Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2011, 08:48 PM   #1

Accl position error

Has anyone had a Accl position error? I assume that means accelerator position. It has come up on my silver leaf twice and then goes away. The second time I had no responce to accelerator pedal for a few seconds. Any clues?
Alpine Road Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2011, 11:34 PM   #2

I had the same problem one year ago on my Apex. At that time, I ignored the hesitation the first time. the red light came on the second time, I took it to Cummins and it was the accelerator pedal. The pedal WRV installed on mine said prototype on the side of it. I contacted the pedal application manager for Kongsburg, There wasn't one pedal anywhere in the US and it would take 6-8 weeks to get one made. Even if I found a pedal I wouldn't feel comfortable driving around if went out again and was stuck on the road. This happened at home. I called Williams Controls Tualatin OR who manufactures throttle pedals and they speced out a pedal for me. It is a truck pedal which bolts to the floor. It was in stock in Portland at Brake Systems Inc and I got it to Cummins the same day. I have been driving it for 11 months and works fine. If it were mine and that is the problem, I would switch it over. I will have to look up the part number. Hopefully you are home and if were me I would't drive it until you found out the problem. I do have a post on the forum earlier with pictures.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:40 AM   #3

The only problem is I am in Seward, AK
Old 08-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #4

I don't know how much trouble you are having right now. You are a long ways from home. The only other thing it could be could be bad wire from the ECU. There are 6 wires. To me, it sounds like it is doing the same thing mine did. It is not hard to replace and the old one comes out in less than 5 minutes. I could try find a pedal in Portland tomorrow if you want. The pedal and the wiring kit would be a little over $300. I could tell you how to put it in ok. It is not hard. If you want you can PM me.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:26 PM   #5

Thanks for the offer Kraig. It has only done it a couple times. I think I will continue on with our trip and hope for the best until I can get to a shop. We are traveling with 3 other rigs so we are not alone.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:23 PM   #6

Hopefully you don't need it now. I will give you the dealer and part numbers where I got my parts. Brake Systems Inc. in Portland. 503 236 2116. Williams Controls Throttle Pedal Model # WM526 Part #351571. $264. You also need connector kit Part#131773. Enjoy your trip.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #7

The following can be checked easily by somebody who knows how to read Pulse Width Modulated signal:
On the Teleflex pedal there is a Packard Electric Metri-Pac 150 Series 6-wire connector w/keeper, with pins labelled A-F. The wires are colored for easier tracing if needed.
A = APS Signal #1 out to ECU
B = Ground for Signal 1
C = APS Supply voltage for reference, 5VDC (presumably Signal 1)
D = APS Supply voltage for reference, 5VDC (presumably Signal 2)
E = APS Signal #2 out to ECU
F = Ground for Signal 2

What that means is there are two "Signal" circuits w/in the pedal's box above the actual foot pad. Each receives 5VDC on the two indicated wires, grounds to A or F for Signal 1 or 2 respectively, and sends out a Duty Cycle reading of 5VDC on pins B & E for Signal 1 or 2 respectively. They use two signals for the same thing as a redundant check. Usually a pedal position error indicated a difference in the two readings as would be required for them to be in sync. Imagine for example if the APS sent a signal for Wide Open Throttle erroneously w/out any check; that would be bad, hence the built in check.

Older dumber APS designs were simple rheostats, varying 0-5V on one signal and 5-0V on the other, so the sum had to be 5V.
On the Teleflex unit:
Signal 1 should vary from 11% at Idle to 42% at WOT.
Signal 2 should vary from 22% at Idle to 84% at WOT.
You can have a knowledgeable tech probe for these values to see if the pedal assembly is currently working. A transient might be no 5V reference signal (0V or some other voltage not 5V) on one or both of the middle pins, could be a loose connector, could be a loosely made wire-pin connection on one of the signal sides, could be a loose ground, , could be a poorly made connection on its way to the ECU, etc. So fixing it might not be a matter of swapping out the pedal sensor assembly, those other types of errors should be checked first, but before that I'd recommend the above Idle-to-WOT reading checks.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:27 PM   #8

Thanks E-Mike. So far so good it has been working OK. Hope to make it back to lower 48 before having it checked. Thanks for information.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:44 PM   #9

Update

Just thought I would let you all know that I spoke with Cummins and they told me to turn key to on position and pump pedal 4-5 time from 0 -100% then back off and then start engine. We did this and so far we have not had any problems. It resets a senor. We may have the sensor changed just for peace of mind.
I waited to post this update to see if it actually works and it did. We drove from Seward, AK to Chehalis, WA. and had no problems.
Thanks to all.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:44 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Alpine Road Warrior, I'm in Anchorage if there is anything I can do let me know. There are a couple good shops here if it gets to where you need to have it serviced.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:29 PM   #11

Glad to hear you made it back with no more problems. Mine did the exact same thing yours did at first with hesitation. I don't know about the reset. When Cummins tested all the wires up to the pedal, they said everything was fine. They said the problem was the pedal. After I replacing the pedal one year ago, everything works fine and no more error codes.