Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #1

Air Conditioner Dripping

The A/C in the livingroom started dripping from the main intake. I know when it's humid, and you don't run the fan, that the compressor will freeze, and when it thaws, it will drip. But in the case now, the humidity is high, we're running the fan on high, and it is still dripping. Is it the case that there is so much moisture in the air that it can't drain properly and is overflowing somewhere? We have had problems in the past where sometimes the water doesn't drain out and accumulates on the roof, but that doesn't seem to be so much the case now. The back A/C doesn't seem to have any problem at all. Any thoughts?

gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Make sure your drains are clear on the frame work of the A/C.....Sounds to me they are blocked with crud.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #3

Moisture on the inside is sometimes common when its real hot and humid.
My bathroom vent will do that during shower time.
And occasionally from the quick cool vent.

Turbs
f1100turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #4

Are you getting water out of the drain tube in the generator bay. If not it could be clogged. Thats what happened to me. You can clear it by shooting air into the tube at the generator.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is a thought... Actually 2 or 3 of 'em.

First: Above suggestions good

Second: leveling of the motor home.. I found on my Carriers if I was a tad low in front.. That happened. (They drip off the rear)

Third, if the hold down bolts (4 main bolts) are loose or the roof seal is bad...

Finally.. What I tracked my major drip issue to.

Dirty air intake filters.. Yup, dirty filters.

What happens

When the filters are dirty the blower creates enough vacuum to suck the water out of the drip tray and onto the top of the filter,,,, where it then drip, drip, drips upon you.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #6

I went up on the roof and saw that water was accumulating around the driver side front corner of the unit, and thought that maybe that's where it was leaking through. I was even told by Dometic that water leaking out onto the roof was normal. However, it never dripped in before. I also remembered from other posts that the coach has to be set just right for water to drain down the drain tube. I wiped away the water around the suspect area, and raised the driver side of the coach a bit to encourage the water to run out more. One of those things did the trick. Water began to drain through the drain tube and no more water dripped on the floor. I'm learning that no matter how long one has owned an RV, something new will always pop up.
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator67 View Post

I was even told by Dometic that water leaking out onto the roof was normal. However, it never dripped in before. I also remembered from other posts that the coach has to be set just right for water to drain down the drain tube. I wiped away the water around the suspect area, and raised the driver side of the coach a bit to encourage the water to run out more. One of those things did the trick. Water began to drain through the drain tube and no more water dripped on the floor. I'm learning that no matter how long one has owned an RV, something new will always pop up.
When you have water dripping INSIDE the main A/C opening then you have an A/C gasket seal that is leaking OR the mounting bolts are not tight enough to compress the seal correctly.

The drip pans are on the outside of the gasket, not the inside.

I would suggest completely loosening the mounting bolts for a day to relax the gasket and let it swell up. Then re-tighten the mounting bolts to about 50 INCH pounds which should compress the gasket about to about 1/2 inch in height.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
When you have water dripping INSIDE the main A/C opening then you have an A/C gasket seal that is leaking OR the mounting bolts are not tight enough to compress the seal correctly.

The drip pans are on the outside of the gasket, not the inside.

I would suggest completely loosening the mounting bolts for a day to relax the gasket and let it swell up. Then re-tighten the mounting bolts to about 50 INCH pounds which should compress the gasket about to about 1/2 inch in height.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
As Richard said ... and ... 50 inch lbs. is about what you can generate with a fat handled screwdriver .. NOT a 3 ft. breaker bar.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Water dripping onto the roof *IS* normal.

Just like water dripping under your car (or motor home) when using the A/C. And for the very same reason.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
One other possibility.....Since I just replaced both AC units on my coach, I have a fairly clear memory of what is up there. There are 2 little plastic drip "pans" that are located on the left & right side. These little pans are screwed to the bottom of the AC housing and have clear plastic tubes that run inside the coach thru the thick black foam gasket. The tubes come from each side and are joined by a "T" fitting and then connect to one clear plastic tube that disappears into the roof to drain the water out under the coach. (my coach drains just ahead of the left rear wheels by the water compartment)

It is possible that one of the hoses is leaking where they connect to the "T" or elsewhere up above the air intake in your ceiling.

One of the big issues I had with my AC was that the galvanized metal duct that distributes the cold air to the ducting in the ceiling was not (an I assume never) connected properly so a significant amount of cold air was blowing straight into the AC intake which I assume would lead to freezing it up and stopping the AC process.

Anyway, I'd recommend that you check the drain tube connections above the galvanized metal ducting located above the white plastic air intake cover on your ceiling.

Good luck !

Jeff
Old 08-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #11

I have read many posts on A/C drips and plugged condisation drip lines. I wish someone would post pictures or diagrams so us folks that have not opened up our A/C units could follow along with those that have had good results in mending their A/C units. It would be worth money to me. Name your price
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
For those members that have NOT opened up their roof-top A/C units to do anything, may I suggest that you do that at least once per year solely for a good thorough cleaning.

You'd be surprised at how much better the A/C unit will work and operate in the really HOT weather with really clean coils and condensers.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-29-2013, 10:01 PM   #13

Good advice. Also unplug your Rv before spraying and make sure to fasten down the cover with all the fasteners it came with when finished.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Tiredvet,

I'll do the best I can to show how it works.

Here's a sketch I made to show what is going on up there.

The simple explanation is that a fan draws air up thru the filtered vent in your roof and draws it thru an evaporator which removes the heat & humidity from the air and blows the conditioned air back down into the metal ducting and into the roof ducts for distribution thru the coach.

The humidity condenses and drains into the drain cups where it is supposed to drain into drain hoses that direct it thru the roof, down the walls and under the coach. Those drain cups are actually located under the AC unit above the roof. The hoses are routed thru the black foam seal and into the space above the galvanized metal duct.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV AC Unit.jpg
Views:	927
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	45044  

Tags
air conditioner