Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:25 PM   #1

Abs, ecu

Hello, I have a ABS light on and have put it on a laptop. It won't let me turn light off or read any codes. In the trouble shooting book I tried everything it said except check wiring at the ECU. Now I'm trying to locate it. Does anyone know on a 2003 38FD where the ECU is located. A friend at the bus garage said that sometime they have gotten into the transmission plug. Has anyone gotten into this? There's no code and it started as light on then off. I tried to turn light off and it said light is off but light is still on. I could use your help on this. I read on one of the threads that I didn't need it but they put alot of money to make this work and I think I need it. Old Scout always pulls a rabbit out of his hat. Maybe Engineer Mike will help? Thank you guys you have always come though.

Larry Pate
2003 38FDDS Alpine Coach 350 Cummins ISC
Boston Ky

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2015, 04:15 PM   #2

Can't help with your problem but the ABS ECU on my 2006 is located in the battery compartment on the left wall next to the transmission ECU.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:52 AM   #3

Sorry to disappoint but ref several of my earlier posts, a periodic ABS light has been a "feature" on my 03 for many years. I've cleaned and re=positioned wheel sensors, flushed/replaced brake fluid, etc, with no effect. May not see the light for days then it comes on for no apparent reason--but often while stopped for refueling. Despite the periodic light, I have never had a brake related issue linked to the light.....If you solve it, let us know....
PS--believe the ABS control module on the 03 is on the firewall, behind the radio/HWH console, under the dash.....
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:00 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
FWIW - I've had similar experiences as OS. My light typically comes on shortly after starting the beast and waiting for it to warm up. The light then goes out shortly after rolling. The light will return while sitting for a few minutes like at a rest area or while registering at an RV park. If I want the ABS light to go back out I have to turn off the engine for a while and then restart & go. For the most part I ignore it as long as the brakes keep stopping me.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Sorry to disappoint but ref several of my earlier posts, a periodic ABS light has been a "feature" on my 03 for many years. I've cleaned and re=positioned wheel sensors, flushed/replaced brake fluid, etc, with no effect. May not see the light for days then it comes on for no apparent reason--but often while stopped for refueling. Despite the periodic light, I have never had a brake related issue linked to the light.....If you solve it, let us know....
PS--believe the ABS control module on the 03 is on the firewall, behind the radio/HWH console, under the dash.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbowers View Post
FWIW - I've had similar experiences as OS. My light typically comes on shortly after starting the beast and waiting for it to warm up. The light then goes out shortly after rolling. The light will return while sitting for a few minutes like at a rest area or while registering at an RV park. If I want the ABS light to go back out I have to turn off the engine for a while and then restart & go. For the most part I ignore it as long as the brakes keep stopping me.
Old Scout and Bob are correct.The ABS light issue has become a wasted effort for me to try to resolve.There should be a reward payed to the person that can fix the ABS light issue short of removing the light bulb.
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:09 PM   #6

Hi guys, I found the box that said ECU on it and the box does not look the same as the box in tech library. Now I have the computer to play with from are bus garage. Today it is showing low voltage to the ABS system. It showed a fault and it said to check fuses and I did and a bad connection. I tried to remove fault and the light stays on. The tech book said that low are no voltage will keep light on. I read the papers from where I had it checked and they show low voltage there. The bus garage man said to check connection in the harness at transmission. Has anyone seen a wiring diagram for this coach? The ecu is different than the picture I have. While I have this toy I'm going to try my best to figure it out and I would be glad to tell you what I find if anything. Now what I need is the diagram for this ECU and figure somehow why my voltage is low are not there. Yes it started out light off then on and now its just staying on. I have done alot of work under and behind the slide out hwh. I checked all sensors and all relays and valves with this and ran a test they all show good.
Thanks everyone
Larry Pate
2003 38FDDS 350 Cummins ISC
Boston Ky
Old 07-15-2015, 04:56 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
wiring info

Go to the alpine coach association website, tech library, electrical diagrams. You should find diagrams appropriate to your (pre-Vansco) coach. You probably will notice that there's not much change year to year.
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:16 AM   #8

