Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2009, 07:28 AM   #1

Adding small window to 34 footer

I have a 2001 and they did not come with the small window by the closet slide. I think they started installing them in 2003. Curious if anyone has added one to an older coach (model numbers?)? Did they change the framing in the later coaches or is it the same to be able to upgrade?

I am assuming that this would help get some air flow in the back during the Summer? Comments?
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #2

We are one of several owners who have added a window between the slide and the rear of the coach on the drivers side. We have an 01 36MDDS and it really does help the air flow. WRV installed it. We have a 12.5 inch wide window by about 27.5 inch high. THis was a standard Alpine window. We wanted a wider one like used in some of the latter kitchen windows, but Max said at the time that a wider window could not be installed due to the framing of the coach. You might want to check out the exact window WRV used by talking to Mark Harrah. The window's rear frame is 4 inches from the rear wall of the coach.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:45 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Rich & Cork,
I don't know if your 2001, 34' is the same spacing between the closet slide and the rear cap as a 2001, 36 (37') or not. I had a 2001, FDDS 36, and I have DS,PS & roof wall drawings which shows the framing. These were all sent to me by Mark Harrah. (Sure wish I had them for my 2004, 40).
Sounds like you have a great start from 'Jetar' looks like you need the height from 'Jetar' and you will know where WRV put his window. You could also contact Mark H. and ask if he thinks WRV added aluminum framing inside the wall. You wouldn't be able to weld, but you might glue inside the walls so the window frame will have something to tighten against.

If your interested in a copy of the above mentioned drawings, PM me with request, address etc.

Dan R.......
Old 06-29-2009, 06:14 PM   #4

OK, Dan sent me the Alpine drawings. I studied them. Rick Fischer also gave me some measurements from his coach in addition to the above. A friend in my Jeep club gave me a window. I bought a 6 inch hole saw ($45!) and some butyl tape. I verified with a stud finder that there is nothing in the way. Now all I gotta do is get the guts to make the cuts
Old 06-29-2009, 07:01 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Rich, good luck with this project and keep us posted.

We originally were considering an '03 38 ft Alpine but it did not have a window over the kitchen sink. I told the wife that we could add one but she was not convinced!
Voiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:25 PM   #6

Got it in! Actually was no problem to do. Just took a lot of planning to make the first holes. What I did was to figure out where I wanted it. From there I maked the outline of the inside frame for the opening to make. I marked the spot for the pilot drill for the six inch hole saw. I then drilled the pilot hole on the inside. I then used a 12 inch long 1/4 inch drill bit inserted into the pilot hole of the six inch hole saw. This would insure that the drill went in at a 90 degree angle. I then used a sabre saw with a bit that I cut a little shorter than 2 inches so it would not go to the outside surface. I cut the inside. Since the inside and the outside are bonded to the insulation it does not yet come out. I went outside and cut the four corners with the hole saw. I then marked the edges of the hole and cut away the remainder and pulled it out. The hole is now done. I test fit the window and the frame. They fit! I used butyl tape around the outside hole, partly under the window frame and partly into the new opening. Put the window together and tightened up the screws. Used a plastic putty knife to clean up the excess butyl. DONE.

I have never posted pictures, so maybe I will try later. Time for a cocktail.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Rick, great job!! Congratulations.

You will enjoy the nice air-flow that comes with the additional window.
Voiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:45 PM   #8

Small window.

I also have a 2001 but 36 foot front door. We haqd Western install a small window behind the bedroom slide. Great for cross draft and sleeping.

The unit is also for sale.

Ken
thealpiners is offline   Reply With Quote