Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
All - Alpine Coaches are more complex than the average motorhome. What winny might do, or Monaco, alpine did different. With no spare parts available, and many shops not wanting the liability of fabricating parts, to date no one wants to take the job on. There is some desention between the adjuster and what my insurance is telling me. The adjuster is going to call them again tomorrow and get them on the same page.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
good thing your not hurt,
I sure hope you get repaired, it would be a waste to total a nice rig like that

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #17

you can check with the alpine tech library The molds for the front and rear caps were bought by someone in oregon i believe and they will make one to order. Also door were made by magic metals. Radiator and Charge air and fan motor are available. With a little research i think you can source all parts from OEM even though WRV is no longer. Good luck and hope to see you on the road soon

Sandy and Debi
2001 alpine 34 fdds
Old 04-04-2012, 12:16 AM   #18

Sorry I missed you before you left Yuma. Glad to hear the accident was minor relative to you lives being at risk.

Any landing you can walk away from is a good one!

I don't envy the frustrations you are facing. God's speed to an outcome you can live with. We'll be thinking about you.

The Family Man
Old 04-04-2012, 12:36 AM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Our replacement coverage has an agreed-in-advance limit, the purchase price. Progressive offers replacement coverage, as do several other companies. It certainly isn't rare. Insurance law includes upping the value for newly/newer installed items and repairs that lengthen the lifespan or increase the value of the vehicle. They will require the paperwork to prove it.

I totally agree with you about the AGM's. I had a bank of "maintenance-free" batteries before. What a POS!

Good luck Monte, glad you're okay.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:43 AM   #20

Really glad you are ok. That is one nice Motorhome. Something I do when adjusters say they are going to total something is say... Ok. Total it, but then I buy it back. I doubt this would be totaled like many others before me, but you might be able to buy it back for pennies on the dollar. Then pay out of pocket to have the repairs done by a reputable shop and put it back into service. It might be different with RV's but anything can be fixed and fixed right.
nwcanopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:03 AM   #21

Move slow, listen to the offer and tell them you'll get back to them.
If repaired, insist on diminished value compensation.
Again, move slow. Once you accept the settlement your out.
Go to the hospital and get checked out. Good to have on record.
JMO
Best wishes,
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #22
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule Skinner View Post
...If repaired, insist on diminished value compensation.
Diminished value is not recognized in all states as compensable, or if it is, there's probably specific circumstances or thresholds that must be met before it is. It opens a can of worms that need not be. The key is to find a qualified repair shop and keep an eye on the repairs. If it's repaired back to pre-accident condition, where's the diminished value? Many times the repaired vehicle will gain value as parts with a limited service life are replaced with new.

Many states do require that a vehicle be totalled if the repair costs exceed a specified percentage. Again, insurance is regulated at the state level so this may differ state to state. Alternatively, they may require that the title be 'branded' if the repairs exceed a particular percentage. Your adjuster should be an expert on what the laws are in the accident jurisdiction. Sadly, with more companies centralizing their claims operations (you may be working with an adjuster sitting in a big office several states away) that is not always the case.

If the repairs can be affected with no effect on your title status, no diminishment of service life or asthetic quality, you're only out the stress, time and hassle and should count your blessings.

I remain interested in your final outcome, as I'm sure others are.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Replacement coverage has a big "gotcha" with most companies. It's only for the first six years after new, at the seventh year it becomes purchase price when new. We have that coverage with GMAC, the policy still reads replacement but they added a rider cutting it to original purchase price.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #24

Likely true, but original purchase price still beats the heck out of actual cash value.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The diminished value comes when you try to sell the vehicle. A repaired unit gets noted in CarFax and the dealer will offer you less on the vehicle because it has been wrecked, no matter how good the repairs. I don't know how this would carry over to an RV.

Ken
Old 04-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
All - Update and will be offline for a while. Loading out our personal effects into a U-Haul trailer, what a PITA. Some stuff we might drop off in a storage facility down here, the rest is going home. Home is 1400 miles, not looking forward to hauling the trailer behind the Jeep, nor having to sleep in strange beds and eating out all the time. INS will pay 750 toward those expenses, which will cost over 1K I think.

FWIW - Lighten your load now, before you are faced with a situation like mine and far away from help of any kind. This has been very upsetting to both of us, and is making the better half sick physically. We will however forge ahead because there is nothing left. I have ton's of concerns about how/where/when/time frame on the repair (if that is where we end up) of this unit. THe phoenix area gets to 112 degrees F for 4-5 months of the year, if the MH sits closed up and outside, it won't be worth a plug nickle once we get it back. In talking to one ex-WRV manager, even if the facory was available, it would take them possibly as long as 6 months to fix it, how will a non OEM place do it? I don't think we have the diminished capacity issue here in AZ.

We have the jeep at a dealer having a complete inspection prior to heading home just to make sure we don't have anything wrong with it. Crap, I have a nail in the spare which needs to be fixed before we leave here. Life sometims can just spill you out of the boat.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #27

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
The diminished value comes when you try to sell the vehicle. A repaired unit gets noted in CarFax and the dealer will offer you less on the vehicle because it has been wrecked, no matter how good the repairs. I don't know how this would carry over to an RV.

Ken
Very few dealers report RV's to CarFax. In fact it's known to not be accurate for cars. There is no law or requirement that anything be reported to CarFax, it's voluntary.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #28
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rv'er View Post
All - Update and will be offline for a while. Loading out our personal effects into a U-Haul trailer, what a PITA. Some stuff we might drop off in a storage facility down here, the rest is going home. Home is 1400 miles, not looking forward to hauling the trailer behind the Jeep, nor having to sleep in strange beds and eating out all the time. INS will pay 750 toward those expenses, which will cost over 1K I think.

FWIW - Lighten your load now, before you are faced with a situation like mine and far away from help of any kind. This has been very upsetting to both of us, and is making the better half sick physically. We will however forge ahead because there is nothing left. I have ton's of concerns about how/where/when/time frame on the repair (if that is where we end up) of this unit. THe phoenix area gets to 112 degrees F for 4-5 months of the year, if the MH sits closed up and outside, it won't be worth a plug nickle once we get it back. In talking to one ex-WRV manager, even if the facory was available, it would take them possibly as long as 6 months to fix it, how will a non OEM place do it? I don't think we have the diminished capacity issue here in AZ.

We have the jeep at a dealer having a complete inspection prior to heading home just to make sure we don't have anything wrong with it. Crap, I have a nail in the spare which needs to be fixed before we leave here. Life sometims can just spill you out of the boat.
This may be too late but some pans of water set in the sinks (so it won't hurt anything if spilled) will help the interior from drying out. My late FIL did this in their Park Model which they had @ Apatche Junction.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote