Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:39 PM   #15

On mine (a 2000) it is located under the dash on the driver's side along with a couple of other switches one being the high idle switch. If the OP's coach is of the same vintage it could be that the ABS switch was inadvertently turned on which illuminates the ABS light. This happened to me.

Geoff

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2016, 06:26 AM   #16

Wow, this brings back a lot of thinking. I could be way off here. I have and 03 38ft Alpine and the only switches I found was under the dash on passenger side. Those killed the power to hook up computer. I could be wrong but I thought the 05 and up had the code reader switch. If the setting of the wheel sensor is wrong the light will come on no codes. If the wire is broke there is a code and the light will not go off until you reset it. I have found that in the spring any dust or rust on the rotor will set the light off and when you drive it the rotor will clean itself. If you check the clearance and reset it, the light will not go off until you drive it. I didn't know that on the 2000 you could reset the codes. I could have over looked something but I was under my dash from one end to the other, there was no reset switch to read codes. If there is I would like for someone to tell me where or take a picture of it and help us all out. I'm lucky I have excess to a computer and I was able to read all the history on this Rv. Every time someone worked on the front wheels there was a code. The history was always the front wheels. If I can help in any way let me know, but I would like to know where I can read the codes without going and getting the computer. If you can, take a Pic of the switch. Old Scout and others have been here before. I think I drove them crazy with questions. Have a safe Summer.
Happy fourth of July
Larry Pate
2003 38FD Alpine 350 Cummins ISC
2007 Jeep Unlimited four down

Old 07-02-2016, 06:56 AM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
ABS light on

To see the information on texting the ABS go to the tech library, brakes and chassis section, the 15th item on the list is the "ABS troubleshooting and maintenance manual". Open it, It was released 09-00 so I suspect it applies to most, if not all, coaches we are discussing, but since I have an 05 I can only be sure it applies to that year. Section 2, page 10 describes the troubleshooting and page 11 discusses the blink test and its operation. In 05, WRV placed a toggle switch on the passenger side bulk head, remove the velcro'd panel at the passengers feet and you will see a toggle switch near the engine data connector. Unfortunately my coach and I are not together or I would send you a picture, but look, and at least on 05's, you will see it as described.

The manual will take you through the diagnostic process, it is very thorough. It works, I know, I used it years ago, it told me I had a problem with the front drivers side, which fortunately, or maybe unfortunately, cleared itself and I have not seen any issues since.

Good luck, follow the procedures in the manual and you too, out of necessity, will know more about the ABS system then you did before.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:02 AM   #18

Thank you Dave, I have been here and it shows a button and I have looked everywhere for that. On the passenger side I have two toggle switches. One controls motor plug -in and the other is ABS. When I plug the computer in there that switch has to be turn on to give power. When I contacted the Wabco people that was the power switch. I tried to make it bring the Abs light on and it didn't. Then he told be that the latter models have that ability. So I have stayed with the computer. Maybe I'm still doing something wrong. That's why I like a pic to put apples to apples.
Thanks Dave
Larry Pate
Old 07-02-2016, 08:37 AM   #19

Hi Larry

I too am not at the coach so I can't send a picture. I also was going to do the "blink" test but that was when I saw the ABS switch was in the on position. When I turned it off the light went out so I didn't do the test. I believe I had 2 switches for the ABS ...one for power and one for the test. If I get to the coach before you have solved the problem I will take a picture for you.

Geoff
Old 07-02-2016, 09:06 AM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
One thing about WRV that does not change, they tended to do things differently, not only from model year to year, but mid year. It is my belief that they would come up with a change and before they implemented it, they would use up any stock they had. During the time from when the change was designed, while they were using stock, a coach may or may not have it implemented. That is why it is so important when opening a discussion to tell this forum what year and floor plan you have.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:43 PM   #21

ABS light

thanks for the replies - the mechanic said the ABS light would go out after driving a few miles. The tires are little taller and the computer will adjust as the speed ratio settles in.

thanks to ya'll.....
Old 07-04-2016, 06:21 AM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmachine View Post
Thank you Dave, I have been here and it shows a button and I have looked everywhere for that. On the passenger side I have two toggle switches. One controls motor plug -in and the other is ABS. When I plug the computer in there that switch has to be turn on to give power. When I contacted the Wabco people that was the power switch. I tried to make it bring the Abs light on and it didn't. Then he told be that the latter models have that ability. So I have stayed with the computer. Maybe I'm still doing something wrong. That's why I like a pic to put apples to apples.
Thanks Dave
Larry Pate

Larry, the ABS manual is dated 09-00, I interpret that to be Sept 2000 so I would think (that always gets me in trouble) that your ABS light should operate according to the write up. WRV used toggle switches in 2005 so I believe one of the two you have should be for the ABS. If you have no codes active or stored, turn the toggle switch on and watch the dash ABS light, it should blink 1-1, indicating all is OK. When you turn on the ignition you will also the ABS light will come on then go out indicating no problems. If there have been any adjustments you might need to drive 4 mph or faster for the system to clear.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:33 AM   #23

Dr. Dave, you are right. I asked to use the computer program again and went to playing. That switch for the ABS is not a power switch as I thought before. The computer program reads any problems you have as in air gap. That doesn't show as a fault. It will also show faults and history if not erased. What I can see that the switch will only show faults when you have one. So if the light is on because of air gap the light switch code won't work because there's not a fault. So my thinking is if your ABS light comes on and the code switch doesn't work it's a air gap problem. My thinking you need to raise each wheel off the ground and pull clean the sensor and then push it in, turn the wheel until you hear it rub the rotor. Do not use grease or oil on the sensor. They have dry spray grease for that. That rotor gets hot and the grease will run down on the sensor. Then the light will be on again. In the spring of the year as some do not head south for the winter the rotor will rust and causes a problem with the air gap. The sensor cannot be more than .04 from the rotor any rust will bring light on. Sometimes after you drive your Coach it will clear it self. After you make any adjustments to the sensor you have to drive your Coach to reset the ECU. I need more coffee to keep going. If I can answer any more questions please ask.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:36 AM   #24

Sorry forgot to sign.
Thanks
Larry Tammy Pate
2003 38FD Alpine 350 ISC
Old 08-12-2016, 08:13 AM   #25

I had new tires put on the Coach and as he took the tires off, I pulled the sensor off cleaned it and put it back in until it touched the rotor. We are in DC and ABS lights are staying off. Yes some where dirty.
Larry and Tammy
2003 38FDDS Alpine 350 Cummins ISC
2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Old 08-12-2016, 08:18 AM   #26

Larry,

Hope that cures it.

If not, off to the school bus barn for the "secret agent tool". Yes, Larry has access to an ABS "secret agent tool". Public service has its rewards.

Since you cleared our codes (none active) on our way north and I cleaned and installed the wheel sensors per your suggestions, the light has only come on twice for a short time.

As always, no pattern to when it activates. For a full day of driving in rain across U.S. 20 in the hills of upstate NY, it never came on.

Brett
2003 Alpine 38FDDS
Old 08-12-2016, 09:07 AM   #27

Enjoyed the meeting with you and Diane. I do believe road grime and out of adjustment will keep that light off and on. Clean it set it and you should be good to go. That's a public service advice. Hope to meet you again on your travels.
Larry
2003 38FDDS Alpine 350 Cummins ISC
2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Old 08-12-2016, 12:36 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1471026902.578918.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	135750 I had the same issue then saw this in a thread a while back. Give it a try.

Tags
abs, light