Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #1

Unhappy Air Scoop remounting?

My air scoop (top rear of the motorhome) has broken loose, and needs to be remounted.
I noticed it because the flag holder, that I have mounted to the top of my ladder to the roof, was broken.....and I climbed the ladder to see what was going on....and the AirScoop had broken loose (I believe in two places, the right side and the middle). The angle bracket was, I believe, fatigued enough that it broke on the right side...I haven't got the scoop off yet to see what's happened in the middle.

Has anyone ever had that experience? How did you repair it?

Mike Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #2

This has been discussed several times over the years. Search the threads on this forum for answers.

Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #3

I did search

but under those terms....there are no hits
Mike Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #4

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/rear-air-deflector-6654.html
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Check using the keyword: "spoiler". Many of us belong to the "Lost Spoiler Club". At least your's is still attached. Good luck, Matt
zinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #6

Mike,
I believe this link will provide you with more extensive information regarding your broken brackets:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/air-dam-or-rear-spoiler-replacement-62725.html

I rebuilt all of my brackets in place, and would not recommend that method unless you want to spend more time and effort than it takes to simply replace the existing brackets. I used 2024T3 aircraft aluminum angle to create a shear-web structure on each bracket, this is very labor intensive and definitely not the preferred method to re-secure your spoiler. My recommendation, and I know of at least one other Alpine owner that used this method, would be to completely remove the spoiler and all of the brackets. Then fabricate new brackets using the old brackets as patterns.

My first choice of materials would be 4130 chrome moly steel in any thickness you feel comfortable in working with, such as .070, .080, or .090 should be sufficient.

Aluminum would be my second choice, but here you will want to consider thicker material and allow even more material for the radius of your bends. I personally would use 2024T3 aluminum as it is a standard for aircraft structures. 6063T4 aluminum is a good alloy, but has just a bit more temper than the 2024T3, and it is weldable, but I still prefer 2024-T3 for all around ease of use and strength.

Whatever you decide for material, definitely make certain that you or your fabrication shop uses the proper bend radius for the type and thickness of material. Any good sheet metal shop will have no problem making these brackets. Again, I must stress the importance of having the proper bend radius. This information for material type and thickness is readily available on the internet. WRV was infamous for making nearly all their bend radii way too small, thus producing fatigue cracks in aluminum and steel brackets. This is exactly the reason for the broken spoiler brackets and ultimately the loss of the spoiler in some cases. Check out other posts for broken brackets on the radiator compartment grill and the access door for the holding tanks; many owners have had these brackets fail due to insufficient bend radius.

In the various posts you will find many methods of attaching the brackets to the end cap and also the spoiler to the brackets. I used epoxy and self tapping screws for the bracket to end cap, followed with a liberal amount of sealant. The bracket to spoiler was also fastened with epoxy and secured with aircraft sheet metal screws and nuts. All of this hardware is completely covered by the rear running lights. Utilizing this type of hardware will eliminate the use of WRV’s notoriously weak pop rivets. My repair has proven to be very strong and has been in place for several years now with no reoccurring problems.

An excellent source for these materials is Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co. They have their complete, and extensive, catalog online at www.aircraftspruce.com. Their phone is 1-877-477-7823
Old 02-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #7

Wow! After reading this thread and searching for more info on our spoilers I couldn't get out to the shop and take a look at mine quick enough. I grabbed a hold of the spoiler and gave it a good shake. It's solid and I could see no cracks anywhere on all the brackets. I'll always check for issues from now on. Is this more of an issue with 04 and newer coaches that have the mounted spoiler? Or are there some early models that have had theirs come loose?
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #8

Its more of an issue w/05 & 06 coaches. WRV probably safed $0.40 per coach w/a newly redesigned super-duper cost-of-goods-sold-friendly thinner'ncrap metal bracket design, for which they paidway more than they saved over the entire production run w/the first spoiler repair they had to do, and lost tons more money on every repair after that.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #9

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Its more of an issue w/05 & 06 coaches. WRV probably safed $0.40 per coach w/a newly redesigned super-duper cost-of-goods-sold-friendly thinner'ncrap metal bracket design, for which they paidway more than they saved over the entire production run w/the first spoiler repair they had to do, and lost tons more money on every repair after that.
If your spoiler blows off, you might find one along the road between Dallas & Corpus Christi. That's where mine blew off and we got a new one at Camp WRV.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #10

It affected '04 models also, including mine. I didn't lose mine but almost did. And a friend with another '04 lost two.

I remounted mine and 5 years later it is still solid. I bolted construction steel angle brackets to my brackets (minus the bend) and pop riveted the spoiler back on. Pretty easy and cheap fix.