Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:34 PM   #1

We have a 07 mid door and the light in the Advantium oven has gone out. The manual shows two screws holding the vent grill on from the top. These screws go into the top of the slide. Is there anyway to remove the grill so as to replace the light?

Ron Cook

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2008, 06:34 PM   #2

We have a 07 mid door and the light in the Advantium oven has gone out. The manual shows two screws holding the vent grill on from the top. These screws go into the top of the slide. Is there anyway to remove the grill so as to replace the light?

Ron Cook

Old 09-05-2008, 10:30 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Ron,
My husband just recently replaced the inside light bulb in our Advantium oven. The instruction book says that you should not attempt the repair yourself. The RV dealer we bought our coach from refused to fix it mumbling it wasn't his job. We tried to get an appliance technician to no avail. They suggested we remove the entire microwave and then weren't sure how to get into the bulb to repair it.

So he tackled repairing it in place himself being careful to unplug the microwave first. By the time I found the following website, he had figured out the hard way how to disassemble it. It did reinforce that he was on the right track and would have been more helpful earlier. The website is http://www.instructables.com/id/GE-Advantium-Microwave-...ightbulb-Replacement He had to use a small inspection mirror and special tool to get to the bulb. There were two screws that were very difficult to remove and reinsert. Also, it is important to not touch the new halogen bulb with your hands so that was an additional challenge. He found it easier to remove the filter in the back, an inner grill, and that allows removal of a panel that lets you get down to the housing that holds the bulb. It took us about four hours to complete the project. A lot of that time was spent figuring out how to get to the bulb.

As for me, I found out years ago that when he attempts any plumbing chores, I go shopping. I can now add this to my list of chores justifying shopping as this definitely tested his patience and expressive language vocabulary. Seriously, we found it helpful to have a second person to retrieve and hold tools and offer moral support. If you would like to talk to him, send us an email and we will send our phone number. Good luck!
Marca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:00 PM   #4

When I tried the above link, I came back with an error message, probably because of the ...ightbulb-replacement part o the url. I am trying to repost it for those that are interested.try this
hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:42 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks, Hugh & Cyndi for correcting the link. Somehow, an extra "nt" was attached to the end of it. By the time I realized it, you had already corrected it.
Thanks again,
Marca
Marca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:05 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck & Marca:
Ron,
My husband just recently replaced the inside light bulb in our Advantium oven. The instruction book says that you should not attempt the repair yourself. The RV dealer we bought our coach from refused to fix it mumbling it wasn't his job. We tried to get an appliance technician to no avail. They suggested we remove the entire microwave and then weren't sure how to get into the bulb to repair it.

So he tackled repairing it in place himself being careful to unplug the microwave first. By the time I found the following website, he had figured out the hard way how to disassemble it. It did reinforce that he was on the right track and would have been more helpful earlier. The website is http://www.instructables.com/id/GE-Advantium-Microwave-...ightbulb-Replacement He had to use a small inspection mirror and special tool to get to the bulb. There were two screws that were very difficult to remove and reinsert. Also, it is important to not touch the new halogen bulb with your hands so that was an additional challenge. He found it easier to remove the filter in the back, an inner grill, and that allows removal of a panel that lets you get down to the housing that holds the bulb. It took us about four hours to complete the project. A lot of that time was spent figuring out how to get to the bulb.

As for me, I found out years ago that when he attempts any plumbing chores, I go shopping. I can now add this to my list of chores justifying shopping as this definitely tested his patience and expressive language vocabulary. Seriously, we found it helpful to have a second person to retrieve and hold tools and offer moral support. If you would like to talk to him, send us an email and we will send our phone number. Good luck! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for help and the website. My dilima is that the screws into the top of the grill are covered by the top of the slide and I find no way to drop the unit to get at them. If you have any sugestions on that I would appreciate it. At the moment I see no other way to remove the grill than sawing the two screws with a hacksaw blade. Then the next problem will be how to hold the grill back in place.

Ron Cook
rcook0395@charter.net
541-574-1926
Old 09-17-2008, 05:53 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Ron,

I found, on mine and Gail & John's coach, that the screws were put in upside down. We have 2007's like yours. The screws were installed into the grill from the bottom, with the portion of the screw sticking out, just caught in the holes in the case, where they originally came down from the top. To get the grill out, I used a putty knife to protect the material above, and pried down the grill until it came out. The oven was screwed into the "roof" above it through holes drilled into the top cover. On mine I just reinstalled it as is, which I will change next time I have it out. On Gail and John's, the plastic tabs were broken, so I used Velcro. If this is not clear, PM me and I will give you my phone #.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:16 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
If it helps to have a cross-brand suggestion... on our Newmar, the grill for the Advantium is held in place by a fairly strong spring that is attached to the back of that upper chamber and then hooks around 2 of the vertical, metal slats in the grating that backs the plastic grill.

The bottom of the grill has tabs that fit into slots, and the upper part isn't held in by screws, like on your Alpine(s)... just the force of the spring.

Came from the factory this way and has held up on all types of roads for over 3 years. Makes it reasonably easy to access this area (we've had to change the bulb for the interior light, too).

It's an option, anyway.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:38 PM   #9

John- Thanks for the tip. That sounds like a much better way to secure the grill for service of this convenience light, the internal heat lamp, and the internal fuse that some have had blow. I may peruse my spare spring supply and make that mod.

On our 08 coach there is a 5" wood panel above the micro with 4 wood bungs concealing screws. This short plenum space contains a duct to the outside (06 coach used the recirculating option for the exhaust fan and didn't have the 5" panel; new one blows exhaust out a grille on side of coach). I wouldn't want to have to pull the bungs more than once to access the screws holding the grille, and the spring would make micro more serviceable.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:09 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Glad to be of some help. They say that no motorhome is 100% perfect... and, by extrapolation... no motorhome manufacturer, either. But, with help from each other, we may all be able to cobble together the best ideas from ALL the manufacturers to end up with something close!

I know that's why I belong to all of these forums, and browse dealer lots and RV shows... always on the lookout for how some other coach/brand has done something new (or something old, but in a better way).
Old 09-20-2008, 01:33 PM   #11

Dale,

Wala,upside down screws same as yours. So all is repaired. How did you ever discover that anyway? I did purchase a spring and re-attached the grill as John suggested and it seems to do the job. I thank you and John for the help. My wife is as they say a much happier camper.

Ron Cook
06 Alpine Limited SE mid-door triple slide.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:28 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Ron,

Glad I was of some help. I was helping John and Gail, their grill kept falling out. The tabs where the metal clips for the screws to screw into, were broken off on their's. I couldn't see how it was suppose to work, so I took mine out to see.

Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote