Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:28 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Air dam or rear spoiler replacement

Janet and I just bought our first motor coach, a 2004 Alpine from a dealer in Tempe AZ. While driving it back home to FL, the spoiler came off near San Antonio. We never heard a noise or saw a thing, only noticed camera had developed a little shake. When we arrived at the campgrounds in San Antonio I noticed it as soon as I got out and walked behind the coach. Does anyone know how we could go about finding a replacement?
Sid Hodgson

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2010, 07:51 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Congratulations on your new purchase and welcome to the cult.

This link was posted by another member a few months ago. Not sure if they will have what you need, but it's worth a try...

2003 ALPINE WESTERN - 2003 WESTERN - 00687743E02

Old 01-30-2010, 01:08 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Spoiler

Refuse1 Thank you for your help. I contacted the site you gave me, but the spoiler had been destoyed in the rear fire. So I am still looking for a solution. Thanks again for your help. Sid
Old 01-30-2010, 01:45 PM   #4

Sid-
1) I like the work you did on Ice Age. It was priceless.
2) Check this thread on fiberglass body parts, and this other thread, for possible sources. The first thread has the name of a local fiberglass plant WRV used, and the second the contact for a farmer who bought a bunch of racks at the WRV auction which contained fiberglass parts & molds.
3) Welcome to the Alpine herd, and iRV2. Hope to see you around here, and at an ACA rally soon.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:56 PM   #5

Sid,
We just lost our spoiler also. We were not towing at the time but I hope it didn't hit another car when it came off. It looks to me that the aluminum brackerts were too thin a gauge and just cracked from stress.
Did you have any luck in finding a replacement? It looks like a complicated part to fabricate because it has the lights built into it.
Marsh
Old 02-28-2010, 11:07 PM   #6

The lights aren't really built in, but there are indents molded into the fiberglass for the clearance lights. Those indents do kind of limit you as to which lights will fit. I did find LED clearance lights that are identical in size, shape, and mounting screw holes to the original lights on the '04.

My spoiler came loose due to broken brackets, but I noticed it before it left the coach, so I had something to put back on.

Somebody in Alpine Socal mentioned having a new mold made to replace their lost spoiler, but unfortunately I can't remember who it was.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:33 PM   #7

I read at one time that Miles Fiberglass and Composites Inc in Clackamas OR made parts for WRV. Three phone numbers are listed 503 775 7755, 503 771 6438, and 503 657 8345. Might want to give them a call.

Kraig
2007 Apex
Old 03-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Marsh:
I can't imagine what it must be like following a coach as it's air dam blows off. We were unable to locate a new one from any any of the sources recommended here. My idea for making it out of a 2 x 8 was rejected by my saner half. We are having one fabricated similar to original, but it will not be identical since all we have are pictures to go by. The cost to fabricate was reasonable ($700), but the final bill with paint fabricated brackets lights and fixing fiberglass where it tore off was not($6,500). Good luck with yours, if I have any insights as we procede towards the finished product I will let you know. You are right about the gauge of the aluminum, the new ones will be much heavier, but then we run the risk of more damage if it is the fiberglass that gives way.
Sid
Old 03-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #9

FIBERGLASS REPLACEMENT PARTS - contact Amtech LLC for part availibility 509-877-2228 (business), 509-877-5962 (direct) or e-mail llubrano@amtechcorp.com. A replacement spoiler is available.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:33 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Jim A:
Could you please let me know where you found the clearance lights.
Sid
Old 03-05-2010, 10:35 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Tothefront:
Thank you for the information, they do have the molds and are shipping it in 2 weeks.
Thanks again,
Sid
Old 03-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #12

Sid,

Here are the lights I found. These fit perfectly on the rear spoiler.

OPTRONICS, INC. - MCL-71 Series

I bought mine through Luckyb.com a couple of years ago, but I am not sure if they still exist. I didn't find them with a quick search. I did a Google search with the MCL-71RB part number and found some sources. Amazon had them in sets, but not individually. Here is one source:

Flush Mount LED Trailer Clearance, Side Marker Light with Chrome Trim, 2 Diode - Red MCL71RB : Trailer hitch bike rack and trailer hitches - etrailer.com

When I installed mine, I connected the white wires to the white wires and the black wires to the black wires, of course. They didn't work! The WRV wiring harness polarity was backwards! Grrrr.... I cut and switched the wires on the harness and they worked perfectly. So try one first when you install it. The incandescent bulbs don't care about polarity, but LED's do.

I hope this helps.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:25 AM   #13

This post reminded me to take a look at my spoiler again. My metal brackets still all look OK, but the spoiler is pop riveted to the brackets. I noticed that one of the rivets completely missed the metal bracket and the others are now loose, so that the spoiler can be rocked up and down. I will be replacing all of the rivets with bolts and washers, once I find some elevator type bolts that will fit.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:58 AM   #14

Ken,

If you can rock the spoiler, look quickly for those bolts!!! It likely won't last long in that condition. If you don't find the bolts you are looking for, at least put in new pop rivets for now. Motion is a killer.

The pop rivets I used when I reinstalled mine seem to be holding fine. But those rivets are now going through a rigid steel bracket.