Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2015, 08:59 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Adding washer/dryer

Been looking at a used 2004 FDTS, The DW really would like a washer dryer (stacked or all in one)

I know the rig is prepped for W/D. but how hard is it to install? Looks like either of the passenger side windows are large enough to accommodate the unit(s)

Has anyone had this addition done or had to replace a defective unit? How does the unit get into the rig?

I wouldn't want to go through the windshield

TIA

2005 Forrest River Charleston 400TS DP
D and J is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2015, 02:32 PM   #2

Electric and water are "plumbed".....guess you would need to cut a vent opening....If not thru the main door, getting a side window out isnt that much less "fun" than a wind shield...good luck
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:53 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
We added a Spledide all in one (7100 XC). It fits through the front door on our 2005 38' FDTS, but you should measure YOUR door and compare it to the specs.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:01 AM   #4

We had the Splendide added at purchase and just replaced it after 10 years. It went in through the front door. I suggest you get the vented model which requires a vent hole be cut through the side.
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:23 AM   #5

Midea ventless W/D combo

In January, the dryer portion of our combo in a 2002 38-ft FDDS stopped working, so we took the most inexpensive replacement we could find (a Midea). Because we didn't care about the old unit, sliding it out and letting it drop out the door wasn't that big of a deal. The new unit arrived in the back of a pickup, and we placed two 2x4s to skid the unit over the steps of the RV and onto the walkway between the front seats. (The 2x4s bowed some, but did not break, thankfully.) The seats were actually our pinch point. Not that any of it was very easy! The W/D is HEAVY and sliding was tough when there wasn't enough room to "walk" it from corner to corner.

I agree with the earlier post--measure the space carefully and confirm the unit's measurement.

In June, the control panel of the Midea went out. It was covered under warranty, and the unit is still working well since being repaired.

My DH laments not getting a vented unit, but I have made friends with the W/D combo and am glad we didn't cut a hole in the wall of the coach.
slflynn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:29 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
The ventless model has worked well for us, we partially dry the clothes then hang them in the coach. They come out great.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:09 PM   #7

Ours fit in both our rigs doors. We did have to disconnect the top brace on the door so that it opened flat out of the way. We turned the passenger seat so the back was against the wall. Use boards as skids up the stairs. The hardest part in the MH was getting the washer drain hose in.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:56 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Thanks very much for all the input.

I found some troubling water damage we didn't see when we first checked out the rig. I have dealt with more than my share of water leaks, but the wood between the shower and kitchen had way too much damage for me to invest into this rig.

Beware anyone looking at a used 2004 FDTS in the Everett WA area for 89K

2005 Forrest River Charleston 400TS DP
D and J is offline   Reply With Quote