Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:25 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Air bag?

I'm considering buying a 2006 Alpine 36 FDDS. I've seen several references on this forum regarding moving an Alpine coach into a low overhead garage with the air bags deflated. I need to know the correct procedure for doing this to conduct a test of the coach before making the deal. Can anyone confirm that I can back the coach into my garage, with a slight incline, with the bags deflated. If it is possible, what is the procedure to keep the bags deflated until the coach clears the low door? I also need to reassure the owner that no drivetrain or suspension damage will occur to his coach so he will allow the test. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #2

In the rearmost, passenger side compartment, you can open the valve to release all the air from the air tank. Leave the valve open. Using the HWH control panel, manually dump all the air in the air bags. Now the coach is lowered onto the frame. Don't go over any severe bumps. I think this approach will lower the coach about 4 inches.?????

Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:25 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Would not holding the dump valve button work?
Old 11-13-2010, 09:26 AM   #4

I agree, holding the dump button down will keep the coach lowered (I've experimented with this on my 2001). I also believe your clearances are reduced for turning the front wheels - but that's an assumtion on my part.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:32 AM   #5

If it were me I would open the air valve. I can just picture myself backing in and my finger slipping off the button and or the solenoid failing and up goes my Alpine into the door opening.

On 2nd thought if there is no air pressure I believe the parking Brake would apply
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 03:54 PM   #6

First step is to measure:
~ actual door opening height
~ actual coach height (might have to do this in steps, to the roof, then roof to top of highest gizmo on roof)
~ difference in height of coach w/air in, air dumped.
Now you have a starting point to see if there is a decent chance of success.

If its close but not quite, go fast and it'll work the next time. Don't take too much off the top of the dome, though, or it won't work right.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:59 PM   #7

At first I thought this thread was about mother-in-laws.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Exclamation

Thanks for the responses. I've done the due diligence on the door and have the brochure specs. I've also seen the air bags deflated which appears to drop the coach about 4". Without measuring the actual coach, math tells me I should have 4-5 inches to spare. Guess I'll give it a try and see what happens. By the way, can you further identify the name and location of the valve in the rear compartment. Front wall, rear wall, on a canister, etc .? I may not have to do this anymore.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:56 PM   #9

The air drain valve is on the passenger side,rear compartment. It has a quick disconnect air coupler on it and a yellow handled ball valve. its purpose is to drain water from the air system and give you a connection for an air hose.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:00 PM   #10

Don't pay to much attention to Engineer Mike. He is still suffering from a bad hair day.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:47 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
air bags

Thanks for the additional info. I will give it a try. Hopefully it will work and I will become a frequent member of this forum and an Alpine owner.

By the way Engineer Mike, it did start out about mother-in-laws, but I couldn't get her in the garage no matter what I tried.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:52 PM   #12

Some air bags are easier to deflate than others.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:23 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
I agree with Wayne. Letting the air bleed out may keep the bags deflated but the park brake won't release.
Rick J Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:38 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
I dump the air bags on my coach to get it into my garage. I choose to pull in and back out (seems easier to me). The process is to pull up to the open door, set the parking brake, push the air dump button letting the air out of the bags, release the parking brake, and drive into the garage. There is enough delay in the air bags filling back up to clear everything. I have about 2" of clearance with the air bags deflated.
The first time I stopped every 3' to 4' and pushed the dump button again to keep the bags down while someone on a ladder made sure everything was clear. My 08 coach has to have the parking brake set . My 02 did not, I just pushed the dump button.

JLMunsil is online now   Reply With Quote