I found the wiring diagram and was looking at it. I was a service tech for boilers and chillers and even roof top units and as times changed I was outdated. But theres one thing I've notice and probably don't mean nothing, this ECU case is not grounded. Every control box I ever worked on the case had to be grounded. Today I'm going to open the gen slide and make sure they didn't ground the screws. I have found several grounding problems in the coach already. Not saying thats the problem but it reads low voltage. This laptop reads each valve and tests each thing one at a time. They all show and tested good. So that tells me somehow I have a bad connection because i checked fuses and voltage leaving each one and was good. They did alot of work when i purchased this coach and the brake system was one. When I got it home I took it to a shop and there read out shows low voltage. They said it could be anywhere. So I brought it home. If you have any input I would like that. Thanks for looking into this with me.
Thanks All
Larry Pate
2003 Alpine Coach 38FDDS 350 Cummins ISC
Boston Ky
Old 07-16-2015, 07:54 AM   #9

Based on the intermittent nature of the light and the code suggesting it is low voltage, a loose connection seems like a possibility. Depending on where the ABS system gets its power, either the control module or the mechanical pump unit, amidships in the ceiling of the tank area, could have the problem. If a hunt for the "faulty" connection fails, wonder if hard-wiring a separate, fused power source to one or both units would solve the problem. Again, even if the light does indicate a momemtary failure of the ABS system, the impact on your ability to stop the coach is minimal, except in the worst conditions, eg, snow, ice, oil/wet, etc....keep us posted....
Old 07-16-2015, 11:41 AM   #10

Ok everyone done a lot of checking and calling. First thing the ABS box is on the drivers side all the way up in the corner on the left. It says right there ABS. The other is a ECU for transmission or engine. There's not a code for wheel senors if to close are to for apart light will come on. If rust is there can cause a problem. If the inside wheel is bad doesn't have a code. There's another test i'm working on that tells why light stays on and I have to get to the box to do that test and it takes two people. You split in the 18 pin hardness number 15 and if light goes out then its the sensors on the wheels. If it doesn't the its a wiring issue as in crossed. The ground is internal. Hope that helps you guys cause it is helping me. If a sensor is to close are to far, it won't give a fault. Thats on these models.
Thanks guys will get back to you
Larry Pate
2003 Alpine 38FDDS
Old 07-16-2015, 05:49 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Hi,

Are you aware that there's another current thread on this? Scroll to the bottom of the page for "similar threads."

Also, would you decode this for me: "Now I have the computer to play with from are bus garage." What is "are bus garage?"
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:36 AM   #12

I did not see the other post and I looked for all the info I could find on here. I have the program called Tool Box. It will test just about everything on this system. The ECU box is a Wabco. On the 2003 Alpine its located in the front to the extreme left under the dash. I called Wabco and they went down the line what causes what. There are several reasons the light can come on without a fault. The voltage this has to play with between 9 and 14. So it takes a real bad connection to do this. I have a lot of tests to do so I can find my problem. If there's any movement in a wheel bearing will cause the light to come. Won't have a code. Also most garages in this state will not touch a peak chassis.
Larry Pate
Old 07-17-2015, 07:01 AM   #13

Dont recall how many miles are on your 03 but your last input raised a point for general maintenance. The pre-load on the front bearings should be checked/adjusted every 50k miles or so....Bearing wobble might cause the ABS to fault but more likely, you can ruin the internal seals if let go....
PS--not sure I get the issue of who will/wont work on a Peak chassis--other that the frame rails, the chassis is built with industry std truck parts: Webco, Meritor, Stemco, etc??????
Old 07-18-2015, 08:49 AM   #14

Ok lets start off by they don't want to mess with a peak chassis because they have no books here and they have never heard of it. Time is money to pay a guy to hunt who's name is on that part somebody has to pay his time. You as a customer won't pay for him to look for his parts.That's why everyone gets upset over extended warranty. They won't pay for a man to figure out the problem. I am lucky enough to have excess to the program toolbox at the bus garage. Now i spent a lot of time hunting for a ECU in the middle of the dash that was the wrong one.
Now after getting into this the voltage problem was a ABS relay that has been there since day one and the contacts sometimes didn't make good contact. My Abs light stayed on full time with no codes. I had to run several tests to see where that was coming from. Back to sensors.The sensors can bring the light on and off with out a fault. When they where installed new they are pushed all the way to the tooth wheel. Held in by a clip and lub. Over time if they come out more than than .04 then you have a light on. if going down the road and they keep jumping and the rubber gets old, if rust gets on the tooth wheel, if there's any give in the bearings the light will come on with out a code. If somebody does brakes on yours and wipes the sensor off, light will start to come and off. So if you have a light coming on and off its the setting of the sensors are rust are give in the bearings. End of story. Mine is working and thank you for your help. I fill like a dart board with you guys. Its easy to set back and throw darts but it takes some real time to get into this.

Larry Pate
2003 Alpine Coach 38FDDS 350 Cummins ISC
Boston Ky

Tags
abs