Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:13 AM   #1

Question Additional questions.....

1. I tried the 3M refinishing kit on my headlights. The passenger light looks great but the drivers side looks like there is condensation on the inside of the lens.
I did search but most of the pages show upgrades to Halos, which I do not want. I would like to replace what is on there without doing modifications. What is the headlight cover that I need? Is this it? TIA

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Euro-Clear-Corner-Replacement-Headlight-Lenses-Frames-for-97-00-BMW-E39-5-Series/251993398691?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkpa rms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3 D20140602152332%26meid%3Dc9a7ccbf530d43ee8e6d3a6b3 bf526f2%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D 121108223144

2. Did a TV antennae come standard on these coaches? Ours has a satellite dish that extends by a crank on the inside, but I see no other crank besides that. I am wondering if the TV antennae was removed when the satellite dish was installed? I know there is an antennae above the drivers side window (CB?) and another lying flat next to the air horns on a spring base (radio?). In the service bay (water, Power, waste pipes) there is a cable plug next to the phone jack, but I also see a "Winegard" box in the basement on the other side. I assume this is for an outside TV?

3. We purchased a Garmin RV 760 LMT with wireless backup camera as the one in the coach does not work. Has anyone installed one of these and if so, was it difficult?

4. Both the DVD and CD Changer (Kenwood) do not seem to be working. CD inserts disks and can not read. DVD drawer closes and says "No Disk". I assume the Optical reader is shot on both. I bought a replacement DVD player from Walmart and will try that. I am guessing I will need to get replacement CD changer off ebay? I also noticed that we do not have one of those video switching boxes. Is it really needed? We have the instruction manual, but it looks like everything either runs through the DVD or VHS.

5. Have any of you installed a ladder on the back? It seems most of the Coaches I have seen do not have one. Was this not included for structural reasons?

That is all I have (for now). Thank you all for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Griff Cell 522.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	305.8 KB
ID:	108982  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2015, 10:31 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
1. I did the replacement headlights with projector lights and halo lights. I have been unable to get them aimed high enough and the projector lights are so deep the rear of them hits the bulkhead and breaks the adjusters when you pull the slide in. I think replacing the lenses would have been a better way to go.

2. Mine has a TV antenna just ahead of the mid-entry door that cranks up, the satellite is in the middle in front of the front AC.

3. I replaced my original BU system with an LED monitor and 2 wireless camera's - mainly so I could see the hitch and trailer area better. ( I have the original parts for sale by the way) You will need power for the remote camera. I used the original camera wires to provide that to my 2 remote cameras. You will have to cut the ends off the cable and choose your wires. The camera has about a 4' pigtail and then plugs into the cord. I you pull that apart from the engine compartment then you will have to fish it back up to the hole under the spoiler. Not real difficult but a 2 person job for sure.

4. Mine has the distribution box. Surely you can wire it like you would at home?

5. Wish I had one when my AC cover blew loose on our last trip. Fortunately our youngest son was with us and I could boost him to the roof to tie it down. I bought a folding ladder to carry for future needs. My understanding is they did not install a ladder for liability reasons. That back cap has no support behind it. Open the engine access and stick you head in to look up - wide open space. I'd be careful about mounting to it due to no real structure in there - my thoughts anyway.

Jeeper64060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:35 PM   #3

1. I have tried to clean mine a couple of times and they get better for a short time. I need to just replace. The ones you linked are pretty well priced.

2. Ours came with the satellite dish and the tv antenna as one unit, with one wind up mechanism. I removed the satellite dish and put a motorized one on it shortly after purchase. Some years later I replaced the batwing antenna with another that is supposed to be higher gain, but don't remember the name.

5. I carry one like this to be able to get on the roof away from home, altho not that brand. Stores easily.

Telescoping Ladders, Step Ladders, Extension Ladders | Xtend+Climb Telescoping Ladders | Telescoping Ladders
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:10 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
2) All TV's today come with multiple inputs, upgrade your TV as well as the rest of the audio system (it is well over 10 years old) and do not worry about running the inputs through the other devices. You also get a large reduction in weight hung under the cabinets, the old crt TV's really weight a bunch compared to the led/lcd models of today.

5) By model year 2005 WRV was putting in the blocking for the ladder (we have it on ours manufactured in Sept 2004). Look carefully up in the engine compartment into that space between the closet and the rear cap you might see 2 bumps in the fiberglass, they simply placed a wooden block there and glassed it into the rear cap. Someone with a 2002 can tell you if they have one.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:02 AM   #5

Question

Is my logic here correct?

When we were out last weekend, I saw several rigs with a remote satellite or antenna hooked up on the ground and the coax cable running into their "Cable Input" jack on the side of their rig. Since my satellite dish is 13 years old, is having issues raising and lowering, and is unknown if it will work with Directv (our S&B provider) can I replace the satellite with a new digital antenna? This would be a cheaper alternative than getting a new satellite system for now, and it is really just to pass the time in the event it is raining outside. Or, shall I leave the old dish there till we decide to upgrade and get an external antenna and run the coax into the Cable In jack in the service bay?

I did replace the DVD player and it worked fine using the direct inputs on the front of the set. (I have to figure out the internal wiring to have the cables hidden)

also, Where do you put your Trash Can? LOL Do you have one out or a small one under the sink?

Does anyone know where to order the "Jack Springs"? We had the Jacks Down alarm come on again 30 minutes after starting home. I followed the instructions, let the system shut itself off, and waited till the green "Travel" button was lit. System shut itself off, then @ 25 minutes later, "Jacks Down" alarm came on doing 50 mph. Pulled over, turned system on, pressed "Store", alarm went off, and off we went. Only thing I can figure out is the springs are tired?

None of the buttons on the smart wheel light up. The buttons work, but they do not light when the headlights are on. Do you just pry up the button to get to the bulb or are they not supposed to be lit?

Thank you for the replies.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:26 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamacre View Post
Is my logic here correct?

When we were out last weekend, I saw several rigs with a remote satellite or antenna hooked up on the ground and the coax cable running into their "Cable Input" jack on the side of their rig. Since my satellite dish is 13 years old, is having issues raising and lowering, and is unknown if it will work with Directv (our S&B provider) can I replace the satellite with a new digital antenna? This would be a cheaper alternative than getting a new satellite system for now, and it is really just to pass the time in the event it is raining outside. Or, shall I leave the old dish there till we decide to upgrade and get an external antenna and run the coax into the Cable In jack in the service bay?

I did replace the DVD player and it worked fine using the direct inputs on the front of the set. (I have to figure out the internal wiring to have the cables hidden)

also, Where do you put your Trash Can? LOL Do you have one out or a small one under the sink?

Does anyone know where to order the "Jack Springs"? We had the Jacks Down alarm come on again 30 minutes after starting home. I followed the instructions, let the system shut itself off, and waited till the green "Travel" button was lit. System shut itself off, then @ 25 minutes later, "Jacks Down" alarm came on doing 50 mph. Pulled over, turned system on, pressed "Store", alarm went off, and off we went. Only thing I can figure out is the springs are tired?

None of the buttons on the smart wheel light up. The buttons work, but they do not light when the headlights are on. Do you just pry up the button to get to the bulb or are they not supposed to be lit?

Thank you for the replies.

There may be a remote satellite jack on your rig, I have it on our 2005 in the passenger bay, not sure about 2002, You plug a remote sat dish in there the connector has a cap on it. One other thing to note satellite reception degrades the more intense a rain storm is, in fact in heavy thunder and lightning you will most likely loose reception. With a fixed dish you must park in a position that gives you clear view to the southern sky (no trees or buildings), with a portable dish you can place the dish in a location that has a clear view. I have trees that block our line of sight when we are parked at the s&b so we can not use the sat at home if we wanted to.

We place a laundry basket under the sink with a trash bag in it, that makes placing trash and taking it out to empty easy.

You jacks down alarm may be from low fluid, check yours. There have been many posts about jacks being slow to retract, read them, there are tips on lubrication and replacing or adding additional springs.

The smart wheel is smart, but not illuminated.

Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
Old 10-12-2015, 01:35 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Here is a picture of the connector.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1444674934.739945.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	109455

Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
Old 10-12-2015, 08:45 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
I have a 2002 and I have a ladder and the blocks. It works out just fine.
jdarling10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
Here is a picture of the connector.Attachment 109455

Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
I have that connector in the passenger side basement.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:45 PM   #10

5) I was going to install a ladder, however I realized that the engine bay door would get in the way. Then I looked into the folding ladders and decided it's not worth the money. So, now I carry an aluminum ladder in a storage bay.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:58 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Additional questions.....

