Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:46 AM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Dennis,

I don't believe you stated if you have a residential fridge or not and how many house batteries. Makes a difference!

We have a residential fridge with 6 - house batteries (wet cells). We've boondocked using the original Freedom 458 Combi inverter/charger. We run the generator to full charge and stop it at 10 PM. The batteries would last 8 - 10 hours or so with the monitor reading 11.5 VDC (Yuk!) by 6 AM. The AGS did not start the generator. I typically start the generator manually shortly after 6 AM (I'm awake pretty early normally).

If you have a "camping" fridge or 4 - house batteries then you're going to be much more limited. And, the solar panels don't account for much of anything. Hope this helps.

bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2014, 09:47 AM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
We have the SW2012 also. We parked at Valley River Center for the night (dry camping) and went to dinner with friends. When we returned, the generator was running. It ran until 10pm which was programmed as quiet time. I also recently learned that if you flip your thermostat to cool while sitting in a parking lot, the generator will start automatically and continue to run until you turn the AC off. The generator cooled down then turned itself off. Maybe give that a try and see what happens.

2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:54 AM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
yes i have res frig and 8 house batteries. if i unplug the coach from shore power and dont manually start the generator the frig will not come on. dont know if im not setting something correct so the house batteries will run the frig?
dennismhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:44 AM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Dennis, I would verify that your inverter is turned on and inverting battery power into alternating current first.
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Old 09-30-2014, 10:59 AM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
okay, i reset the xantrex and unplugged the shore power and it shows the inverter is on and the frig and tv are working in the batteries
Old 09-30-2014, 11:15 AM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
While unplugged, flip your thermostat to air conditioning and call for cooling. See if the generator will start.
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Old 09-30-2014, 11:30 AM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
yes the generator started and the ac kicked on. i turned the ac off and the frig off and tv and shouldnt the generator kicked back off?
Old 09-30-2014, 12:27 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
You could have left the fridge on. When the ac was turned off, it removed the need for the generator to run. The gen will run for a minute or two to cool down then it should shut itself off. Looks like everything is working now as it should.
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Old 09-30-2014, 12:33 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
the gen would never turn off, i had to turn it off manually. what does dcv on the xantrex monitor do? and what should it be set on ?
Old 09-30-2014, 12:54 PM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
Dennis,

Please identify your Inverter/Charger model and Remote Control panel.

Typically, the term "dcv" would reference DC Volts which indicates the current voltage of the house batteries.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:07 PM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
the system is a xantrex rs 2000 xantrex sytem monitor

Click image for larger version

Name:	gen start.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	75397

attached a pic. its shows start dcv and was wondering what it should be set on?
Old 09-30-2014, 02:30 PM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
Dennis,

I can't find documentation for that specific Remote Control panel but I would make an educated guess that the "DCV" setting establishes the battery voltage level at which it will start the generator. It appears that it's displaying 12.0 but hard to read in the pix. This setting is arbitrary (default?) based upon your desire to have the generator automatically start. Someone in a previous post mentioned not allowing the batteries to drop below 12.0 and that would be my recommendation for a setting. Someone with an RS2000 might need to chime in here because I don't.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:36 PM   #27

Alpine Owners Club
All - 12.2VDC is the absolute lowest setting I would use for AGS period. Quiet time will allow the batteries to run below that setting, and the last time I think I got to 11.8 before the genset came to life. The generator gets it starting voltage/current from the chassis batteries, and they don't run down as low as the house batteries, so the discussion on that is null and void, at least for an alpine, and that is subject to how they wired it up the day it was started in the chassis shop. Some may use the house batteries, don't think so but possible. The manual for the xantrex inverter/charger you have in your coach is on the Alpine Tech Library, you can get it there.

But, and I believe it's close to what I use, you must enable AGS and have both the low and high voltage settings programed in. This then will start the genset for charging the battery's. If you ARM the thermostat feature, this then is in addition to AGS starting the genset. Arming the Thermostat, then allows the A/C's to call for power, through the inverter/charger, which then sends a start signal to the genset so it can provide power to those units so they can operate. Their is a long explanation in the manual, I suggest you take the time to read it and then practice the operation a few times to make sure you got it. At QZ in the Jan/Feb timeframe it's doubtful you will need to arm the thermostat since it normally does not get that warm, but it can happen.

I always setup AGS when traveling because you never know when something might go bad, and the house batteries don't charge when going down the road. I leave it enabled even when Shore power is present in case the park loses power, I am away from the coach, and that ensures I don't lose the food in my fridge while gone.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:57 PM   #28

Alpine Owners Club
i have the ags enabled on the monitor and the shore power disconnected and the inverter is active ac set to 50 degrees and the gen has not kicked on and i know its warm enough. does the ags have to be on the thermostat too?