Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:11 PM   #43

Today, while preparing the coach for departure on our summer travels, because of this thread I decided to check all the attach points for the spoiler. I found that if you remove the marker light lens' from the outsides and middle of the spoiler you will find screws that both attach the marker light to the spoiler and secure the spoiler to the mounting brackets. These screws are in addition to the rivets. The majority of the screws were loose, and a couple of them had actually backed out about 1/4". After tightening these screws, the spoiler was attached very firmly. Before, the attachment felt loose and sloppy.

Great "heads up" for folks out there. Check the attachments on the spoiler! Thanks!

johnwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2010, 12:34 PM   #44

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks for that info John. It will be helpful when I re-attach the spoiler.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #45

John,

If you are talking about the two screws that hold the imitation chrome, plastic light assembly in place, I wouldn't place too much trust in these two little screws, they are only for mounting the light. When I did my spoiler reinforcement I found at least two of the light assembly screws didn't even hit the bent tab of the aluminum bracket, only the fiberglass. If you want to make the simplest improvement to the spoiler-to-bracket attach point, I'd recommend drilling out the Mickey Mouse pop rivets and using two low-head-profile machine screws in their place at each bracket that you can access. Of course this would not help with the problem of the brackets failing at the flange bend radius. As you can see in Sid and Janet’s pictures, the left spoiler flange probably failed at the bend and more than likely created the catastrophic failure in all the other rivets – the old zipper effect. Also note the pop rivet in the right hand bracket. The bulb section is expanded mostly at the face of the bracket’s flange. All this did was expand the hole in the fiberglass cap and probably did not provide much security. Note the hourglass shape of the rivet and you will see, at the end, where the nail pulls the rivet, there is very little expansion. I would guess this rivet was really not doing much. Another item I found interesting is the minimal edge distance on the rivets that either failed or pulled through the flanges on the video camera bracket assembly. Great workmanship once again by WRV…
Old 04-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #46

Thanks for the reply Birddog Pilot, I didn't pull things apart to check the things that you have observed. Just puts another thing on my list to do down the road.

There was definitely a mechanical benefit (stopping the wobble) to tightening the screws, hopefully the attachment will last long enough to let me do the reinforcements at my leisure. :-)
johnwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:26 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLori View Post
Just south of Sutherlin, OR. We'd just left the 7 Feathers RV Resort.

JimA, do you have any pics of your repair?
John/Lori,

Here are some pictures of my lost spoiler, before and after. I didn't originally take the pictures to show the problem, just as a record for me, so they are not the greatest photos.

The before pictures show the remainder of the existing brackets. The left and right brackets broke, and the spoiler was held on by the middle bracket, which would not have lasted much longer. The spoiler was bouncing on the camera, knocking its aim down, which is how I knew I had a problem.

I had the broken pieces of all four brackets that were still riveted to the spoiler. I marked and drilled holes in the corner bracket to match the holes in the spoiler. I then bolted the new corner brackets to the existing brackets, and then pop riveted the spoiler to the bracket. Access is not great behind the spoiler, so I used pop rivets instead of screws like I used to attach the corner pieces to the bracket. The new corner brackets are steel, so I think the rivets will hold better. So far they have. I used Loctite on the screws.

I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lost spoiler1.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	3892   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lost spoiler2.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	3893  

Name:	Lost spoiler3.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	3894   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01782b.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	3895  

Name:	DSC01783b.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	3896   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01785b.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	3897  

Old 05-04-2010, 03:40 PM   #48

We are in the process of repairing the spoiler attachment on our coach at our dealer. Our rivets were loose and one on the center light missed the bracket, as have others. The looseness and rocking had worn some of the fiberglass on the driver's side attachment to the coach.

The dealer's tech has seen this issue before and his solution is to use a special moly-rivet, similar to a moly screw that expands when inserted through the fiberglass. He says the rear cap will break loose before the spoiler attachments once these are in. He is using three of these rivets instead of two to reattach the bracket to the end cap. On the spoiler to bracket, he is using the same moly-rivet but putting washers in front and behind the bracket to give more holding area after the rivet expands and tightens He is also siliconing the brackets on both attachments, like when an awning is attached to the side. Siliconing around the brackets will also help prevent the bracket from moving against the rivets.

Our brackets are made of galvanized steel, and they look fine with no signs of cracking or wear. It looks like JimA's are made of aluminum, but that may just be gray paint on the bracket, and WRV may have used steel on all of them.

I don't have a picture of the particular moly-rivet the tech is using but he says this, along with the silicone to help hold the position, has always worked before when he had to hold spoilers or items like it to the body of a coach. He also pointed out the spoiler gets a lot of wind force against it going down the road, and I had not thought about the amount of that force, but it has to be fairly significant.

I'm posting this as a potentially simple alternative to tightening this spoiler. When I get the coach back I'll take some pictures of the rivets and the attachment for those who are interested.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #49

OldForester,

My brackets were aluminum, spray painted gold to match the rear cap. NOT steel. The new corner brackets were galvanized steel, which I spray painted with white paint. They are barely visible, so not worth matching paint.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:41 PM   #50

Jim A,

Amazing how WRV could use aluminum brackets on your '04 and galvanized steel on my '06. Makes me wonder if they had some failures on the aluminum brackets that we didn't know about. But my rivets were loose so in either case, brackets or rivets, or both, they still have issues.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:17 PM   #51

Since WRV went to a molded-in spoiler as part of the rear cap on later years, I would guess they had numerous problems with the spoiler, and at least a few fixes that didn't work.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:16 PM   #52

We had our spoiler brackets replaced by the dealer (see above part of this thread) and he decided to re-fabricate the brackets out of a heavier guage steel
Old 05-25-2010, 04:58 PM   #53

Fat-fingered the response above. After the dealer's tech re-fabricated the brackets out of a heavier gauge steel, he attached the spoiler to the brackets and to the coach with moly-type rivets in the picture below, which he gets from Tacoma Screw Products for about $1/apiece. He says he's used these rivets for a long time to fasten items to coaches and they have never come out, unless a big chunk of fiberglass from the coach body came with them. The spoiler is tight now and looks like factory installation, only beefier.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0171.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	4153  
Old 05-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #54

I think the spoiler problems are all in the later years using cheaper brackets & small rivets. The one piece was a way to cut down on production cost; one less piece of fiberglass molding, less assembly, less paint complication... The spoiler had to be pretty spendy for what it accomplished.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:36 PM   #55

OldForester,

Do you happen to know which type, material, and size rivet was used on your coach? I looked at the web site for Tacoma Screw Products, but could not determine the appropriate rivet.

Type: blind, structural blind?
Material: aluminum/aluminum, aluminum/steel, stainless/stainless, steel/steel?
Size: ??
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:44 PM   #56

Dale,

I will get the information on the rivets and get back to you. I tried to get it before I posted the picture buy the dealer's purchasing manager was not available. I'll get the part number from Tacoma Screw and everything else I can find out tomorrow and post it.