Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2011, 04:40 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Air leak

I started the ol Alpine today, steped outside, then returned to air leaking from under the dash. I discovered one air line on the primary side of, I assume, the air pressure warning system. air leaking from the secondary fitting. Is there supposed to be a plug on the secondary fitting or is the control shot? I could find no wayward air line or fitting.

Help please!
Brad
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #2

Brad,
It sounds like the Atica gauge is leaking internally. They only have 1 hose hooked to it and no plug. I Installed an analog air pressure gauge to monitor air pressure. I also defeated the low pressure beep by probing the air port and shorting/opening the internal switch. I also probably got luck defeating the switch. You can get a replacement gauge cluster from Atica. Do a search you are not the first to have thus problem. I made my modification at least 2 years ago.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:39 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Wayne
Any idea how you managed to override the alarm and where did you put the gauge?
Old 12-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #4

Brad,

I probed the air fitting on the cluster with an awl. This procedure probably caused an open in the small pressure switch.

05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
That looks good! Thank you for your help.
Brad
Old 12-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #6

Brad- it can also be a leak at the line/fitting interface. The PEX tubing can get frayed or take a set and leak at the o-ring inside the fitting. I have that condition currently, but it reseals itself (stops hissing) once the pressure builds to >~90psi or so. the fix in that event (sounds like yours never seals) is to first dump air, then compress the uppermost ring on the fitting to "release" the tubing from the fitting's bite, pull the tubing out, and trim off the portion of tube that is deformed, then push the tubing back into the fitting till it pops past the o-ring (you can also use a paper clip or toothpick end to measure the depth you should achieve and watch for that when inserting). Restart coach and check for leak. If its no better, then the fitting is broken per Wayne's description and needs bypassing or replacing. I did one for a customer recently, was ~$125 for the part from Actia iirc, and is a simple drop in installation. Take care to mark the wire loom plugs for same location on re-install, as it will look confusing if you (I) walk away from it for more than 10 seconds and come back.

I haven't seen it, but could also be that the fitting has backed out & no longer seals at its screw base (standard thread). There is a teeny flat o-ring at the base that might have cracked or be loose, in which case replace or tighten as applicable.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:51 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Mike,
Thank you for the information. This is not leaking around the tubing going in. It is all coming from the fitting which has no hose attached and will not buidl pressure because all the air is passing out through the secondary inlet. Not sure what that might have been used for. I could probably plug or crimp the hose to stop the air loss but I don't know how long I could stand the dam noise.
Brad
Old 12-02-2011, 11:09 PM   #8

Brad- the second air port was used in Avalanche models that had air brakes, one port for front brakes, second port for rear, and the Avalanche had dual air gauges on the dash.

You can get a short piece of 1/4" o.d. tubing w/a push-on end cap (H.D. or Lowes or a good plumbing supply joint) to stab into the empty port to see if that seals the leak, cost maybe $4 vs $125 for a new cluster PCB (you only get the printed circuit board, you reuse the lens & gasket which you take off the old assembly.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:08 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
I was wondering what the second port was used for. I will try the plug! I talked with Actia and they said they would repair it, circa $150.

Thank you,
Brad

Tags
leak