Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2018, 06:41 PM   #1

Air Dryer Purge

Been reading about air dryers. Given (most) Alpines do not have air brakes, how often should the air dryer purge (blow/pop-off) air?
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2018, 07:00 PM   #2

Sitting still, it shouldn't purge for at least 15 minutes or so.

If you have air suspension, the movement traveling down the road, will use some air. As the suspension adjusts, air is used and discharged to maintain ride height.

The Alpines I've read about do have air assisted hydraulic breaks. There are air chambers that push the master cylinder, when you step on the pedal.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:31 PM   #3

…..not so much -- only a very small number of Alpines were built with traditional air brakes....none that I know of ever had air over hydraulic....as for air dryer maintenance--air volume is not as much of an issue for Alpines as age....its been suggested that the internal desiccant cartridge can rupture with age and contaminate the air system....so perhaps change the cartridge every 5-6 years or may be before 10 years?????? ….sure others will have opinions.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:37 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
From my experience it varies a lot depending mainly on how bumpy or winding the road is. Standing on level ground with engine running and E-brake not engaged I would say 15 minutes or more is good. On a very smooth straight road 6-8 minutes is good. On a very bumpy winding road less that 3 minutes sometimes. My coach has the Haldex "IR" (instant response) style ride height valves that use a little more air than the "CR" (controlled response) style. Your coach may use the CR valves. Not too sure on that. You may not have the variable turbo that uses some air too.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:27 AM   #5

Yes, the vast majority of Alpines have hydraulic over hydraulic brakes.

A very few have regular air brakes.

None have air over hydraulic.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:31 AM   #6

…..not sure about IR Vs CR but no variable pitch turbo on a 99...that feature began with the Pegasus engine on a 2005.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 07-18-2018, 06:51 AM   #7

...having said what I said about brakes on Alpines--I try not to say "never" or "always" when it comes to Alpines. In particular, this applies to the short-run production Avalanche. Pretty sure they had traditional air brake drums in rear but not sure about the front axle--but again, pretty small sample size here....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 07-18-2018, 09:11 AM   #8

The reason for mentioning air brakes was due to Alpines difference in demand for compressed air as compared to coaches with an air brake system. Sometimes reading various iRV2 posts things get confusing. Hence my post/question. Since Alpines have a somewhat different air system, I am try to gain a sense as to what is normal or typical purge interval for the air dryer. Based on the responses, what I need to do is park on level ground, chalk the wheels, e-brake off and time the intervals between purges.

Admittedly, this is the first diesel I have owned. So I am working on my education regarding systems like the air dryer, air governor and compressor. What needs maintenance and how often, how it functions and what is normal in order to troubleshoot if it becomes necessary. Guys, all of you are a big help ... thank you!
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air