Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #1

Air Horn Stopped working - Urgent

2006 Alpine 38FD - My air horn stopped working and I am not sure where to start looking for the problem. I have looked in the generator compartment in front and under the dash and have not found anything that looks like it goes to the air horn. I have a Xantrex system and have tried turning off all of the power and resetting as I understand that this system takes the place of some of the fuses. Any help would be appreciated as I have to have the MH safety inspected in 5 days.
Duane
iamduane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2014, 04:10 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Duane, I know this is a Alpine Forum, just a couple of questions for ya as mine also did not work one day, and my questions were the result of mine not working. Is the switch on the dash "on" to shut off the air horn?(if you have one) and is the Coach's air pressure up(120+lbs.)?
Old 02-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #3

I cannot find any switches for the air horn and I do not have another manual horn that I have found. My air bags are up and all low air alarms are off. The horn did not work even after driving 200 miles.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:47 PM   #4

I would first remove the panel in front of the passengers seat. Push the horn button. Input 20 and out put 10 LED's of the multiplex module should light up. The key doe not need to be on. If they do light up the horn solenoid is more than likely bad. I just replaced mine. It is located on the firewall behind the shroud covering the steering column.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:52 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I just ordered a new solenoid today. My coil has a dead short internally.

Located on the firewall behind the shroud covering the steering column.

Grover # 1136, 12v air solenoid valve.
Gary Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:26 AM   #6

Thanks - Input 20 lights up and output 10 flashes - I will get up on the roof and check the connection - any idea where the signal or air is sent to the horn from. Does the same air pump that supplies air to the air bags send air to the horn? When I first start the engine it takes a long time for the low air alarm to go off 15-30 minutes.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:48 AM   #7

My Alpine is a 2000 so your air system may be different, but my low air lights only take about 1-2 minutes to go out when I start up from having dumped and levelled. I say 20-30 minutes is WAY too long. You may have a leak in the air system somewhere.

Geoff
Old 02-06-2014, 08:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamduane View Post
Thanks - Input 20 lights up and output 10 flashes - I will get up on the roof and check the connection - any idea where the signal or air is sent to the horn from. Does the same air pump that supplies air to the air bags send air to the horn? When I first start the engine it takes a long time for the low air alarm to go off 15-30 minutes.
Two reasons why it would take 15-30 min to air up:
- leak - and given you have no air horn this could be the cause
- faulty compressor
KBolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:35 PM   #9

Sounds like you need the air compressor changed. At fast idle it should take about 1 minute to fully air up. Had to replace mine a few years ago when I had the same issue. I also had to replace the solenoid on my air horns as that is a common failure item. Yes the air for the horns does come from the same supply as the air bags.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:38 PM   #10

The air comes from the same source. Replace the solenoid. 10 flashing may be caused from a dead short in the solenoid. When you gain access to the solenod 1st see if it clicks as you press the horn button. After cutting the wires to the solenoid check if 10 still flashes, I doubt it will. If it does there probably is a problem with Vansco module.

If after airing up if the low air pressure alarm goes off than you have plenty of air pressure for the horn. My horn will make noses at about 10-20 PSI.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #11

I believe if you clip the solenoid out of the circuit, press horn button & #10 output flashes still, it is indicating backfeed on the ouput line or still registering trouble in the circuit. If it goes to solid on w/horn button pushed, then circuit is OK & there's a short in solenoid coil.

I agree 15-30 minutes is too long to air up. Probably a leak. Here is a years long thread on air leak that will enthrall & amaze small children. Here is another w/some fun pictures. That'll keep you out of trouble for a while.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:15 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
horn broken, watch for finger bumper sticker from Zazzle.com
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:41 AM   #13

The problem was the solenoid. Thanks - The air Problem turned out to be a leaky Actuator on the Park Brake
Old 02-23-2014, 07:43 AM   #14

The problem was the solenoid. Thanks - The air Problem turned out to be a leaky Actuator on the Park Brake