Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2017, 10:29 AM   #1

Airconditioning not draining

Has anyone cleaned the drain for the front airconditioner. The back one looked pretty easy by disconnecting the drain hose at the "T" and blowing are through the hoses. The front one I see the drain hose but not the tee. Does anyone know where the drain hoses exit the coach?
Alpine 03 34FDDS
Alpine03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2017, 10:56 AM   #2

I have a drain underneath my fuel tank fill
Czarmarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:48 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
The drain tube on mine exits at the PS front wheel well.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:10 PM   #4

Front A/C drain tube on 2003 drains thru the floor of the wet bay [sewer tanks]. Tubes on front unit are configured the same as the back unit -- two cups [one on either side of unit], connect by a tube side to side, and then tee-ed to the drain tube going to the wet bay.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:38 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Hey Old Scout,
How do I clear the front AC drain or unplug it?
Whatever - It drips over the front door.
Thanks
tjshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:42 PM   #6

On my 06 the cup that Old Scout refers to on my front AC is broken and the condensate never makes it down the tube, it empty's out on the roof. I think the reason it is cracked is that the antenna cable for the radio is positioned underneath it. I want to replace this part which involves removing the AC but according to PPL, Dometic does not make this part anymore.

We are on vacation this week and have been using the AC a lot. I have removed the interior shroud so I can see if any of that water is making its way around the seal and leaking into the roof interior. So far so good. Does anyone know where I can get this part. I believe it is called Base Pan Kit 3103179.010. If I can't find this part I will remove the AC unit and try to repair the part I have.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:52 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjshively View Post
Hey Old Scout,
How do I clear the front AC drain or unplug it?
Whatever - It drips over the front door.
Thanks

TJ, on our 2005 38 FDTS, the front AC unit drains on the driver's side in front of the front wheel, not back st the wet bay. Your 36' might be different, I would look there.

As a temporary fix, have you tried slightly raising the passengers side so any water on the roof would drain to the driver's side? It would only take a little bit to get the water to flow, so little that you would never feeling the out of level position in the floor.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:46 PM   #8

Agree--OP post started with a question on 03s--not that things didn't change, even within model year, but like to think I am a pretty good "guesser" on 2003s [smile]. At some point, WRV did move the front unit drain tube to the front cab windshield post. Over the years, I have had issues with both the drain cups cracking and the tubes plugging. I have been able to unplug the tubes with a good puff of air from me [lungs]. I tried to fabricate new cups from both metal and PVC pipe caps--both were a pain as the barbed tube connectors go thru the foam gasket and are a pain to dig out and re-install. Finally, went direct to Dometic and got a "cup kit"--about $60. Thought it was an outrageous price but kit included cups, connectors, and cross-tubing AND one [maybe two] new roof gasket[s] to re-seal the unit on the roof--helped justify the $60. I used two roof gaskets per unit to get more clearance for the cups. Used hard rubber blocking around the parameters of the units to distribute weight and keep gaskets from being crushed over time....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 07-12-2017, 07:17 PM   #9

Hmmm... I wonder what the life span of these units are. Mine are 12 years old. I just replaced the shrouds on both of my AC's. Now I need cups, gasket's etc... Maybe it's best to live with what I got and get new units when the time comes.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:24 PM   #10

Rick, based on my experience, 12 years is really good, perhaps even a record....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 07-12-2017, 08:38 PM   #11

Probably best to just wait and replace.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrthor View Post
On my 06 the cup that Old Scout refers to on my front AC is broken and the condensate never makes it down the tube, it empty's out on the roof. I think the reason it is cracked is that the antenna cable for the radio is positioned underneath it. I want to replace this part which involves removing the AC but according to PPL, Dometic does not make this part anymore.

We are on vacation this week and have been using the AC a lot. I have removed the interior shroud so I can see if any of that water is making its way around the seal and leaking into the roof interior. So far so good. Does anyone know where I can get this part. I believe it is called Base Pan Kit 3103179.010. If I can't find this part I will remove the AC unit and try to repair the part I have.

https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-31076...oner+drain+kit

I have ordered this kit and replaced on both front and rear ac's.

Paul
Old 07-13-2017, 09:33 AM   #13

While I agree there can be a number of causes of the built-in condensate drain not working, I would sure start with the easiest first:

Locate the drain hose where it exits the bottom of the coach. Push on an "extension hose" with the same ID as the OD of the drain hose. 5-6' of clear hose should be enough that you can do this without actually getting any of this in your mouth.

Suck on it-- do NOT blow. Sucking should pull loose any clog. Blowing into it will free it up for a short time, but all of the material causing the clog to do it again.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:38 PM   #14

Never though I would be debating "blowing vs sucking" on IRV2. I have had excellent results blowing but sooner or later the cups need to be cleaned/repaired. So disconnect hoses at the tees and blow. My worst experience with sucking involved "borrowing" gas as a teenager--not a good outcome on several levels [smile].
New Braunfels, Texas