Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #1

Air conditioner amp draw

In myu 40' 2005 Alpine, the rear a/c unit is not blowing cold. I read the different posts about the coils being cleaned, making sure that tape and foam is in place etc. I had a tech over this afternoon for a different matter and asked him to check out the a/c. He measured the amp draw on the unit and with the compressor running, it only drew 8.25 amps and he said that indicates low freon. The front a/c that is blowing cold is drawing 12.5 amps. He said that indicates a bad a/c. I read that it is cheaper to replace the unit instead of trying to fix it. Any opinions on what the tech said? Makes sense to me that a compressor that has no freon to pump will draw less amps.
Wrinklemeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Generally it will be $400 to find the leak, install Schrader valves and recharge the unit when done properly and at the most yo might get a 30 warranty on the work done.

Personally i would replace i, but I;d do it my self. Shop on line fro new units to get a feeling fro the price. It is a 1 to 1.5 hour job by decent techs.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #3

4 amp difference is certainly in the compressor. IIWMI'd change the start capacitor before throwing in the towel on the unit. Its ~$20, easy DIY. Worst case you have a spare capacitor. Doesn't sound like the tech isolated whether the compressor was running full blast. Usually if the cap is bad, you can hear the compressor cycling on & off.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #4

Thanks Mike, The compressor runs continuously. Does that still sound like capacitor or should I have the tech check something else?
Wrinklemeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #5

If compresser is not short cycling then I would not suspect the starting capacitor. My bet would be on loss of freon which indicates a leak somewhere. May be cheaper to have a HVAC tech give it the once over & provide a repair quote before opting for replacement.
BTF
05 40FDQS
bigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
If the Compressor is running continuously and it is not cooling means it is not compressing the Freon or a blockage in the system. If you check the compressor while running and one side of the compressor tubing going out is hot (High Side) the inlet side should be cold. If not it could be low on Freon (which means a leak) or it could be a bad compressor. The compressor could have a bad valve or valves, (they use reed valves) which is not letting the compressor build pressure. Or it could be a plugged condenser/evaporator or the orifice tube not letting the Freon thru. If the compressor is going bad small pieces of medal from the internals of the compressor can be working there way through the system causing other problems. If you have the compressor replace make sure they flush the system to remove any contaminants and install a good filter in order to prevent any further damage.

A good A/C Tech can diagnosis and repair the problem.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote