Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2014, 10:07 PM   #1

AGS is not working

I have just purchased a 03 Alpine 40' . It is our first Class A. I tested the ASG system by draining batteries to 11volts. The refrigerator and convection oven I was using to drain power shut off. A fault appeared on the inverter panel but no gen start. I followed the manual for setup. Where to from here? I talked with two different RV shops and they knew nothing about this system.

I could sure use some beginners help.
21Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2014, 10:12 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your search.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:18 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I believe it's AGS for Auto Generator Start system or at least that's what they call it now.

Your system is so different than ours that I won't even hazard a guess.

The Alpines are nice rigs,we looked at them years ago, or I should say we tried to. The salesman wouldn't open the door for us to look at one at an RV show in Salem OR years ago. So we bought a Newmar instead.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:23 PM   #4

Oops, thanks for the correction.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:28 AM   #5

Are you sure you have AGS? According to the '03 brochure this was an option on the 38' and 40' models.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:53 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Jim,

You're playing in a system I'd also like to verify that it really works. So far I've not had the "guts" to let the batteries drop and possibly cause a problem. I applaud your effort and very interested to hear of you eventual outcome.

I did call Xantrex about the AGS operation. They claim that the voltage must be at or below 11.5V for 15 - minutes before the generator will be automatically started. My original SCP had idiot lights for voltage levels and I let it sit at 11.5 for more than 15 minutes before manually starting the generator myself. However, you can't count on those idiot lights since they're actually displaying an average level. You have to use a voltmeter on the house batteries to determine the level. And, once the load is removed from the batteries (via the inverter or whatever), the batteries will typically "bounce" up to a higher level possibly negating the 15 - minute interval.

I'm only stating what I've read in the manual & information received from Xantrex. Again, I'll be anxious to hear your outcome. I (probably like you) would like to know that ALL systems work on the coach. The AGS is the most difficult to prove its reliability. Good luck!!!
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:40 AM   #7

I'm not sure of anything except I do have a AGS panel inside the coach. A friend of mine has a 01 Monaco with same panel and it works great. Does anyone know of a setup procedure. The coach has 34k miles on it and generator has 130 hrs. I am wondering if the system ever started the generator since it has not run a lot and must have been on shore power or traveling most of the time.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:26 AM   #8

Does your termostate have AGS to start AC, if so, you may want to try starting the generator that way. The AGS switch is the same as low voltage. I'm not sure an 03 had the option for AC.
Nick Escamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:06 AM   #9

Thanks Nick. I did notice an AGS on/off on the thermostat. I will try leaving that on and draw voltage down again.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:13 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Usually the AGS Remote panel needs to be set up first so that the inverter is programmed such as set clock time, battery type, when to come on, when to go off, etc.

There are a number of parameters that need to be set before the AGS will work automatically.

How to set it up depends on your specific inverter and remote panel.

Post that information and you will get far better information.

I have a programming sheet for the Xantrex/Trace RC7-GS remote panel but you may not have the model.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:05 PM   #11

You won't have to draw the voltage down to get the thermostat to operate AGS. From the thermostat, turn your AGS on, lower the AC temperature so AC comes on without being plugged into shore power. Generator should start and AC will come on after the generator waiting period. If generator starts it will show you the AGS is working. The inverted low voltage may still need to be tweaked for it to work.
Nick Escamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:39 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
I have been able to get the AGS to start the generator via the thermostat (which is good) but does that guarantee that it will start automatically for low voltage?

FWIW, you can set the hour on the old AGS panel but NOT the minute. This fact can be an issue if for instance you're setting "Quiet Time" for 10 PM whereas the AGS may be currently on the "55th" minute of the hour thus resulting in a Quiet Time of 10:55 PM not 10:00 PM. According to Xantrex you can adjust the minute (to some extent) by temporarily disconnecting the large connector on the AGS Controller (typically located in the adjacent cabinet) and reconnecting it as close to minute "0" on the hour as possible (or a few seconds later). It should stay that way unless the batteries are completely disconnected. The same holds true for setting the current hour. Again, this information came from Xantrex Technical Support and I've done it without causing a problem.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:42 PM   #13

AGS controller is Xantrex but do not find model. Inverter is 458 series. Air conditioner won't come on since it is below 40 outside.(eastern Oregon)
Old 01-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Jim,

If you do get into warmer weather and get the generator to start via the AGS and then directly turn off the generator, you will probably get a "Gen Fault" light on the panel. You can reset the AGS by disconnecting that connector on the AGS Controller, wait atleast 30 - seconds, and reconnect it. This is the recommended procedure I obtained from Xantrex Technical Support and it worked for me.

You should change the thermostat & the AGS settings to shutdown the generator "gracefully". The manual claims that changing the On/Off to Off will shutdown the generator. However, there can be a delay by the system to make sure the requested action is required.

Also, on a previous post I said the low voltage activation requires a voltage level of 11.5V or less for 15 - minutes which should have been 15 - seconds.