Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-26-2005, 02:12 PM   #1

Our Air Horn sounds continuously!!! Does anyone know where the air control valve is on a 99 Alpine? And what does it look like? I assume it has an air line in and an air line out and 2 wires. But so far no one has been able to find it. For now the air line to the horns has been blocked so we can drive but we need to find that valve!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2005, 02:12 PM   #2

Our Air Horn sounds continuously!!! Does anyone know where the air control valve is on a 99 Alpine? And what does it look like? I assume it has an air line in and an air line out and 2 wires. But so far no one has been able to find it. For now the air line to the horns has been blocked so we can drive but we need to find that valve!

Old 06-26-2005, 09:00 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I remembered seeing black air lines under the dash, so I went and took a look. On the right side of the steering post and above the brake and throttle pedals there is a little white plastic unit (about the size of pill bottle) with two black air lines and two little white wires. This has smaller black tubing than the 'Park Brake' located above it. I didn't have time to check further, but at least you might have a starting point. Hope this helps.
D&D Rich
Great Salt Lake Route
Old 06-27-2005, 06:36 AM   #4

Our problem was caused from the wire shorting out under the horn button in the steering wheel. The wire was pinched when installed.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:30 PM   #5

For the moment, electrical problems have been ruled out as the fuse has been removed. I checked under the dash and from above by removing the cover behind the guages and I can not see any hoses at all (there are two hoses associated with guages but only a hose in, no hose out. I assume these are for the air bags but not sure.). Others have done the same with the same result. D&D Rich: I guess the 2001 has a different layout for the dash - our parking brake is located over next to the shift selector. Anyone out there with a 99 model???
Old 06-28-2005, 05:27 PM   #6

I just saw a Monaco with the same problem. The little box is probably the horn air supply solenoid. If it is stuck open the electrical switch is not effective and will permit air to the horns when the engine is running. It will need to be replaced.
Richard and Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 01:33 AM   #7

The airhorn is supplied by an electric solenoid slightly behind the steering column on the right side about 1-1/2' to 2' from the floor on the front wall of the coach. If that is the problem thats where the solenoid is located.

The airline runs up underneath the dash and up the center column between the windshields and through the roof to the horns.

WRVACEMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 11:01 AM   #8

I recplaced the airhorn solenoid on our 2003 Alpine Coach in March of this year. The valve was located as WRVACEMP indicated. I purchased the replacement valve from a NAPA store -- part #1136 for $48.70.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:06 AM   #9

Thanks Duwain & WRVACEMP.

I looked again and I can not find it. Keep in mind that the coach is a 1999 and starting in 2000 or so the dash looks quite different. And I don't think the air line goes up the center post (it is only an inch or so wide on 98-99 coaches). The airline goes up the driver side according to the tech who cut the line and plugged it but he was unable to trace the line back to the control valve.

I did send a letter to WRV Customer Service but does anyone there remember what a 1999 coach looks like?

Ok, so on a 99 could it be under the flat part of the dash? It appears the top cover comes off and underneith is a piece of plywood - does the plywood come off and what is underneith it?
Old 07-04-2005, 10:41 AM   #10

My bad.
I started there in 99 so that would be the 2000 model year.

WRVACEMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 06:49 PM   #11

According to Mark at WRV the control valve is located on the left side behind the TV. So if your Alpine has the TV over the Driver area look behind the TV. Many thanks to those who responded and to Mark at WRV (he also provided some answers to other problems, at least one of these I will try to post for others with the same problem - after the fix happens).
Old 07-15-2006, 08:45 AM   #12

Help -- We have a 1999 Alpine with an airhorn problem. When we are sitting still with the air built up, the air horn works. When we are on the road, it does not. Does anyone have any answers?
Old 07-23-2006, 03:14 PM   #13

Our air horn ('99 FDS) does not work at all, so I'll be watching for helpful replies. With all the problems mentioned with the electric solenoid, how hard is it to change to a manual valve with lanyard?

Gary
Old 08-01-2006, 08:06 PM   #14

Update on airhorn not working -- we replaced the solonoid, which we purchased from a Kenworth dealer. The solonoid is located behind the two front cabinets.