Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:53 PM   #1

Aeroturbine muffler installation

After reading Dave Fernandez's excellent post on installing the Aeroturbine muffler I decided to go with the straight thru stainless steel Aeroturbine muffler. Muffler for 2002 36 MDDS thank you Dave
While we were getting the turbocharger rebuilt and the alternator upgraded to a Delco Remy 28 SL we had Johnny Blodgett at JB Equipment in Homeland, Ca. do the exhaust upgrade.
The pull up the grade on highway 79 enroute to I-10 was very revealing. No difference in exhaust noise with the windows closed. Some increase in noise with window open and above 1700 rpm. Very little extra noise while idling around RV parks.
Jon Brazel's post about an increase in hp and torque seems to be very credible from what I experienced today. After Market Cummins ISC330 Muffler
Laptop crashed so no Silverleaf numbers.
Beagle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01945.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	6948   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01951.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	6949  

Name:	DSC01953.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	6950  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2010, 08:28 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Has anyone used this exhaust system with a Jake Brake? Might be pretty noisy.

toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:14 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just orderd the 5050xl and hope to install it next week. From everything I have read it will help keep the exhaust temps down and add torque all of which is good. I am not worried about the noise level because it is all highway driving and entering or leaving rv parks is all done at an idle. The exhaust brake just shuts off the exhaust so I really don't expect much differance in the sound level.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:12 PM   #4

Chuck
I have a 2004 C7 330 HP and considering replacing the muffler. Any particular reason you chose the 5050XL over the non-resonated 5050? Did you find a source better than EBay? IF you do your own install I'd be iinterested if any problems arise. It looks like it would be pretty straight forward.
Thanks
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:37 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bob, I spoke with Jordan at Aero and he told me that the XL was a bit quieter but didn't add any backpressure. For the price any performance gains it would be well worth the price. I really didn't care about the noise but for the sake of anyone I'm passing I thought I would give them a break. It does look like a streightforward installation with the only thing extra for me was one more 5 inch muffler clamp and an extension to take up the extra space for the shorter muffler. I will be doing the install myself, it looks easy. The EBay price seems to be as good as any I have found.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Again, anyone had any experience using this system with a Jake Brake?
Old 12-01-2010, 10:39 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
JERRY, If you have a true Jake Brake, it blows out through the exhaust. By taking off the stock, baffled muffler and putting on a smaller straight through muffler will cause it to be louder. On the other hand if you have an engine retarder that plugs off the exhaust, it would not make much of a differance.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:36 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Which brings up the question for Alpine owners:

On Alpine Coaches manufactured after the PacBrake was discontinued, do we have Jake Brakes as many mention or do we actually have a Cummins exhaust brake as the Cummins mechanics (and an electrical shop), say is built into the ISL engines, and is fully electronic.

I've never traced that one down, yet. (But I have revealed my complete ignorance....)
Old 12-02-2010, 02:03 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
For ours it's an engine brake. When engaged on low, it shuts off the valves (both intake and exhaust) for three cylinders and puts the tranny in 4th gear. For high engine brake, it shuts all the engine valves and puts the tranny in 4th gear. One owner I have talked to said he wanted allison to make it 5th gear in low, so he could engage it at higher RPM, it's my understanding that the governer does not work when the engine is in that mode so it could overrev. I never engage my EB in speeds over 45-48 MPH as this is very close to Redline RPM. The old rule of thumb is never go down a hill faster than you went up the hill. That is the way I do it in our MH.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:39 PM   #10

The 90 degree elbow into the stock muffler was getting thin. Decided to renew everthing clear up to within 10" of the turbo coupling.
All of the tubing is 4", so we decided to use the 4040 Aeroturbine muffler and not use any reducers. To help fill the gap around the hole in the exterior panel Johnny Blodgett sawed off a 3" section of the old 5" SS extension and tacked it on to the 4" clamp holding the muffler support.
I paid $143. for the 4040 Aeroturbine muffler. The elbows, flex pipe and clamps were another $100.
I would agree that an engine brake is going to be noisy with this setup.
No noticeable difference with the PacCar exhaust brake.
Beagle
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01961.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	6999   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01947.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	7000  

Old 12-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
It's unreasonable to me to believe that Cummins would include an engine brake in their engines that, when engaged, would disable the engine speed governor, and thus endanger the engine. I would appreciate more commentary on this. I have engaged the EB at highway speeds with no apparent harm to the engine--am I mistaken?
Old 12-03-2010, 02:27 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I have engaged the engine Jake Brake at every speed imaginable and have never had the engine over rev. Obviously on my 05 ISL the governor is in play at all settings of the engine brake.

By the way, I wouldn't have a pusher without the engine Jake Brake. It makes hilly driving so much more comfortable and safe.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:42 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Isn't 2300 RPM the maximum allowable rating for an ISL? I watch the tacometer closely when heading downhill and use the brakes to get the RPM down (obviously speed as well). However, I've often wondered what will happen if you're on a steep decline if the engine brake can't hold the RPM's at 2300? Is there a point at which the governor forces the EB to release to save the engine?

Sorry for any apparent ignorance!
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbowers View Post
Isn't 2300 RPM the maximum allowable rating for an ISL? I watch the tacometer closely when heading downhill and use the brakes to get the RPM down (obviously speed as well). However, I've often wondered what will happen if you're on a steep decline if the engine brake can't hold the RPM's at 2300? Is there a point at which the governor forces the EB to release to save the engine?

Sorry for any apparent ignorance!
On my MH with a 330 Cat and a 3000 Allison it will upshift to prevent over revving the engine.