I got the 7' folding ladder to install my snap on sun shades when I bought our coach in 2006 before I realized that occasionally I was going to need to get up on the roof and 7' would not do it. Knowing what I do now I would have gone straight to the 16' folding ladder I now carry in the basement. The 7' is stored in space I would not use any other way so they both will stay, it is much easier to use the folding 7' to put up the sun shades, and I rarely need to get on the roof when I am on the road, but I have the 16' when I do. One of these days I will get around to installing a ladder on the back of the rig and get that space back in the basement.

Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
Old 10-19-2015, 09:45 AM   #12

Question

Thank you all for the replies-

Now......

At campground we were staying had cable. I hooked it up and nothing. Then realized switch box had been removed. Hooked it up to a $49 digital converter and picture came in, but snowy. When I ran over air digital, came in crystal clear. (2002 televisions) My friend thinks there is an issue with the coax cable between where the cable hooks to the side of the coach and where it comes out at the top left cabinet. (Top left plate has 2 connectors. 1 says TO TV and AUX SAT. It also has a power button which I believe is the Amp for over Air broadcasts)

Questions-
1. How do I determine where the bad connection is, short of rerunning a new coax cable?
2. Do I need to replace the switchbox that DVD/VHS/SAT/ANT hooked into(Maxdyne or something like that) ?
Probably will never use VHS. Still watch DVD.
3. Paperwork that came with coach shows that original Dish on roof was hooked to Dish Network. I was thinking of replacing old dish with Digital Antenna so all I would have to do is crank up antenna to watch free TV. Then get a portable satellite that works with DirecTv and take a receiver from our home and connect to it.

Opinions are wanted!
Old 10-19-2015, 10:57 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
With regard to the jacks not coming up all the way or the alarm going off while traveling:
I had the same issue when when I first bought our (gently-used) Coach. A couple things were learned; 1) When raising the jacks, don't turn the IGN key from ACC to Start if the HWH panel red light is still blinking… even if the green 'Travel Mode' light is on. I often wait until the Coach is running before I hit the Store button, that way the system is sure to complete its cycle of storing the jacks and shuts off on its own. 2) We full-time, so every few months or so (and more often if it rains and the jacks get splattered with dirt/dust) I get under with a can of WD-40 and clean shop towels. I spray the jacks liberally and then wipe down. Then I spray a little bit more WD-40 on and wipe again to ensure only a light film of WD-40 remains on the silver part of the jack. If you do this, they'll come up all the way each time and you won't be reaching under the Coach with an old walking stick trying to leverage the partially raised jacks up like I was
2005 Alpine 38FDTS, #75373
www.UrbanEscapeVehicle.com
Hobdendw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:08 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
The snowy picture could be from several problems. Just because the Campground had a cable connection does not mean it was good. Cable connections require a good signal and TIGHT connections. The center wire carries the signal as it relates to the common conductor, in other words the outer wrapper of the coaxial cable. Be sure all your cable connections are tight, not just in your coach but on the campground side. That means at the post, which you can control and all the other connections from their distribution panel, which you can not control. I was at a campground where my next door neighbor had a great picture, but mine was all snowy, the problem was in the cable coming to my site not my coach.

I carry an open end wrench in my utility compartment so I can tighten the coax cable at the post connection when I hook up. You can open the cable plate in the utility compartment and make sure the connection on the back side of the plate is tight, use a wrench, in fact remove it and reattach it, that way if there was any corrosion you will take care of it. The cable should (at least it did when WRV manufactured the coach, no telling what has happened since) run from the utility bay direct to the A/V cabinet. If you suspect that is bad run a cable from the campground post to the TV connection (or the digital to analog converter), it does not have to be pretty, this is just to prove where the problem is. If the signal is good, the problem is your coach, if not it is external, your D/A converter, or your TV input. Provided you used the same TV input for the antenna and the cable it is the converter.

There is lots more to try, but that depends upon results and is too tough to try to detail all the permutations here. If you reply with results of the above I can attempt to guide you further.

Dave, Bobbi and Fenway