Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2010, 06:09 AM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
The antennas may be the biggest problem if they don't have clearance to reverse after getting thru the door, or are to stiff to flex enough. The doom is 12" above the roof and the air conditioners are 11" the antennas are the only other thing higher. I don't think you will have any problem doing what you want. As Mike said, do it fast enough the first time to get all the way in and after that it will be clear.
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #16
M&J

It was breifly mentioned, but don't forget you can not turn much at all or your front tires will catch the wheel mouldings and damage or tear them off.

I raised my shop door so that I did not have to concern myself with dumping the air and making sure it stayed dumped. I went from a roll up style door with the rails below the trusses to a door that rolls up into itself just above the door opening. I had to raise my door header but that really wasn't that bad of a job. My door is in the end of a 30 X 60 building so I was able to raise the header and was only limited by the bottom of the trusses for height. Something to consider if your building layout will allow for it.

Good luck!
Old 11-14-2010, 07:08 PM   #17

DPNewbie,

I have the same issue parking our 2006 36' in my aircraft hangars, which incidentally requires a parallel parking procedure in a 80’ wide opening with a column exactly in the middle of the opening – lots of fun. Susan and I along with a half dozen airport neighbors agonized over this for a couple hours as we measured and re-measured trying to figure how to get an 11’11” Alpine under a slightly less than 12’ opening. Yes, the measured reduction in height is right at 4” with the suspension deflated, so it was supposed to fit…

I made a couple of calls to WRV and was told to hold down on the HWH Dump button and then back the coach in before the suspension inflated. Well, this sort of worked, but I figured there must be a better way. The next WRV suggestion was to open the air dump valve in the right rear bay. Now that sounded like a great idea. The only problem, when you open the dump valve, at least on our Alpine, the parking brake is applied and you aren’t going anywhere. So really, the only way you can do it is to use the HWH Dump button and be very careful.

Whenever we do this docking or undocking maneuver we are always on the cell phones, communication is critical, with the Alpine is positioned just before the rear air conditioner comes up on the opening. I dump the air with the HWH Dump button, back the rear air conditioner through, then back further to the front air conditioner, I again dump any residual air that might have pumped up the bags and continue the backing. I enter the hangars at about a 35 degree angle, turning the wheel to the left as soon as the front air conditioner is clear. Once the air conditioners are clear I’ve got lots of vertical clearance, then it’s a simple matter of straightening the wheels and pulling ahead parallel to the opening. Believe it or not, it really is easier to do than to describe. In less than a minute the whole operation is complete. It’s a little scary the first few times, but have faith, it does get easier.

One more item, I was too was concerned about moving the coach on deflated suspension bags; for what it is worth now, WRV said it was not a problem, but they didn’t recommend driving any distance with the bags deflated.
Birddog Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:27 PM   #18

If I had this issue, I'd install a lighted dash switch (I'm thinking maybe a nice shade of red?) to override the dump valves. They are a simple solenoid N.C. air valve & use 12V to the coil to open the valve.

On Actia gauge Alpines, you'll get a Low Air Susp alarm continuously when in gear so it'd be tough to drive "any distance" w/the bags deflated.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:18 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Success

Just a note to let you know the test was successful. I did have to remove or lay down the CB and AM antennas. I pulled up to the garage, set the parking brake, dumped the air with the HWH dump switch, released the parking brake and backed in. The owner helped by directing me on a walkie-talkie, and we did it in several steps. Everything cleared by about 3 inches. I will go slow the next few times until I'm sure, but I believe once the air is dumped, I will have time to back in completely before the bags re-inflate.

Thanks to you all for your help. This is a great forum and I will be back. Looks like I am going to be an Alpine owner
DPNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote