Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-14-2005, 04:47 PM   #1

I just bought a used 1999 40 footer. My question is about the air fitting in the engine check station cowling. Does this have enough pressure to fill the 100+ tires on the coach? I suppose it bleeds completely off when the engine is not running and we 'dump' air? I plan to change the fitting to match all my air tools and buy a 50ft. hose to keep in the coach to facilitate airing up all the tires on the coach and toad. (if there is high enough pressure there). thanks in advance..
Dennis

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2005, 04:47 PM   #2

I just bought a used 1999 40 footer. My question is about the air fitting in the engine check station cowling. Does this have enough pressure to fill the 100+ tires on the coach? I suppose it bleeds completely off when the engine is not running and we 'dump' air? I plan to change the fitting to match all my air tools and buy a 50ft. hose to keep in the coach to facilitate airing up all the tires on the coach and toad. (if there is high enough pressure there). thanks in advance..
Dennis

Old 11-14-2005, 05:06 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

You should have plenty of pressure there but I find that if I run my ISL at fast idle it helps.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 05:26 PM   #4

At the "gearhead" session at the homecoming rally, the Cummins rep said that the air pressure governor will run up to ~120 psi, then shut off until the pressure drops to 90 psi. According to him, you will not have enough pressure for tires, depending on where the governor is in its cycle. I have not tried it myself. He did say there is a new governor that will keep the pressure above 115 psi.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:17 PM   #5

The problem for air tools is no air storage. The $25,000 Cummins air compressor runs while on the road or idling. Then when I dump air to level coach, all the volume drains out. Start the coach to recharge the volume, & coach air bags raise coach off the frame. To run air tools w/out running the $25k compressor, you'll need to add air storage, or add an aux compresor.
For storage, I'd recommend the space under the main slide between frame rail & ext. of coach. There's about 10" of headroom above the usable storage space that isn't useable for much else. Sears has a 5 gallon air can for $25; 2 or 3 could fit in this space. You can add a check valve in the OEM coach air line, then a tee to the air can(s), then the air chuck.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:22 PM   #6

Thanks for the input. I didn't mean to implay I wanted to run air tools. I would just like to be able to air up the toad's or dolly's tires from this supply. Sounds like if we air up an aux. tank while the engine is running, we can run around airing up smaller tires.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:04 AM   #7

denwhit, I don't believe you should need a storage tank to fill your toad or dolly tires. As was stated above, once the compressor drops to 90PSI it will begin to run and not shut off until it reaches app. 120PSI. That should handle your smaller tires with ease. The air pressure will come directly from the compressor. You should not require a tank.

Ted Ulmer
2005 Alpine 34'
2006 PT Cruiser w/Demco dolly
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:11 AM   #8

The one measurement that has not been discussed with the Cummins compressor is CFM(cubic feet per minute). Every air tool has a requirement for so much CFM. If the compressor has that capability it will operate that air tool. Keep in mind that the engine would need to be running to do this. The majority of air tools operate on 90 PSI if the compressor can maintain that pressure. Do any of us know what the CFM is for this compressor?

Ted Ulmer

Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote