Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2009, 06:56 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Air system filter

I have heard mention of a desicant(sp) filter for the compressed air system. Can someone direct me as to how to get at the filter and the part number?

Brad
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2009, 12:13 AM   #2

IIRC, yours is behind the rear-most PS panel (the one w/the fuel filter and air chuck). It has a black rubber chisel shape on the bottom for ejecting water. Theory, again IIRC, is the desiccant absorbs water when engine is warming up, then has a heater element that drives off water once warmed. Desiccant eventually goes bad and needs to be changed, or whole unit can be R&R'd. You can get parts at a Freightliner or Cummins or online at places like Ryder Fleet Products, etc.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:16 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Mike, I did not notice any procedures or manuals on ACA's site. Is there one and I just missed it? How often should this be done. FWIW, I was in that compartment today, changing the air filter and draining the Water/Fuel Filter. So that big black thing was it as I did wondered what that was.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:49 AM   #4

I assume you are talking about the air dryer. This may be different on your coach but on mine it is a Bendix AD-9, this is used on the majority of diesel trucks etc. You should not need to change the desiccant for at least 3 years. Go to their website for the service data sheet SD-08-2412. (http://www.bendix.com/en-us/service/.../SDSheets.aspx). I recently serviced mine and it wasn't that difficult.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks,
I forgot to notice the Mfg. thinking they would all be the same. I guess just bleed the air off and go from there?
Old 10-11-2009, 02:17 PM   #6

When you bleed the air check if there is much moisture being expelled, that is a sign the desiccant is no longer working. Some oil mist is normal.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:44 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
John,
Thanks, maybe I won't have to mess with that now.