Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-13-2006, 07:29 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Easy for you to say, Aguanga) !!! The Alpine's are rolling into OutDoor Resort. There are several Alpines that have lots here and must call this home,in addition to the ACA group. There must be a lot more coming tomorrow, as I hear the ACA count is at 70 coaches. There are four coaches from dealers here and one is even an Apex (mid-door).

As aways looking forward to meeting more friendly Apline owners and enjoying the food and good times.

Keep up the good work Gale, e.t. all..

Stop and say hello,I'm in the Alpine. (Couldn't let that one go by, HA, HA) The front plate says "HIBAL"
D & D Rich
Great Salt Lake Route..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2006, 07:29 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Easy for you to say, Aguanga) !!! The Alpine's are rolling into OutDoor Resort. There are several Alpines that have lots here and must call this home,in addition to the ACA group. There must be a lot more coming tomorrow, as I hear the ACA count is at 70 coaches. There are four coaches from dealers here and one is even an Apex (mid-door).

As aways looking forward to meeting more friendly Apline owners and enjoying the food and good times.

Keep up the good work Gale, e.t. all..

Stop and say hello,I'm in the Alpine. (Couldn't let that one go by, HA, HA) The front plate says "HIBAL"
D & D Rich
Great Salt Lake Route..

Old 03-20-2006, 02:03 PM   #3

Just back from Aguanga. Great rally, or should we call it a food-&-wine-a-thon?
From the Gearhead Session:
1) "Economy" Mode (per Allison rep)- a) Saying "economy" and DP motorhome in the same sentence is oximoronic; b) "economy" is really a secondary shift schedule designed to produce modest economy benefit for shift-intensive driving, which motorhoming is almost always not. Since we get on the interstate & go long distances w/torque converter locked & rig in high gear, not much economy to be had. If it feels good, put the red "mode" light on when in town & driving on the flat.
2) HydroHot pickup is at same height as gen pickup in the diesel tank, i.e. won't pick up fuel below 25% of tank volume, so as not to heat coach till it is stranded.
3) 250A DC fuse installation (per Xantrex, even tho this is an Alpine device)- This is a compression-contact device, spade of fuse compressed against the ring terminal of wire. If somebody has assembled the stack w/a SS flat washer between the fuse & wire terminal, SS is not a good conductor & will heat up thereby derating the fuse (lowering its amperage blow point).
4) Battery terminal oxidation (per Xantrex, even tho not his component)- Xantrex guy's preffered installtion is w/battery tops dry & clean, then coat terminals w/petroleum jelly, then install & tighten wiring. Mop up any overflow spill immediately if not sooner.
5) Coolant level vs sight glass (per Cummins even tho this is an Alpine component)- level of sight glass is not the same on all years, but on most if coolant is at or above sight glass when cold, it will push some coolant out when hot, so coolant should reach sight glass when hot (not be visible when cold). Per me- that's not a very useful process as it is cumbersome to get coolant to proper level and know you are not low w/out checking & maybe fiddling while driving; for my time & money, I'd suggest adding an overflow tank & filling the black expansion tank above the sight glass so that U know when cold, before getting on the road, & while doing normal service proceedures that there's adequate coolant. And since my overflow tank is more easily reached, I can add coolant there w/out as much fuss as adding at the expansion tank. YMMV. Alpine may have modified the black expansion tank to include stamped instruction on it, including correct directions vis-a-vis the sight glass; check your tank if in doubt. And as always, if you follow my advice, that's your fault.
6) PacBrake sticking (per Cummins even tho not their component)- PacBrake is a butterfly valve in the exhaust, sometimes called exhaust brake; works like sticking a potato in the exhaust pipe (hafta be a double magnum spud). PacBrakes stick after a while. PacBrake now sells a lube w/instructions for where & how to apply; buy it & use it or have it done @ your next service if you brake is sticking. Per John Knox- Ditto, as his alternative was to replace a crystallized exhaust manifold for ~$1800 when his PB shut. Also per JK- rotate your PB ~15? to move the lower pivot off bottom dead center where condensate will flow and corrode the pivot exacerbating sticking. Also per JK (IIRC)- replace the PB sooner rather than later if sticking is a problem as it is much less than the crystallized manifold. For coaches w/the ISL (and ISC's w/true engine brake, if any) this does not apply, i.e. no giant taters in the tailpipe.
7) Performance problems (per Cummins)- if you know you are making proper boost, you know the engine is making the rated horsepower and any lack of performance is elsewhere. For those w/Silverleaf or equivalent you have a boost gauge readout. My deduction- boost is powered by exhaust, so if engine is making sufficient exhaust to power turbo to make rated boost, then fuel air mix is right, injection angle is right, combustion is right, so horsepower must be right as a result since the rest is conn-rods, bearings and crank shaft turning. Per sumbuddy in the audience- check your toad parking brake.

I didn't write everything down; feel free to post anything I missed.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:02 PM   #4

Thanks for the info EngineerMike! I had hoped to make it to this rally, but alas, my coach is still in Yakima getting the finishing touches on it after some water intrusion problems. Sounds like some good information was passed on by the reps that were there.
WeBrzn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:41 PM   #5

Emike,
In regards to item #2. On my 05 I left ORA in Indio last winter after 2 months and my low fuel warning light was on. The only fuel I used durring that time was for the HH. It was 10 miles to the flying J and I took on 98 gallons of fuel. Tank on mine is 115 gallons. Mine may have been plumbed wrong and is an 05. My Gen stops at about 1/3 tank per the gauge.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:41 AM   #6

Q#2 went to Ron Doyle @ the gearhead session, & he took a time out to call the factory for an answer.
Guess I should have put YMMV for Wayne- 9.8 gallons/mile might be a new record.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:32 PM   #7

OK! What I was trying to say was my HH was still working when I took on 98 gallons of fuel. That is more like 1/7th of a tank.

05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote