problem I think with the 2003 more or less coaches. The setting for the sensor is between 0 and .04 to the rotor. A spark plug has more gap. They changed this on the latter models. When the Peak Chassis was made, they pushed the sensor all the way in till it touched the rotor. They sprayed this black dry grease that's not on sale on the sensor. That way as the rotor gets hot nothing runs down on sensor. If grease or oil is ever used the light will come on and go off. I keep repeating myself so everyone is clear that the only thing that can make the light come on and off is the setting of the sensor or grease or dirt or rust over it. If a senor or wire or pump or relay,voltage ever trips it will lock the light on with a code. Before you take your coach to have it checked, check each wheel sensor. raise the wheel, pull the sensor and clean the end off spray this black dry grease( I will get the name for you, not on sale) make sure you didn't spray on the end, wipe the end off and push back in socket. Turn the wheel slow and keep pushing in. That is a tight fit so be careful not to hurt it tapping are turning it in until you hear it rub the rotor. Just a little rub. That's how they set it at the factory. Then do all four. One other thing If there's a problem in the ecu and the light stays on. There is a set of connectors in the plug that you have to spread apart. I found that in the Library in the ABS part. If you separate them and light goes out your good to go. It is the sensor setting. The factory rep said that is one in a million. If I can help anyone please let me know. I will dig out the name of the not on sale spray black dry grease. Thanks everyone for your help when I had other issues, It really helps when you walk in the dark and see this big Rv where do I start. I hope Santa is good to everyone. Keep your health, You only live once.
Larry Pate
2003 Alpine Coach 38FDDS 350 ISC
Old 12-11-2015, 12:55 PM   #5

Merry Xmas everyone, I found that spray for the ABS sensors that's not on sale. CRC Industrial, Quick Dry Moly Lube. Heat doesn't bother it and you don't have dirt or rust sticking to it.
Larry Pate
2003 Alpine 38FDDS 350 Cummins ISC
Boston Ky
Old 12-11-2015, 01:25 PM   #6

Larry,

Is this what is recommended: 03084 -- Dry Moly Lube, 11 Wt Oz

Brett
2003 Alpine 38FDDS
Old 12-11-2015, 01:38 PM   #7

Trying to remember--are the wheel sensor leads one wire or two? Was thinking the sensors had to maintain ground contact with the wheel/hub assembly to work but perhap not--if not, then not sure I see the need for the special lub???? If I understand correctly, you do not lub the end of the sensor that aligns against the timing ring on the hub???
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:17 AM   #8

Old Scout , there's one cord with two wires in it. The reason for the dry grease is that is a super tight fit and metal against metal. It is not easy to get that senor all the way in to the setting you need. You have to tap them in place. If it rust ,you can't get it out without hurting the sensor. Some shops use a grease and when the rotor gets hot it has dirt sticking to it or it will run down over the sensor causing light to come on and off. Once the light comes on it stays on till you turn the key switch off. But that does not give a code so it won't show on a computer. They use this dry moly cause it won't run and stick. Remember 0 to .04 is not much to play with. Sense I have study this I have been offered several jobs to fix this issue. The Bus garage and a Rv shop down the road. So I'm pretty happy right now. Now If I could fix the rest of it.
Merry Xmas everyone
Larry Pate
Boston Ky
Old 12-24-2015, 07:31 AM   #9

The number on the can is CRC 03043.
Merry Xmas all
Larry Pate
Boston Ky
Old 12-24-2015, 07:49 AM   #10

Thanks, Larry. I got a can of it and did the front wheels yesterday. Very easy job.

Brett
2003 Alpine 28FDDS

Tags
abs