Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2007, 01:41 PM   #1

I'm going to stop in Moab Utah for a week on the way to the Albuquerque Heritage Rally. The dates are September 23rd to approximately October 2nd at Canyonlands Campground. If you are into off-roading, this is where the Holy Grail of Jeepin' was written. I will lead trips to the best Slick Rock trails in the area. I know the best camping and dining spots. The vista's are breathtaking.

Danny

Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2007, 01:41 PM   #2

I'm going to stop in Moab Utah for a week on the way to the Albuquerque Heritage Rally. The dates are September 23rd to approximately October 2nd at Canyonlands Campground. If you are into off-roading, this is where the Holy Grail of Jeepin' was written. I will lead trips to the best Slick Rock trails in the area. I know the best camping and dining spots. The vista's are breathtaking.

Danny

Old 04-30-2007, 03:04 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Danny, unfortunately, I don't think our Yukon can do the same things as your Jeep...these pics are great...so, we won't be able to go off-roading with you. But, I have to tell you that we love Moab...it is a great place to spend several days or a week! Sure wish we could go...
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:36 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I've been to Moab lots of times, with a Jeep and without. We even shot a bunch of cable TV commercials there one year with an 8 man crew. The nice thing about Moab is that you don't need a Jeep. There is such a variety there that there is plenty to see with whatever toad you bring. If you do want to go serious off-roading you can rent a Jeep on almost any street corner in Moab.

You guys are going to love it there.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:07 PM   #5

If I was going, I would bring my mountain bike since Moab has some of the best mountain biking areas too. Unfortunately, Cyndi and I cant make it to Albuquerque or to Moab this year.. maybe next? Lets hope so!
hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:36 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Danny, Renee and I would like to hook up with you, Claudia and Randy.

We are looking forward to the experience at Moab.

Gary
Gary Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:25 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary A.:
Danny, Renee and I would like to hook up with you, Claudia and Randy.

We are looking forward to the experience at Moab.

Gary </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Gary, now with you confirming for Moab, I feel like we are really missing out.

Joanne and I had a great time in Moab in April with Danny, but we are considering going to Oregon (pre-rally & Redmond), so a longer Oct trip will be out of the question.

Gary, this time remove your tow bar before you hit the trail, unless you're planning on getting towed off the trail!

See you all in Alb, if not earlier in Aug!

Jeff Schultz
Jeff_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:16 AM   #8

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort https://www.twospringsrv.com/
Greetings from the beautiful shore of Lake Conroe Texas,

Moab is one of our favorite places in the country and right on the way so count us in. From your pictures, I take it that these mountain goat paths are not meant for my 4WD Dodge Durango. HA!
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:42 AM   #9

The trails I prefer to run in Moab are definitely to tuff for a stock vehicle, most are on the list of forbidden trails for the rental Jeep Rubicons. If we have enough interest, we can do some of the easier trails. I believe the other trails are just as scenic.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:14 PM   #10

I was told that all the Jeep Safari trails, except Prichet Canyon, have bypasses on the tough spots that give a trail its rating. If that is true, us stockers ('06 Rubicon) could use the bypass if a tough spot is too tough. What are your comments on that, Danny?
Chuck Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:40 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck Thomas:
I was told that all the Jeep Safari trails, except Prichet Canyon, have bypasses on the tough spots that give a trail its rating. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, many obstacles have bypasses, but I would tend to disagree your trail rating logic. Trails are usually listed at the minimum rating/req'd and there are "options" that can be taken to make the trail even more challenging.

Never get on a trail rated higher than what you can handle and expect bypasses around the hardest parts.

Neverless, your stock Rubi can handle many trails w/o any issues, just choose carefully.

Check out this link to the organizers of the Easter Jeep Safari. Page 1 is the index to the whole magazine. Page 36-37 is a nice map.

Also, this link to a list and description of most of the Moab 4WD trails.

Danny and I ran the following trails this past April:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Fins & Things (3 1/2)
<LI>Gold Bar Rim (3 1/2)
<LI>Cliff Hanger (4)
<LI>Metal Masher (4)
<LI>Poison Spider Mesa (4)
<LI>Golden Spike (4+)
<LI>H*ll's Revenge (4+)
<LI>Moab Rim (4+)[/list]I think Danny and I would agree most trails are rated properly. (maybe H*ll's Revenge 0.5 less)

{Jeep profile: '03 Rubicon w/ 6" long arm lift w/ 35" tires + more "stuff"}
Old 05-15-2007, 09:19 AM   #12

I have never been on the Jeep Safari so I am not familiar with the trails they take. Many of the trails have obstacles that can be bypassed, many do not.

Moab Rim, Cliff Hanger, Poison Spider, Golden Crack and others I have been on have no bypasses for the tough obstacles. If you have a list of the trails for the Safari maybe, we can run a few of them.
If we run in a pack we can go just about anywhere!

Danny
Old 05-15-2007, 02:19 PM   #13

All of the trails that Jeff mentioned are on "Red Rock 4 Wheelers" list of over 40 trails that they rate and review the ratings annually prior to Jeep Safari Week so there are a lot of trails. About half are rated 3.5 or higher. Only 3 of these trails will not specify 33"+ tires under the new 1 to 10 rating system that will take effect in 2009.

Setting skill level aside, and given we all have comparable equipment, I would agree with you, Danny, that running in a pack, we can go just about anywhere. But 31" tires will not negotiate a 4 rated obstacle that has a huge shelf like 33+" tires will. Thus, my stock Rubi restricts me in developing the skill level that you and Jeff enjoy with your more highly modified rigs. Like Jeff said, pick the trails carefully, and don't take on a trail your equipment or skill can't handle. We still plan to come as we planned it even before your offer. I don't expect we will try any of your 4+ trails though.
Chuck Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:03 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck Thomas:
... my stock Rubi restricts me in developing the skill level that you and Jeff enjoy with your more highly modified rigs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'll give you more credit than that. With a stock rig, you'll definately develop skills that will make you even better if you ever lift your Jeep. To some degree, my equipment can take the place of skill in getting over an obstacle.

Danny amazes me sometimes with his handling of an obstacle. Sometimes I'll have more trouble than he does on the same feature (more height can be a disadvantage at times). I needed two days of offroading in Moab just to get back into the groove. I finally found the right tire pressures (9psi) on the 3rd or 4th day out, which helped tremendously over the tough stuff.

I'm sure you guys will pick some excellent trails that will be enjoyable and challenging for everybody. I'm just sorry I'm gonna miss out on it.

Jeff.