Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #29

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
Personally, I have always thought the brackets were flimsey and the pop rivets could pull out of the fiberglass due to vibration. I am considering adding aluminum straps on top between the roof and the airdam to further restrain it. Would not show from the ground.

We lost ours a few years ago on I35 between Dallas & Corpus Christi while still under warranty.

Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2010, 05:38 PM   #30

I am curious as to what has been failing to allow the spoiler to detach from the coach. Are the rivets pulling out from the bracket-to-coach, bracket-to-spoiler, or are the thin aluminum brackets failing at the bend radius? I have had the radiator grill attach brackets and the brackets on the passenger side panel that covers the holding tanks fail at bend radii. Apparently no one at WRV had any concept regarding the requirement of providing the proper radius when forming various aluminum brackets. Without this radius on aluminum or steel, the part will eventually fail.

Without having seen any drawings or pictures of a spoiler repair I plan to modify the existing brackets as follows. Iíll either get a sheet of .040 or .050, 4130 steel or an extruded aluminum angle, probably about .125 and make a backup angle with the coach-to-spoiler bend on the opposite side of the existing aluminum bracketís flange. Iíve already made a pattern of the existing bracket. I really donít want to remove the spoiler and I know of no pop rivet squeezer that will fit in the space between the spoiler and end cap. Also, Iíd really like to know how anyone could get bolts on any of the bracket flanges. Iíve basically given up on trying to bolt in a new bracket. Therefore, Iíll use the same method that Iíve installed solar panels on the Alpine and two previous coaches. Iíve never lost a panel yet so I donít think the spoiler will be a problem either. Each corner of the panels have aluminum angles bolted to the panel then the base of the angle is potted in Dicor or similar sealant/adhesive and secured to the roof with a self tapping screw. For the new spoiler reinforcing bracket I will already have drilled two bracket-to-coach attach holes, and also two or three 3/16Ē pilot holes to secure the old and new bracket faces together. Once the new bracket is secured to the end cap Iíll use a small 90 degree aircraft drill and drill through the 3/16Ē pilot holes into the old bracket and secure with the appropriate hardware.

Of course my beef-up does not address the spoiler-to-bracket attach point. Right now, what I can see with a mirror and flashlight looks like WRV secured this area with load spreading rivets and it appears some sort of potting resin. This looks like a fairly secure attachment. Most of the attachment is under the running light, so this too might be a candidate for one more bracket. In this case, I believe small machine screws with self-locking nuts could be used under the running light frame and be completely hidden.

Iíll probably get into the project sometime this week, so if anyone has any other ideas I would definitely welcome any and all suggestions.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:37 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melorene View Post
I have an 08 and want to know what is causing the air dam to come off. is it the poprivits pulling out? Maybe they could be replaced before anything happens..Has anyone done this before it came off? Mel
There is a combination of problems. Mine came loose due to the brackets breaking at the sharp bend where the bracket attaches to the spoiler. My rivets were all tight, just attached tightly to a broken bracket. Replacing the pop rivets would not have prevented my problem. But it might fix some problems.

I reused the remainder of my brackets and bolted steel corner brackets to them. Then pop riveted the spoiler to the new corner brackets. It has been 2+ years and no signs of another problem. The brackets and the rivets are holding.

Others in this thread had the brackets come off the cap. Still others reported loose rivets.

My suspicion is that the quality of the bracket varies due to possibly different vendors used by WRV? And no doubt different people doing the riveting. I believe my brackets are strong enough, but were bent too sharply, causing stress crack at the corners. If there was a radius, there would be no problem.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #32

Jim,
I just finished the beef-up of my existing spoiler brackets; hopefully it’s on to stay. I used 1” x 1” x .125, 2024 T3 aircraft aluminum extrusion supports on all bracket corners opposite the sharply bent flanges. This has created an extremely strong sheer-web that utilizes the existing bracket and now has absolutely no movement. I believe if one were so inclined to hang from one’s fingertips, this spoiler would provide an excellent exercise bar – it is that strong. For the bracket-to-end cap attachment, I used a two-part epoxy to bond the angles to the existing aluminum brackets along with aircraft AN525-10 Washer Head Screws and AN365-1024 Elastic Stop Nuts. The AN525’s are high-strength alloy steel with a tensile strength of 125,000 psi, the same as standard AN3, 3/16” aircraft quality bolts. As far as I’m concerned, the pop rivets WRV utilized are completely unsuitable for this attachment. For attaching the new angles to the rear cap, I again used the epoxy and three ľ” x ĺ” self-tapping hex-head screws potted in the epoxy. The Washer Head Screws worked particularly well as replacements for the pop rivets that I drilled out on the bracket-to-spoiler flange. WRV hid these rivets under the clearance lights. The Washer Head Screws have a very low profile head and work nearly as well as the pop rivets under the light assembly. There are now four of these aircraft-quality screws securing the bracket-to-spoiler, two through the existing bent flange and two through the new angle which, of course, is epoxied and bolted to each of the original brackets. I then sealed the entire bracket-to-end cap flanges and fasteners with Dicor.

If I were to do this project again, which I do not plan, I might consider completely removing the spoiler and all brackets, fabricate 4130 steel brackets, and bolt the entire assembly back in place. This would be a lot more work, and I’m not certain the end result would be any stronger than the “Mark I Edition” of my aluminum angle beef-up. I might add, before I started my modification, I used my borescope to check for fatigue cracks in the existing aluminum brackets; there were none. Had they been cracked I would have gone to new steel brackets.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:05 AM   #33

Does anyone have a recommendation of a body shop in Oregon to inspect and strengthen my air dam? I do not do that stuff..maybe Guarantee in Junction City or ? will be going thru there in July..
Old 04-21-2010, 11:37 AM   #34

Carrier & Sons, near Junction City, does a lot of custom work, you might want to try them. They installed their version of the steering box reinforcement-mod on our 2006 and we are very pleased with their building/design quality and workmanship. Very nice folks too.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:45 AM   #35

Thanks, was talking to Hendersons yesterday, topic unrelated to this and they said they also do the steering box.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:41 AM   #36

Alpine Owners Club
OK--I admit that I don't fully understand all the electronic gizmos on this motorhome, but I'm now convinced that the Vansco Control Module (or something else) is connecting with the internet and irv2.com, and then causing failures in every system that other Alpines have had problems with.

We were northbound on I5 and I noticed our spoiler blowing in the wind behind us, attached to the motorhome only by the electrical wires to the lights. Can't tell if the brackets broke first or the rivets popped out first, but the result is that the spoiler is now deflecting air in the basement, and the rear cap needs touchup paint when we get home.

I didn't hear it come loose so it's fortunate that the wires held so that we didn't loose it completely.

In the meantime, I'm considering not running my computer in the motorhome any more.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:32 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLori View Post

In the meantime, I'm considering not running my computer in the motorhome any more.
A wise choice!

Sorry to hear that you joined our not-so-exclusive Lost Spoiler Club, although you and I technically didn't lose ours. Out of morbid curiosity I will be interested to hear where your spoiler failure occurred.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:51 PM   #38

Alpine Owners Club
Just south of Sutherlin, OR. We'd just left the 7 Feathers RV Resort.

JimA, do you have any pics of your repair?
Old 04-24-2010, 08:08 AM   #39

Alpine Owners Club
Anybody have any pictures of the failed bracket?
Old 04-24-2010, 10:31 AM   #40

Alpine Owners Club
Refuse:
I do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bracket.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	3797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bracket2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	3798  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bracket3.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	3799  
Janet&Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:35 AM   #41

Alpine Owners Club
John and Lori:
Sorry to hear about your loss, our coach should be finished and ready to go today I will post before and after photos as soon as we get it back
Sid
Janet&Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:31 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLori View Post

JimA, do you have any pics of your repair?
No I don't, but I will try to get you some pictures. Not easy now with the spoiler back up there, but I will give it a shot.