Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:01 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Air Intake Hose Clamp

I was cleaning my engine service bay and noticed the clamp on the air intake tube, (the one you can see when the bay door is open, on the upper left corner, thru a cut out in the metal back plate), was loose, I tightened it to its stop, and the rubber hose is still slightly loose, this is before the filter, so not super critical, but it may allow a small amount of dirty air to come in before the normal air intake area. It is a R.G. Ray clamp, the clamp is probably a minimum 24" in diameter, max might be 26". I think I need one that goes from 23" to 25". I am not sure how tight I can get it yet. I was wondering if anyone has had to change this clamp on theirs? And if so, where did you get it. I looked at the RGRay web site and it dosent list one that big, if no one replys to this, I will call them and maybe it is a special order....Thanks, Mike.

Mike and Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2011, 08:54 AM   #2

Mine is the same way. I have not bothered with it yet but probably should. If you get the proper clamp please post the number.

05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:04 AM   #3

If its before the filter canister, I wouldnt bother. Lots of opportunities for dirt to enter the air intake at or before that point.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:59 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
RG Ray responded to buy the clamp from the manufacturer....i.e. WRV.....I guess they havent supplied clamps to WRV for a few years and dont know they are out of business. I know this isnt critical, but I am going to check around and see if its available anywhere else and post a update when possible....Mike.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:05 PM   #5

Mike & Amy,

I would bet McMaster Carr would have it.
Hope you both are having fun and relatively trouble free.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:53 PM   #6

Would any of the screw clamps available here work?
Old 06-30-2011, 09:16 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Hi Ted..we are having a great summer, we are in Silverton, CO for the month of July. The Alpine is very comfortable and we havent had any major problems. I thought the turbo was whining louder than it did when we bought it, I took it to a Cummins dealer and everything checked out ok, so that was good, but there is still a whine....... As for the clamp, McMaster Carr only sells up to 14", but they offer a "make any size kit" with a minimum 10' band included, so I will try that.....Thanks....Amy says Hi!!
EngineerMike, thanks for the input, I checked their site and they only offer screw clamps up to 20', maybe I can put two together, maybe two 14"...??.. As a few people have told me, it is not critical, but I would rather the intake air came from its upper outside inlet source, rather than down lower where the air is dirtier from everything the tires can kick up. Mike.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:21 PM   #8

I'd rather get cleaner air as well.
That was my thought- get two or three longer band clamps that can be end-connected to make one larger one. If you can yard on it sufficiently to achieve tightness, you could also substitute some thick zip ties; the fat ones are 175# tension capable, so that oughta do it. Another solution is stainless tie wire; I have a gizmo to do a double or quadruple wrap of tie wire and then cinch it to a crimp. I have a coupla these patches now hard at work on my coach, including one on the pitman arm/ball joint grease cup (it fractured badly, and the double wire wrap holds it together to maintain grease in the ball joint fitting).
Old 07-02-2011, 12:11 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
M&A:

I have not looked at mine yet, but is that hose 24" in diameter or 24" in circumference? Clamps are listed by diameter, so a 24" circumference hose would use a 4" clamp (which is still a good size, though easily available).
Old 07-02-2011, 12:27 AM   #10

Would it be passable to fasten two or three clamps in series to get the length needed.
I have pulled this trick a few times. Just a thought from a guy who likes to keep it simple.

Dick.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Takepride, very good point, it is actually 24" in circumference, and maybe 7" in diameter, my mistake, so EMike, and Ted III, the sites you suggested have clamps that will work. Not as difficult to find as I had made it out to be thinking it was 24" in diameter!! Thanks everyone!! Mike.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
M&A:

Obviously my math is a little lacking, but the theory was there....

Before you order that clamp, you might remeasure that circumference. A 24" circumference is an 8" (7.64") diameter.

circumference = 2 x pi (3.1416) x radius (half of diameter) so,

24" = 2 x 3.1416 x radius or,

24/ 2 x 3.1416 = radius

3.82 = radius

radius x 2 = diameter, so

3.82 x 2 = diameter

7.64 = diameter

An 8" clamp would be required.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Takepride, Thanks again, I figured I would get a 8" as long as it has a good length of slots.....Mike.