Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2016, 03:56 PM   #1

Air Horn Solenoid location

I cannot find the air horn solenoid on my 2000 36MDS Alpine Coach. Have looked for several hours to no avail. Leaving tomorrow for East Coast and no horns. Blowing fuse every time I hit the horn button. Any help would be appreciated.
Billw5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2016, 04:45 PM   #2

Air horn solenoid

I have a 2000 36FDS and I'm sure I saw my solenoid above the windshield in either the center or far right overhead cabinet. It was behind a small access panel ( 4 screws to remove ) . It's worth a look.

Fun Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:55 PM   #3
hax

On my '03 it is above the brake pedal on the about behind the parking brake.

2003 ALPINE 40FDTS
hax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:26 AM   #4

Solenoid location on 2000 Aipine MDS 36' Found!

Hey thanks all for replying, Found Solenoid in center cabinet above driver seat.It was located behind the back wall of the cabinet. Just cut back of cabinet out with carpet knife and then fished around for it with my hand. Odd place for it so I hope this helps anyone else looking for their solenoid.

2000 Alpine 36' MDS
Billw5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:07 PM   #5

Air horn solenoid location

Do you have any pictures of location?
rangerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:02 PM   #6

Billw5300, sorry I did not pick-up on your post sooner. On the older Alpines, as you discovered, the solenoid is located behind the front upper cabinets. Found this out when I removed the above the drive seat TV cabinet and gutted the two to the right. This gave me access to fix the Marker lights, rework some old wiring and rebuild the insides for better storage. At the same time will build an easy access panel for future needs -- such as replacing the horn solenoid.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:13 PM   #7

rangerdan, the solenoid is very hard to get to without doing some deconstruction. I guess WRV never intended the solenoid to fail. If you ever have to do a replacement, there is no way around, you will have to roll-up your sleeves and remove all the AV components and dismantle the inside of the cabinet. You may access the solenoid through the back of the far right cabinet. Since I my intent was to gut the insides anyway, I didn't pay attention to which one would be the easier route to take
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 08:06 PM   #8

My 2008 alpine coach air horn stopped working. Its a smart wheel. Any help would be great!
Pmllol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:28 PM   #9

When in doubt--reset Vansco. Believe all models of Alpine have some version of a smart wheel.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:15 PM   #10

Found solenoid but tested wires no power. Yes we rebooted system but there is no power to solenoid, and on 2008 models the solenod is located just under the steering column, Now we need to find a fuse. Called rv corral and they said there are no fuses to the Vasco module just reboot whch means turn power off for 15 seconds. Still no power to the solenoid. still no horn!
Old 12-28-2016, 06:14 PM   #11

Horn on Vansco coaches works like this:
1. Depress horn switch on VIP SmartWheel (SW), signal goes by brown/gray twisted wire pair from wheel assembly to SW Module box on firewall ahead of passenger's feet and above left of the front VMM
2. SW module sends signal out (probably ground) on pin1 of a rectangular 6-pin connector to front VMM pin8 of left-side-top 23 pin connector on VMM, wire is white #18 labeled HORN-SW. If receiving signal for horn, VMM Input LED #20 should light.
3. VMM sends signal out (I'm guessing +12V) from lower left 35 pin plug on pin7, wire labeled HORN. VMM Output LED #10 should light if 12V is going out on HORN.
4. HORN wire travels left across dash in big-a$$ wire loom to back of steering column where it exits along w/a black (ground) wire labeled 4435 & both end in a Molex connector to connect to hot & ground of the Grover Product p/n 1136 air solenoid.
5. If its all working, 12V on HORN wire operates solenoid to open the air line & send air pressure to horns.
With that you should be able to isolate the non-op horn problem.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:22 PM   #12

By no means am I that knowledgeable about all things Vansco but the front power module [PCM?]acts as a large fuse panel with "self-resetting fuses," so no conventional fuses to check. Some Alpine owners with Vansco units have wired around the afflicted circuit by adding a conventional fuse and relay. Then use the signal from the switch[horn/smart-wheel][note: usually a negative/ground] to activate the relay. Loss of a circuit on the Vansco PCM usually means the unit is in the process of failing but owners have extended the useful life of the unit by adding the aforementioned relays as circuits failed.
PS--unplugging, re-plugging, checking alignment on the pins on all those nasty multi-pin plugs is also an option.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:54 PM   #13

air horn on alpine coach

Thanks to all that helped engineer mike and scout. Have some idle time so will try to figure this out!
Old 12-29-2016, 08:13 AM   #14

Horn Relay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmllol View Post
Found solenoid but tested wires no power. Yes we rebooted system but there is no power to solenoid, and on 2008 models the solenod is located just under the steering column, Now we need to find a fuse. Called rv corral and they said there are no fuses to the Vasco module just reboot whch means turn power off for 15 seconds. Still no power to the solenoid. still no horn!
Hello, here are some thoughts on your problem. I have a 2008 Alpine and have had some things stop working (radio,step) I have the Vansco system also and have had to cycle the power to the modules several times to get them back in operation. Also to eliminate the Vansco module you can swap the front and back modules and see if that corrects the horn problem.

Hope you get it solved.

Tags
cat, solenoid