Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2017, 10:44 PM   #1

Air Compressor Questions

I have the 400 ISL and noticed that there is an air compressor hook-up. There is no hose attached. If I buy a hose (according to recommendations on this forum, I should use a 1/4 inch hose rated for about 300 psi), how do I get it to work so that I can top off my tires? Will it work when I have the jacks extended and the air bags dumped? Do I have to have the motor running? Is there anything else I need to know to use it or should I buy a stand alone compressor? My fellow RV friend has a small pancake compressor and we could not get it to add any air to the tires. I assume it is not strong enough. Thanks for the guidance!
Kiddikop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2017, 11:44 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Conchasjim Send a message via Yahoo to Conchasjim
After the motor has been running awhile and you have air in the system, just connect your hose and your good to go. I believe that port is for the air brakes, when the unit is being towed the tow truck while connect to that.
Conchasjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:57 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Check that your air brake compressor can actually produce the required pressure to fill your tyres, no good wanting to fill your fronts to 120psi but the on board compressor only gets upto 100psi!
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:06 AM   #4

So far--all interesting input--but none are from Alpine owners. 1- yes, you can air up your tires with that port [ie the one in the rear air filter compartment]; 2- there are 3 kinds of hose connectors [eg. auto, industrial, and universal] universal should work, others may not; 3- you have to run the engine so air bags are going to fill; 4-1/4" hose is ok but 3/8" is better; 5-jacks up/down doesn't matter but bags may lift jacks off ground; 6-most any inflator will work [no tank] with high enough PSI; 7--many compressors [with tank] may not, because: a--PSI not high enough, or b--cut-on pressure setting too low [designed to run 90 PSI air tools] so compressor wont turn on once tire and air tank reach equilibrium.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:38 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Air Compressor Questions

The other reason that folks carry a separate compressor is the psi and volume available from the engine compressor is limited. If you get a separate compressor get one that has a maximum pressure in the 150 pound range. Even with that it will take time to pump up a low tire and unless you get a compressor with a large tank, which you will not want to carry, you will have limited air for a pneumatic tool.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:50 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I tried using the onboard compressor with one of our Dutch Stars. Front tires needed 125 psi and the compressor cut out at 120 so no way. Then I went to carrying a small tank 150 psi compressor. Burned out three of them over the years. Now I have a Viair 12 volt, no tank unit. So far it does the job with no problems even with my 365/70 front and tag tires. But just to top pressure off, anything more would require a service truck and bigger compressor.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:54 PM   #7

....as mentioned, 150 PSI max for a portable compressor isn't the only criteria, if the cut-on pressure is to low, say 95-100, you will have to bleed off the compressor tank once the tank and tire equalize above 100 psi.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 05-25-2017, 11:30 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Yes, we have filled tire using the on board compressor on our Alpine. Notice that a lot of response assume things not relevent to Alpines. Had one tire low, filled to 105 psi without a very long period of time being required. We got a long hose, etc as part of a kit. Have only used it once. Actually not handy for other things as you have to have the engine running.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:22 AM   #9

Sometimes using the onboard compressor can be a (PITA) to top off tires because it takes a special technique to get past the cut off set point of the compressor governor.

You can set your governor up five or ten PSI higher, Or use a portable compressor inline with your coach system.

For the average RV'er, I would not recommend changing the factory air governor settings.

We are lucky enough to have two factory air fittings on our coach, one in front to serve as air up for towing, and another in the maintenance compartment below the drivers side window.

We carry a Porter Cable two gallon 120ac compressor that fits nicely in the maintenance compartment.

It's airline is always plugged into the coach line in that compartment, and it's always plugged into an AC outlet in that compartment.

I don't always leave it switched on, however connected this way, it's always part of the total system.

When I check tire pressures before a trip, and I feel the need to make adjustments, I run the coach engine, and turn on the electric compressor, or I can just run the electric compressor if I chose.

The coach compressor brings up the air pressure fast, and the electric compressor in line maintains the 120PSI I need to adjust tire pressures if needed without a long run time.

Any portable compressor can be used this way by using a tee line system to connect it with your coach system, and one outlet.

This system works remarkably well with air power tools also. I can remove lugs and change a tire if needed, I just add a one gallon surge tank inline with an upsized hose for the impact gun.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:42 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
Sometimes using the onboard compressor can be a (PITA) to top off tires because it takes a special technique to get past the cut off set point of the compressor governor.

You can set your governor up five or ten PSI higher, Or use a portable compressor inline with your coach system.

For the average RV'er, I would not recommend changing the factory air governor settings.

We are lucky enough to have two factory air fittings on our coach, one in front to serve as air up for towing, and another in the maintenance compartment below the drivers side window.

We carry a Porter Cable two gallon 120ac compressor that fits nicely in the maintenance compartment.

It's airline is always plugged into the coach line in that compartment, and it's always plugged into an AC outlet in that compartment.

I don't always leave it switched on, however connected this way, it's always part of the total system.

When I check tire pressures before a trip, and I feel the need to make adjustments, I run the coach engine, and turn on the electric compressor, or I can just run the electric compressor if I chose.

The coach compressor brings up the air pressure fast, and the electric compressor in line maintains the 120PSI I need to adjust tire pressures if needed without a long run time.

Any portable compressor can be used this way by using a tee line system to connect it with your coach system, and one outlet.

This system works remarkably well with air power tools also. I can remove lugs and change a tire if needed, I just add a one gallon surge tank inline with an upsized hose for the impact gun.
Very good info, and I and a lot of my buddy's had the same setup on our semi's, with one addition, I put a inline pressure gauge and dial adjuster, off a old shop compressor, and could just set the dial for the pressure that i wanted for that tire, with a clip on air chuck, and that way I could multi-task while the tire was filling! Rail!
Old 05-26-2017, 02:48 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post

I never actually thought of doing that: using the onboard recievers (tanks) with a second electric compressor, my only worry is exceeding the working pressure of any part of the system, anyone know what that typically is for a bus/truck/RV air system? I know we are only talking 150psi or so but those tanks are awfully thin skinned!!
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:38 AM   #12

Three points.

Air brake systems are designed with 150 + - psi relief valves, so your probably not going to blow up your tanks with a seperate electric compressor.

Unless you are tapped into the air line, preceding the air dryer, you are pumping moisture ladden air into your tanks.

If your going to do this, be sure to install a one way check valve at the point of your Tee connection. You don't want a failure in "your" line to "your" compressor causing you to loose all of your air pressure.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:19 PM   #13

Ok--very interesting conversation about air brakes and supplemental compressors but not applicable here as Alpine doesn't have air brakes, just air suspension. Use the onboard compressor or a portable with an appropriate cut-in PSI/parameter and the OP will be fine......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 05-26-2017, 06:24 PM   #14

Your right !
Water running thru your ride height controls and into your airbags is OK.

Loosing your suspension air from a leak in your patched together system just makes the ride a little bumpy.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor