Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2015, 05:41 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Airbag Alarms

After starting my Avalanche out of the Barn for a trip, I got a Front Air Bag alarm on my Dashboard. The front airbag is only filling to about 50 PSI. How serious might this be and can it still be driven on a short run. ?
Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2015, 09:10 PM   #2

Front air bag ??
Do you mean front air tank, with the gauge showing only 50 PSI.?
And a low air alarm sounding.
If your air suspension system takes it's supply from the front tank and has a leak big enough that the air pressure won't build and raise the coach, you could have issues with clearances turning, or the drive shaft angle, binding the U joints. You also run the risk of completely running out of air and having the park brakes automatically apply , stopping you on the road.

There is a slight possibility that you have a suspension dump valve stuck open , have you tried , a complete air suspension dump and restarting the coach, to see if it could stop leaking on a re-start.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:10 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
If only the front bags are low, you could drive slowly to a shop. If the rear bags are low, your drive shaft would be out of alignment and would put a strain on the U-joints. Just make sure your air pressures stay up to give you braking. You might look underneath and see if you can see a torn bag or leaking air hose before moving it. Air up then look under. If you have leveling jacks, put them down and raise the frame a bit, even better if you have proper jack stands or wood blocks to raise it up.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:12 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks for the feedback...looks like I'll cancel the trip for now.
( I started the Coach this morning and stepped out to watch it and it looks like it raised the front like it always does...Now, I'm totally confused!)
Old 07-17-2015, 08:11 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
...And the warning Beeper stills yells at me !
Old 07-17-2015, 08:32 AM   #6

As you probably know, very few of the Avalanche models made it to the market, so the vast majority of Alpine onwers on this forum are unfamiliar with many features of your coach. As a minimum, you coach has air brakes and air bag leveling--I believe. Agree, with previous posts, sounds like an air leak near/around the front bag leveling or dump valves--assume back bags/air tank is filling completely?
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:18 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Old Scout, According to my Owner's Manual, My Avalanche has "Air-Assisted Hydraulic Brakes" ??? . I watched from outside of the Coach while it was rising and the front looks like it is all the way up as usual but the Gauge says it is at 50 psi and the alarm is beeping. I don't know what to think ! The Coach has a NEWAY Suspension System.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:26 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
50 lbs should be enough to give braking a few times, but pumping the tredal for a couple of applications of the brake could bleed you down far enough to have the parking brake automatically apply. You probably have at least 2 air pressure gauges, are they both reading the same? After airing up, turn off the engine and listen for leaking air and watch how long it takes for pressure to drop. That will give an indication if it's a serious leak or possibly just a faulty alarm.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-17-2015, 11:10 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Bob, I raised the Coach and checked it about 2 hours later and it was still up. The Gauges show 50psi in the Front and almost 150psi in the rear. And, when I Dump the air it still shows 50 and 150 on the gauges when I turn the key on again.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:16 PM   #10

Believe the brakes in front are air over hydraulic disc and the rear are traditional air and brake drums with two reserve tanks, one front and one in the rear......Think Bob is on to it--first concern would be that engine compressor isnt pumping up to "full" but rear tank gauge suggests it is--good news...
Like most Alpines, I have to assume parking brake is controlled by your rear reserve tank so activation of parking brake is probably not an issue.
If compressor is keeping rear tank "full" and bags are inflating in the front, am starting to believe there is a gauge issue with the front tank-- fact that front gauge doesnt go above 50 psi but then doesnt drop to 0 after engine is shut down doesnt compute.
Think I would assure myself that leveling and air bag dump valves [two of each on front axle] are not leaking, then I'd focus on a faulty front air gauge.....suspect gauge and low air alarm are connected/related......
PS--as name suggests, believe reserve tanks hold air after bags are dumped so 150 psi remaining in rear tank makes sense.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:26 PM   #11

Not familiar with an air over hydraulic on Alpines.

Most common was hydraulic over hydraulic.

Though the few air brake coaches were standard air (air only) brakes.
wolfe10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:15 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
I agree with Old Scout, sounds like a bad gauge/alarm. Dumping the air bags shouldn't bleed all the air from the tanks. Did you listen for hissing from underneath after shutting down engine?

Typically air-over-hydraulic brakes are used in the case of disk brakes, the air adds pressure to the brake fluid, much the way vacuum boost works in vehicles. My '98 Spartan chassis has 4 disk brakes with air-over-hydraulic.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-18-2015, 08:21 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks to all of you for the comments. I have an Appointment at Brattain International in Albany Tuesday so it will get checked out and fixed. As usual, the great folks at Irv2 have been very helpful...Thanks Again.