Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-28-2006, 03:30 AM   #1

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
The sensors for the Coleman air conditioners in our Apex are located on the ceiling 1/4" to 5" away from the unit cover. The ACs will run for about 30-60 seconds and shut down. I suspect the location of the sensors may contribute to this problem. I will know more today when all the massive air leaks are fixed.

My question: Where are the sensors in the 06 Limited?

Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2006, 03:30 AM   #2

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
The sensors for the Coleman air conditioners in our Apex are located on the ceiling 1/4" to 5" away from the unit cover. The ACs will run for about 30-60 seconds and shut down. I suspect the location of the sensors may contribute to this problem. I will know more today when all the massive air leaks are fixed.

My question: Where are the sensors in the 06 Limited?

Old 02-28-2006, 10:33 AM   #3

Same. Your problem has to be in the thermostat, in the AC units themselves, or in the wiring. If it happens w/all AC's I'd say its the Tstat probably, wiring & AC's are distant 2nd & 3rd probablities respectively.
Unless its operator error; for that need to know your situation. Outside temp, Tstat settings...
Where's the circus these days?
Old 02-28-2006, 03:51 PM   #4

Basil,
Just like E-Mike said they are in the same place. We had a screw fall out of the ceiling piece and it allowed all the air to blow strait on the sensor. The poor thing didn't know what to think. After I fixed it the A/C has been working well. The Tstat is not working right however and I am having them send me a new one. It freezes, goes blank or does not let you change settings. I think the replacement will work just fine.
Lyle
Datastorm #3481
Lyle & Cath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:11 PM   #5

Greetings from Corpus Christi, Texas,

While we were in Conroe, Action RV sealed the big leaks in our AC ducts which fed conditioned air directly back into the inlet. Now the short cyclying is better. Warm & humid here so AC will get a good workout.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:53 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Basil,

It was great meeting you at Quartzite. We have decided on getting an SE and have our 2002 34 up for sale. In searching the posts about the Coleman A/C's I saw this post and thought you were the perfect one to ask.
Are the Coleman air conditioners quieter than the Duo-Therms? Is the difference in height any problem and do the Coleman's have drains on them?

Dale Gerstel
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:04 AM   #7

Greetings from SUNNY Casa Grande, AZ,

The Coleman AC units have a feature we like very much. You can open three sliding vents on the ceiling intake grate and dump all the cold air directly into the room rather than down the center duct. This allows you to quickly cool the room which would be a good feature in Vegas.

They perform well in both the cooling and heat pump modes, on par with the Dometic units in our previous 3 coaches.

The condensate drains work well. WRV has gotten their act together since our 2001 & 2003 coaches that drained the water on the roof or into the coach because the drain system did not work.

Downside:
They are VERY noisey inside the coach, even more so than the Dometic which I thought was loud. "Turn up the TV volume,Sue" Outside, the big fans on the units are noisey.

The covers on the roof are flimsey and rattle going down the road unless you add extra screws and padding. The added height is no problem. I have gotten used to and even like the black color although I had requested that they be painted to match the coach. Maybe the paint doesn't stick to this plastic.

So, given a choice between Coleman & Dometic, next time I will request Dometics.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:09 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Dale, thank you for asking this question! But, I sure don't like part of Basil's answer. Basil, we ordered the Coleman units on our new SE because we were told they are much quieter than the Dometic units. It sounds like your experience is just the opposite. Is it possible that this is unique to your units, or do other Apex owners experience that same noise level?

Thanks!
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:51 PM   #9

I would have to agree with Basil on this one. I thought the Dometic was quieter and I would probably chose it again, if I had the choice.
Lyle
Lyle & Cathy
Apex 1
Datastorm #3481
Lyle & Cath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:59 PM   #10

Is it possible that this is unique to your units, or do other Apex owners experience that same noise level?

Gail & John, not wanting any decisions to be based on my hearing alone which may be questionable after years on the flight line at Boeing, I have requested postings from the other 24 Apex owners I am aware of. Who knows, maybe I'm the only one with this opinion.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:19 PM   #11

Sorry guys this is off subject.

Basil,

I get the Small show, just two clowns having fun.

But Boeing brats too boot, Kathy and I are retired Boeing 35 years and 28 years respectively.

By the way we just bought a winter home base in Brownsville TX.

Wayne and Kathy
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 05:00 PM   #12

Howdy Basil,

Probably has nothing to do with your situation but from day-one, we have had issues with our Dometic units cutting out/short cycling--especially when we first stop and get settled. I have no facts to back this up but my suspicion is that with two A/C units on, the electric water heater firing up, and the inverter going full tilt to re-charge the batteries (atleast top them off everytime you shut off the engine), we were pulling more than 50 amps so the built-in power mgt system [PMS]in the coach selectively shuts off one of the A/Cs. Not sure how they [WRV]accounted for your 3 units in the PMS???..So how wild an idea is this?

dean

PS Is Sue still thinking about a ACA Texan rally in March at Buckhorn in Kerrville?
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:35 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
We really like the looks of the Coleman Chillgrill & the 3 sided vents are very effective in getting the cold/hot air into the coach. We also find ours is quieter when operating than the Dometic in the '03. We can actualy have the front one operating during the night w/o it awakening us.

However, the exterior cover is very flimsy and it rattles in the wind and while driving, inspite of our attempts to pad it. We have not added additional screws yet which probably will quiet it but we are going to have Guaranty do it when we have it in there for Warranty work next month.

If we can stabilize the exterior shroud - then we would go with the Coleman again.
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:02 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks, Swans! I wonder if there were changes made by Coleman between the 2006 and 2007 model years to quiet them down. I can certainly hope!

Sorry, I sort of got this off topic going from sensor location to noise. For purposes of the Focus Group discussions, do you all think the sensors should be moved?

gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote