Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:00 PM   #1
Alpine Owners Club
Accelerator Didn't Work

We are currently in Gila Bend AZ, heading to Tucson on Monday. I have the "C" engine, 325 horse and the Allison 3060 MH transmission. Yesterday, while coming here from Yuma, I had the accelerator stop working. In particular, I'd just disengaged the cruise control in order to adjust speed. Stepped on the fuel feed and nothing happened. Pulled onto the shoulder, stopped. Engine was idling, put the transmission in gear again, stepped on the accelerator and still no go. Turned off the ignition for a few seconds then restarted. This time when I hit he accelerator, the engine responded.
Drove here and while DW was registering us, put the coach in N and turned off engine. When I restarted and put the coach in gear, before the gear indicator showed "6" it showed something that looks something like this *.
So ... last evening I reviewed the problem solving solutions provided by King Controls for the cruise control and find that there are three possibilities that could account for the issue if it is an intermittent problem with the King Controls accelerator/cruise control unit, The foot feed, the control box, or wiring in between. This morning, I fired up the engine and checked for codes on for the Allison. The only code that showed up was for low sump fluid temp. I assume that this was related to starting the coach up, so really does not tell me anything.
Questions, Does anyone know what the * prior to the selector showing 6 means? BTW the * was not there this morning when I tried to replicate it. Have others had problems with the King Control unit similar to what I've described? Is there some other factor that could have happened that would explain either one or both of these things?
Thank-you for any help/insight you may be able to offer.

'99 Alpine Coach
Jeff and Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2015, 06:28 PM   #2

Anything other than N, D or R on the Allison shift pad usually indicates an issue with either voltage to the Allison ECM or a communication issue between the ECM and the shift pad.

"Snake eyes" is a common "Houston, we have a problem" on the shift pad.

Start by checking chassis battery connections.

wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:36 PM   #3

Jeff, I had both problems you mentioned on my '98. One turned out to be a wiring problem with the Allison and the other was a burned out track on the board in the King Control unit. I would start with the Cruise Control King manual and check the voltages listed in the diagnostics. Mine were out of spec. and I returned it for repair. Looking at my email to them this is what I sent
"My Allison transmission has an error code saying the TPS sensor has failed high. I measured the voltage between pin 1 and 4 and get 1.45v at idle and 5.88v at full throttle. Is there a way to bring this voltage down to the 1v and 4v specified in your diagnostic chart?"
The response I got was that I needed to return the unit for repair. You can email them at mail@cruisecontrolking.com.
John and Mary Knight
2015 Ventana 4311, 2015 Cadillac SRX
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:52 PM   #4
Alpine Owners Club
Thank-you. This is valuable info. just what I was looking for.
Also, I'll check the chassis battery. Never hurts to clean and tighten the connections.
'99 Alpine Coach
Old 02-08-2015, 11:00 AM   #5
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Trailers typically come with a shore cord,, GENERATOR may be an option.

Motor homes typically come with a Generator,, However it may still be an option,, but most have em, and darn good ones too.

Inverters are optional on both Motor Homes AND trailers. Very few have them as standard.

Generators come in 3 sizes: Too small, Just right, Larger than needed.

The right size generator will run everything in the RV, outlets, TV's Microwave, Water heater, Fridge, Air Conditioners and more

One that is too small, will not run the Air Conditioner and may even have issues with the microwave or water heater. That said some of the portable inverter generators like the Honda EU-2000i and the EU-2000i companion can be paired using a parallel cable kit To make a bigger unit.

(Some Class A's will come with 8-10K watt generators,,,, That's too big, in many cases, too big just burns more fuel)

Inverters: Some rigs come with a small 300-600 watt) run TV and other entainerment stuff

Some have 1.5-4KW inverters that can power microwave, and several outlets as well,

Inverters come in 2x2xsize

True sine wave v/s Modified sine/square wave.

The list of "Will not work with" is short: Anything needing more power than the inverter makes.

MSW, that also applies, but there is a list of "May Not Work" and it is a long list, Includes radios, TV, audio gear Anything with a digital timer or control system, Electric blankets, LED night lights and more.

The second 2

In line
Stand alone
Stand alone takes 12 volts and makes 120 volts, thats all folks

In-line contains both directions (120 to 12DC and 12 to 120)AC and an auto transfer switch.. Think UPS on steroids.

If you have a trailer, an inverter can be easily added after market

And a portable generator makes sense if you boondock, Make sure you get security for the genny and make sure the exhaust points AWAY from People (And RVs).
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:10 PM   #6
Alpine Owners Club
Thought it time to report on what we found out regarding this issue. Took the coach to Redlands Truck and RV Performance in Redlands, CA. They contacted King Control and got some additional diagnostic info. After running the suggested tests, they were unable to replicate the issue and I've not had a repeat of the issue.
I plan to take the Coach to an Allison service center in the next few weeks for transynd change and have them check for any stored codes.
WA8... your post belongs in a different thread.

'99 Alpine Coach