Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2008, 12:09 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Does anyone out there know where I can get a K&N type air filter for my coach??

We had one on our 04, but it appears that the company we got it from is out of business as it's phone number now takes me to a naughty 900 site, and I can't find it with a Google search.

Thanks!!!
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2008, 12:09 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Does anyone out there know where I can get a K&N type air filter for my coach??

We had one on our 04, but it appears that the company we got it from is out of business as it's phone number now takes me to a naughty 900 site, and I can't find it with a Google search.

Thanks!!!
Old 05-28-2008, 12:43 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The Ford diesel forum have a lot about NOT using the K&N air filters on a diesel. Seems the littlle bit of dust that gets through is not so good on the turbo. I now I will not run one on my diesel truck.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:14 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Gail,

Go to this thread (http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/...172#7251012172). It talks about the possible problems, using the K&N filter.
1peddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
B&D

G&J,

Go to the K&N website http://www.knfilters.com/
to find the product you need , the locate the nearest dealer from the site.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:59 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
B&D, that's where I started, but they don't have sizes that come near to what we need.

I took 1peddler's advice and looked at that thread as well as another in September 2005. There was a lot of discussion between Engineer Mike and Stretch about the pros and cons of K&N, with others chiming in, too. I know we bought our previous filter from Danny Allison, as Dave did, so it was probably the same as his. I think this time we'll take Stretch's advise and look for a Donaldson nanofiber filter. There are 3 locations that carry Donaldson products in LV.

Guess I should have done a search before I bothered you all!
Old 05-28-2008, 06:33 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Gail,

I've been looking for that Donaldson. Let me know if you find a good source.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:59 PM   #8

Just not worth the risk of a dusted engine to use that type of filter no matter what K&N says in their ads.
I have had considerable amount of experience with K&N filters in offroad motorcyles. The hassle of washing that thing and then oiling it just right so it doesn't suck oil into the CAC or under oiling it so it doesnt work. They may be fine if you can afford the overhauls but I am committed to the 'KISS' principle and also not to keen on throwing money away at questionable improvements (most of my spare change is going into fuel at this point) A talk with Cummings (I like that spelling best) may be enlighting.
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:16 AM   #9

I would think Cummins would not be happy at all if your engine failed for any reason and you were using an air filter other than what Cummins approves. I would bet your 5 year warranty would go right down the drain. That big guy in the back of your coach is a mighty expensive item to pay for out of pocket.

Ted
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:18 PM   #10

Been in the diesel filter business for over 35 years
Please, please do not use the K&N. Why do it? The stock pleated paper filter made by Donaldson, Fleetguard. Baldwin and others is THE most efficient by far. Since on-highway use is really a light duty situation we can go at least 30 to 40 thousand miles before changing filter elements. Just watch the filter minder gauge. Many of us will never need to change the filter element b4 we trade the motorhome off.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:14 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stretch:
Been in the diesel filter business for over 35 years
Please, please do not use the K&N. Why do it? The stock pleated paper filter made by Donaldson, Fleetguard. Baldwin and others is THE most efficient by far. Since on-highway use is really a light duty situation we can go at least 30 to 40 thousand miles before changing filter elements. Just watch the filter minder gauge. Many of us will never need to change the filter element b4 we trade the motorhome off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

AMEN!
Also, we learned during the Saint Helens eruption during the 80's that a new filter does not filter as efficently as a filter with some hours on it. Has to do with dirt plugging up the larger openings in the new filter and not allowing the fines to pass. All the major filter and equipment manufacturers sent out information on how long to run filters. The one thing they all stated was use the filter minder to determine when to change out the air filter.
If the oil burner in our camper goes out, you can bet Cummins is going to take a hard look at the K&N filter and then examine the CAC and all the piping for oil residue. Also the oil analysis is going to reveal how much dirt has passed by the rings.
I used K&N filters for years on offroad motorcycles and they did their job but what a pain to wash them out and reoil. To much oil and they don't work right, to little and to much dirt will pass. Engine rebuilds amounted to couple of hundred dollars in parts so it was not a big issue. Gas engines are a lot more tolerant of dirt than diesels by a wide margin.
We are at 40k miles or more on our camper air filter and don't see any need for a change, just like 'Stretch' said.
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:59 AM   #12

I purchased a K&N type filter to replace the OEM unit on my diesel Trek. Due to the conical shape it had about 50% more filter area than the OEM rectangular pleated paper. However, I never installed it. Held up to the light I could see numerous large pinholes that wold pass large dirt particles as well as large volumes of small particles.

After reading up on the exigencies of filtration for high compression diesel engines, and the damage done to cylinders/rings by dirt in the high compression phase of the piston stroke, I decided not to trade the easier breathing of the K&N type filter for the shorter life of the engine. I coulda wrapped the conical filter w/additional media * installed it, effectively trading a smaller filter area for a larger one, a s an alternative. If there was a larger media area alternative for the Cummins, that maintained the same filtration standard, I'd consider it. But it wouldn't be a very high priority, as I'm fairly satisfied w/the overall engineering job Cummins has done to optimize fuel economy, engine lifespan, and owner sanity/brain-damage
Old 05-31-2008, 02:32 PM   #13

And not to mention erosion of the intake air compressor.

Question: If the K & N type filter was so darned good, why don't any of the filtration industry's "Big Boys" make them?

Answer: Because the efficiency is so poor.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote