Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2017, 10:45 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Adjusting the control Panel

I have a friend that said there is a way to "adjust the black water/gray water control panel" to zero it out once everything is empty, but said he has forgotten how to do it. Does anyone know the procedure? Thanks in advance. Dave & Anne Nelson
Davenlsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2017, 11:06 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
What system do you have?
If the Aladdin (model 4XX-05 or similar), there is a "System Setup" screen which takes you to a "Set Tank Capacities" and "Tank Calibration" screen.

According to the manual you have to input a maintenance code to have access to the calibration (to prevent accidental changes). The code is "0000". However I have not done a calibration myself - so I'm just copying this from the manual.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:49 AM   #3

As far as I know on my 2001 Apline you can't adjust it to empty. You can adjust it when it's full or near full. On the control panel underneath the indicator for the tank there is a button you can pull off. Then with a small screwdriver you can adjust the light so the proper light is indicated, like full.

I fill mine to about 80% full and adjust the light to full - that gives me some time to get it emptied. After the tank is empty I fill the tank to 80% using a water flow meter that indicates how much water I've put in-then make the adjustment. I think I got the meter for about $25.

I use the same procedure for all three tanks.

Good luck!
Old 12-22-2017, 02:19 PM   #4

Thanks for the post GMDavidson. I just love it when I learn something new. I can hardly wait till spring to reset mine,for now old man winter is laying down our white Christmas. And a Merry Christmas to All.
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:48 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Your friend probably has a Silverleaf system. and if you do not have that system, you most likely cannot calibrate your tanks. Please advise if you have a Silverleaf and I can walk you through the re -calibrate. Very easy to do I just re-calibrated my tanks today.
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:25 PM   #6

....the 2003 tank monitors can be adjusted manually as described--up thru full level anyway. A special allen-key came with the coach documents but believe a std. allen-wrench [smallish] will work......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:37 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
You guys are just awesome! I filled the Black Water up twice and left it sit for 3 hrs each time to be sure it was clean then emptied it . I pulled the small black round cover plug and set the Black Water using a small 00 Phillips screwdriver. I moved it less than a 1/8 turn CCW and it zeroed it out.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:18 PM   #8

Hmmmm - when you set it to zero was the tank was full or empty. You should only adjust it when it's full or near full.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:43 PM   #9

How inaccurate are these tank level sensors? Or, worded another way, how frequently do they become inaccurate?

It seems if I'm dry camping with 100 gallons of fresh water it would be nearly impossible to overfill either the 100 gallon grey or 78 gallon black tank before running out of water. Likewise, while at a campground with hook ups, it's easy enough to pull the handles and empty the tanks when they show 3/4 full.

Also, having only used the conventional methods of filling the black and grey tanks, is there another way to put water in the tanks?

I only have the indicator lights in 1/4 tank increments which I find to be a suitable level of accuracy for the situation. Should I be more concerned about this?
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:52 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
I set the lights on empty because both Black and Gray showed 1/4 when empty. I zeroed them because i want to know that i'm truly empty. I know when i filled the Black water I continued to fill even after the black water Full light came on. Probably another 6-8 gallons more. When i cleaned it, I put water all the way to the elbow in the toilet.
I WANED IT FULL TO CLEAN IT. I wanted to SEE water! I empty them around 3/4 anyway so i just wanted to start at Zero not 1/4 full. If i find it is totally inaccurate, I'll adjust it the other way. If i look in the toilet and don't see water is it not full? When is full really FULL? Just saying.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:35 PM   #11

Word of caution--WRV didn't do the best of jobs sealing the soil pipe from the toilet to the black tank on all models. So be careful when filling the black tank completely full--at least not on purpose......[smile]
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davenlsn View Post
I set the lights on empty because both Black and Gray showed 1/4 when empty. I zeroed them because i want to know that i'm truly empty. I know when i filled the Black water I continued to fill even after the black water Full light came on. Probably another 6-8 gallons more. When i cleaned it, I put water all the way to the elbow in the toilet.
I WANED IT FULL TO CLEAN IT. I wanted to SEE water! I empty them around 3/4 anyway so i just wanted to start at Zero not 1/4 full. If i find it is totally inaccurate, I'll adjust it the other way. If i look in the toilet and don't see water is it not full? When is full really FULL? Just saying.
Interesting technique. I've always used the built in black tank flush system to "clean" the tank while monitoring the progress with a sewer hose fitted with a clear elbow.

I would imagine filling the tank through the toilet to the point where water is visible would create a situation where the tanks is actually overfilled. Water would be in the tanks vent pipe as well. Setting the "full" light under those circumstances could prove problematic at some point in the future, particular if the accuracy of the panel is in question.

I'd say the tanks are full once the 3/4 light is on steady or maybe a flicker or two from the full light. Just like the fuel tank should be considered empty at 1/4. Particularly on my coach where the second half of the tank doesn't last nearly as long as the first half.

I know the detail police and fact checkers will be on those last statements like a duck on a June bug.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel