Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2018, 07:17 PM   #1

Air Bag on 2000

I put in new rear air bags in my 2000 alpine today. The back's only but they were worn. Not too difficult but glad I had an battery impact wrench (removing rear tires would be easier but not needed). The old bags were heavily cracked from the outside at the lower fold but still lightly cracked on the inside (after cutting into them). They are one layer only with reinforcing layers of nylon thread). Replaced with stock units of Firestone w01-358-9482 . 90k miles and 2000 model. Bought from Michigan Truck Spring at $419.20 and from other dealers as much as $620.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2018, 07:22 PM   #2

Good Deal! Feels good to be able to do your own work, Don't It?

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:24 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I just read you post about rear air bag replacement. I have a 2005 36' and need to replace the front bags for sure and possibly the rear. BUT finding the correct part number is a real chore. Did you know the part number before you removed your's? If so were did you find it?

Thanks
Jim
PM- hartsnet@yahoo.com
360-333-9594
Hartsnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:28 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
The best prices and selection I found is SDTruckSprings.
Replaced both front bags with Firestone Airide Replacement Air Spring - w01-358-9039 (for 2006 40' Apex)
Gary Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:56 PM   #5

HOW TO?

Bought Firestone front bags for our 2000 Alpine 140,000. About change them. When temp cools down.
What procedure do I use to remove the lower bag nut. No room for a wrench or socket. Do I need to remove or loosen the 4 nuts below the axel? Will one end of the shocks need to be removed? Do one at a time?
Any other magic tricks would be appreciated.
Purchased ours from Western Truck same as Jay Bennet.
One of the bags has a round 1/2"wear spot. Also both are cracking.

Gary
Old 08-11-2018, 06:20 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
The front lower bag nut is 1 1/8. I use a box end wrench that I modified by heating-up and removing most of the offset. See pictures.....
Gary Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:57 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Air Bag

Gary:

I have the same problem with removing the bottom nut. I finally took 1 1/16 box end wrench and modified it until it would fit in the opening and onto the nut.

I ground almost all of the steel on the sides of the wrench and then cut the end off making it like an open end wrench, it took a lot of grinding until it would fit into the opening and down over the nut. You have to expand it enough to fit the 1 1/8 nut difficult but it worked in that limited space around the nut.

I tried to attach a photo of the wrench but can’t seem to make it work. If you are interested, send me a PM and I can send it via e-mail

Jim
hartsnet@yahoo.com
Old 08-12-2018, 06:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollo man View Post
Bought Firestone front bags for our 2000 Alpine 140,000. About change them. When temp cools down.
What procedure do I use to remove the lower bag nut. No room for a wrench or socket. Do I need to remove or loosen the 4 nuts below the axel? Will one end of the shocks need to be removed? Do one at a time?

Gary

Part numbers? Front and rear?
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:44 PM   #9

bags

Gary,

Thank you for the Pics.
My super expensive Harbor Freight 1 1/8" would not go on until I ground off the outside diameter. The leaf spring was in the way.

Wrench fits in without bending.

I was surprised at how easy/loose. More than finger tight but not much.

Rich,
I am using the Firestone WO1 358 9039 on the front.

Gary
Old 08-13-2018, 03:56 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Gary

I had a tough time getting the top nuts off the bag. Decided to remove the single bolt that holds the top bracket on the frame, when I did that the whole assy almost fell out in my lap. That made disconnecting the brake line simple.

When you get the driver side bag out, I recommend to look and see if your coach has a bolt head on the bottom of the frame right next to where the bag is located. It would be aft of the bag but close enough to make contact with the bag. That bolt head is what wore a hole my bag. I am going to round off the edge of the bolt to make more clearance and not touch the bag. My coach is a 36' so maybe yours doesn't have the same issue.

Jim
Old 08-13-2018, 07:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Gary,

Thank you for the Pics.
My super expensive Harbor Freight 1 1/8" would not go on until I ground off the outside diameter. The leaf spring was in the way.

Wrench fits in without bending.

I was surprised at how easy/loose. More than finger tight but not much.

Rich,
I am using the Firestone WO1 358 9039 on the front.

Gary
Thanks
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:46 PM   #12

Quote:

Gary
I just replaced the front bags today. I took the front wheels off and dropped the spindle one side at a time. I used a bottle jack under the spindle to lower it and removed the bottom plate with the bag. Also removed the lower shock bolt to get extra room to replace the bag. The first one I didn't remove the sway bar mount and wish I did because it made it much easier replacing the 2nd one. The bottom bag nut and bolt were rusted and took a while to remove with a 1/2 inch impact driver once it was out. I couldn't imagine using a wrench in that tight spot to remove the rusted nut. It's not a fun or fast job. Use penetrating oil the early. The new bags are hard to compress so you will want as much room as you can to get them in place. It's a good time to lube the chassis as well. Good luck with yours.

Randy
therealmrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:02 PM   #13

bags/aprings

Info for changing the bags on our 2000 Alpine 38'.
Started with the bags aired up. Placed 4" blocks under the jacks and raised it all the way up. Next dumped the air.
Removed the air line and fitting and then the 3 nuts . Ground down HF wrench worked great.
Bag came right out.
Installation started with the two top nuts but without the metal mount that comes with new bags. Next squeezed in the bottom mount. Tight fit but a can-do.
Used my home compressor & air gun to blow up the bag and shove the lower stud into place.
Harder but with patients install the lower nut.
Reinstall the air fitting and line.

This, for me, was a 3hr job plus an hour digging out the right tools.

On top of this checked air ride height

Gary
Old 09-19-2018, 01:01 PM   #14

Looking for a part # for the rear air bags on a 2007 model..

Tags
air